Host response time
When you should message your Host
You’re more than welcome to contact a Host at any time. Sometimes, you’ll have to—other times, it’s simply a good idea.
Unless you’ve found an Instant Book listing, you’ll have to request that the Host accept your stay. At the Confirm and pay stage of your request, you’ll need to include a brief message about why you’re traveling and when you’ll check-in.
Good times to reach out
- Before sending a trip request: You could send a preemptive hello or double-check that their place is available.
- If you have a question: You should be clear about what to expect. Just check the listing description to make sure the answer isn’t already there.
When you’ll hear from them
Hosts have 24 hours to accept or decline your request, but the vast majority reply within 12 hours. Chances are, it’ll be even quicker: More than half of all trip requests are accepted within one hour of the Host reading it.
You can check the status of your trip request any time you like, but you’ll also receive email updates when things change.
When a Host confirms your request, your payment will be processed and collected in full by Airbnb. If they decline or let it expire, you won’t be charged and you’re free to book a different stay.
Need more info from your Host? You can use your Inbox to message the Host or go to your Trips.
Haven’t heard back?
Most Hosts respond within a few hours, but time zones and lack of internet access might slow things down. In the meantime, try reaching out to other Hosts in the area. Just be careful not to send more than one trip request for the same dates to ensure you don’t end up double booked.
Don’t want to wait for a Host response? Try Instant Book listings—they allow you to book immediately without needing to send a request to the Host for approval, provided you’ve completed your account setup.
- GuestIf you can’t get in touch with your HostOnce you have a confirmed reservation, you’ll find the Host’s email and phone number in the message thread for your trip.
- GuestContacting HostsIf you want to find out more about a listing, Host, or experience before booking, you can message the host on Airbnb.
- GuestWhen to message your HostYou can book a reservation without contacting the Host beforehand, but it’s a good idea to message the Host if you have questions.