Suggestions will show after typing in the search input. Use the up and down arrows to review. Use enter to select. If the selection is a phrase, that phrase will be submitted to search. If the suggestion is a link, the browser will navigate to that page.

Changing US taxpayer information

There are different ways of updating and changing US taxpayer information. 

When making changes, it’s important to be aware that Airbnb validates US taxpayer information with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You will receive further communication from us regarding the status of this verification and any additional action which you may need to take.

The tax information we have on record for you as of the end of the year will be used to issue your applicable tax documents (Form 1099 or Form 1042-S).

If you need to correct an error on a tax document issued to you, you must notify us. Please check out our Help Center Article on correcting an error on a tax document.

Updating basic taxpayer information

When you add a taxpayer, you can always update basic information, like their name and address:

  1. Log in to your Account and select Taxes
  2. Go to the Taxpayers section
  3. Click the > icon next to a taxpayer
  4. Click or tap Update tax info

      Changing a US tax form

      Once you add a taxpayer to an account, there are certain details you can't edit. For example: Tax ID numberBusiness entity name, and Tax classification. To change any of these details, you need to replace the tax form with a new one.

      Adding a new tax form:

      1. Log in to your Account and select and select Taxes
      2. Go to the Taxpayers section
      3. Click the > icon next to a taxpayer
      4. Click or tap on Remove Taxpayer
      5. Add, complete and submit the new form

      The new form will be available in the Taxpayer section under Taxes.

      Assigning taxpayers to payout methods

      If you have multiple taxpayers, you need to assign each tax form to the correct payout method:

      1. Log in to your Account and select and go to the Payouts section
      2. Under each payout method, select  on the options menu
      3. Select Assign taxpayer and then select the appropriate tax info

      Tax reporting

      We use taxpayer information for year-end IRS tax information reporting. Pass-Through Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) and resolution payouts don't go through routing rules (if you have them set up) and are sent to the Host's default payout method.

      Default taxpayer

      If you have more than one payout method but haven't added the different taxpayers to the correct payout methods, all payouts get allocated to a single default taxpayer. Unless you specify, this is automatically the first taxpayer which is added to the account.

      Co-Host payouts feature

      If a Host has set up Co-Host payouts, the Co-Host(s) may be required to add their taxpayer information. If eligible, Co-Host(s) will receive their own Form 1099 for payouts received within their own Airbnb account. Please note that Hosts using the Co-Host shared payout feature will still receive a Form 1099 that reports on the full gross reservation amount. Find out more about what amounts are reported for Hosts.

      Validating taxpayer information

      To avoid issuing inaccurate tax documents, Airbnb proactively validates taxpayer information with the IRS. If your taxpayer information is invalid per IRS records, you'll need to update or provide new taxpayer information as soon as possible. 

      The IRS may instruct Airbnb to apply tax withholding to your account until you provide the correct tax information. 

      Email notifications

      You will receive email notifications when we receive your taxpayer information and when it has been validated.

      Invalid status notification

      If Airbnb receives an invalid status notification from the IRS, you'll receive an email informing you of this. Please ensure that the taxpayer information you have provided to us is correct.

      Common errors

      Common reasons you may receive an invalid status are:

      • "Full name” doesn’t correspond to the tax identification number 
      • Name is abbreviated or doesn’t match the full legal name on record with the IRS
      • Incorrect tax identification number

      Learn more about common errors on Form W-9.

      Did this article help?

      Related articles

      Get help with your reservations, account, and more.
      Log in or sign up