Host damage protection
Host damage protection, part of AirCover for Hosts, provides Hosts with $3 million in coverage in the rare event your place or belongings are damaged by a guest during an Airbnb stay. You’re reimbursed for certain damage caused by guests to your home and belongings if the guest does not pay for the damage.
Start an AirCover for Hosts request
File for reimbursement for damage, missing items, or unexpected cleaning.
Host damage protection covers you for:
- Damage to your home, furnishings, valuables, or belongings caused by guests (or their invitees)
- Damage to parked cars, boats, or other vehicles caused by guests (or their invitees)
- Unexpected or extra cleaning costs needed due to the behavior of a guest (or their invitees) during an Airbnb stay—for example, professional carpet cleaning
- Income lost if you need to cancel confirmed Airbnb bookings due to damage caused by a guest (or their invitees)
When you offer an emergency place to stay through Airbnb.org, you’re still covered by Host damage protection.
Host damage protection doesn’t cover:
- Damage from normal wear and tear
- Loss of currency
- Loss due to acts of nature (like earthquakes and hurricanes)
- Injury or property damage to guests or others (those may be covered by Host liability insurance)
- Other exclusions apply
The reimbursement process
Here’s how to get reimbursed if damage does happen during a stay:
- Document the issue by taking photos or videos, getting repair or cleaning estimates, and/or receipt.
- Within 14 days of the responsible guest’s checkout, request reimbursement from them by starting an AirCover for Hosts request in the Resolution Center.
- Your guest will have 24 hours to respond to the request. If they don’t respond, pay partially, or decline payment, you’ll be able to submit a reimbursement request under Host damage protection. Airbnb Support will then step in and review the request. (If the accommodation is in Washington state, our insurer will review the request.)
Keep in mind that if you want to involve Airbnb Support in your AirCover for Hosts request, you will need to do so and submit the supporting documentation of the damage within 30 days of the damage or loss.
How Host damage protection works with cleaning and pet fees
If you choose to include cleaning fees or a pet fee, please keep in mind that they are meant to cover expected costs.
Host damage protection, on the other hand, covers unexpected costs related to additional cleaning or pet damage—for instance, removing smoke odor or replacing your sofa because a dog chewed it up.
To learn more about Host damage protection, go to the terms.
Disclaimer: Host damage protection isn’t an insurance policy. It doesn’t protect Hosts who offer stays in Japan, where Japan Host Insurance applies or Hosts who offer stays through Airbnb Travel LLC. For Hosts who offered stays in mainland China, the China Host Protection Plan applies. Keep in mind that all coverage limits are shown in USD.
For listings in Washington state, Airbnb’s contractual obligations under Host damage protection are covered by an insurance policy purchased by Airbnb. Host damage protection isn’t related to Host liability insurance. Host damage protection is subject to terms, conditions, and exclusions.
- HostAirCover for Hosts is top-to-bottom protection for Airbnb Hosts.
- HostHost liability insurance is a key component of AirCover for Hosts, which is top-to-bottom protection for Airbnb Hosts.
- GuestIf you, someone you invite, or a pet are responsible for damage during a stay, let your Host know right away.