Secluded, stylish and comfortable mid-century cabin in an incredible desert setting.
Perfect getaway for 2, but can accommodate more. One queen sized bed and a couch that folds into a full-sized bed.
This secluded 1940's cabin is decorated in mid-century stylings, has mountain views, and is surrounded by hundreds of acres of pristine desert. You can walk off the west patio and in minutes be in the middle of nowhere, finding trails and rusty treasures, being startled by jackrabbits, and be overwhelmed by silence. The sun set view is GORGEOUS from the back porch swing, and the stars are ridiculously bright… unless of course the moon is waxing or full, then the magical blue light overtakes the sand and stars.
There is one Queen sized bed, and one couch that folds down into a full-sized bed.
The home is "handi-capable" with bathroom bars and extra wide doorways.
There are 3 outdoor patios, 2 swing-sets, outdoor fire pit, gas BBQ, indoor fireplace, indoor and outdoor showers, and 2 freight container art studios available for your use.
There is laundry and full kitchen.
Spring: open windows, windy warm days and amazing wildflowers everywhere
Summer: relaxing outdoor horse tub and shower, and indoor swamp cooler
Fall: warm, open-door days and cozy fireplace nights
Winter: cozy rotatable fireplace in cabin, outdoor fire pit, patio heater, and passive window solar
The property is located on a dirt road 12 minutes from downtown Joshua Tree and a just a few more minutes to Joshua Tree National Park with great hiking, biking, and rock-climbing.
3 freight containers, entire house, and hundreds of acres of desert.
Interaction with Guests
I rarely meet my guests, but I am always accessible via text and e-mail.
Secluded and beautiful!
You need a vehicle.
1. Smoking is allowed outside only.
2. Pets are NOT allowed inside the home.
3. Outdoor noise is to be quieted by 10pm.
4. No fire arms or fireworks are permitted.
5. Fires are to be kept within established fire pit within small, controllable parameters.
6. Motor bikes are to be kept upon established trails, preserving the natural landscape.
7. The property must be returned to its original state, including the return placement of furniture, removal of any "earthworks" and/or "artworks", the removal of any "desert art trash" from the outback brought upon the property, added accoutrements, or other changes to the state in which it was found.
8. Dirty dishes are to be cleaned via hand or the dishwasher; no dirty dishes are to be left at the premises.
9. Trash is to be bagged and disposed of in designated receptacles.
10. Owner is not responsible for any accidents, injuries, illness, or death that occurs while on the premises or its facilities, nor responsible for the losses and/or damages of personal belongings or valuables. All Guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premise or others whom they invite to use the premise, including but not limited to injury or loss of life due to acts of god, wildlife, weather, or use of swings, tools, or other facilities on the property. Owner is not responsible for any legal infractions, penalties, fees, or incarcerations including but not limited to noise, neighbor complaints, outdoor fires, firearms, fireworks, or illegal drug use.
11. Owner is not responsible for loss of internet or electricity due to weather or regional black-outs.
Shangri-La is the most fitting name to Drew's beautiful space - pictures don't do justice. Drew thought of everything (and I mean everything) to make your stay here as easy as possible. The furniture and art is tastefully done. All amenities are in top shape. I know I will be back here... Drew was very helpful throughout our stay. This was my best Airbnb host and experience!
Drew has been so easy to communicate with as our host. We were lucky enough to bump into him in town one evening too! The house is just as advertised though perhaps a little farther out than we had anticipated. Nevertheless if you're looking for a comfortable home in the wilderness to be at one with your better half, or alone, or indeed with a few friends, we can't fault it! Get a hot tub, drew, and then it'll be awesome!
We loved our stay. Drew went out of his way to welcome us, with nice communication before we arrived, and instantaneous replies when we had questions that night.
The place is exactly as described.. or better. He refurbished it himself with painstaking care and detail, and the results are amazing. It's beautiful and chic but also comfortable and functional. A perfect way to experience the desert in style.
Had an incredible time at Shangri-La! The place is just as beautiful as pictured and Drew is a fantastic host - super helpful and welcoming! Highly Recommended!
My husband and I and our daughters had an amazing stay at Drew's beautiful mid-century inspired home. It is evident that a lot of thought and love went into Shangri-La. There are many beautiful and fun details inside and out. The home is very well equipped and Drew was very responsive and provided great information prior to our arrival and in his welcome book. The setting for this home is truly gorgeous and it is the perfect place to feel like you are really getting away. We can't wait to go back again and stay longer.
Shangri-La is everything you expect it to be. It was the perfect getaway for a secluded honeymoon. My husband and I had an amazing time enjoying the home and the property - it's true what the other reviewers say, you really don't want to leave the place! We thought we would get out a lot more but ended up mostly just staying on the property enjoying each other's company. We will definitely be back again and this time with a group of friends!
Drew was a great host. He provided a lot of information about the area before our stay, answered any questions I had, and provided us with everything we needed to find the house and gain access. We never actually met, but I wish we had a chance to thank him for building such a great retreat venue. We were there for a 2 night stay and four of us fit well in the house. We brought an aero bed to put in the living room at night and that worked out really well. We loved the open landscape and undisturbed views. Such a unique place to stay and great and better alternative to the standard hotel/motel. I would love to come back for another stay. Top notch design, attention to detail, and seamless weekend away.
I love traveling the world and believe in travel karma, so I am a courteous guest and attentive, fun host. I am a visual artist, designer, and massage therapist.