About This Listing
Secluded, stylish and comfortable mid-century cabin in an incredible desert setting.
Perfect getaway for 2, but can accommodate more. One queen sized bed and a couch that folds into a full-sized bed.
This secluded 1940's cabin is decorated in mid-century stylings, has mountain views, and is surrounded by hundreds of acres of pristine desert. You can walk off the west patio and in minutes be in the middle of nowhere, finding trails and rusty treasures, being startled by jackrabbits, and be overwhelmed by silence. The sun set view is GORGEOUS from the back porch swing, and the stars are ridiculously bright… unless of course the moon is waxing or full, then the magical blue light overtakes the sand and stars.
There is one Queen sized bed, and one couch that folds down into a full-sized bed.
The home is "handi-capable" with bathroom bars and extra wide doorways.
There are 3 outdoor patios, 2 swing-sets, outdoor fire pit, gas BBQ, indoor fireplace, indoor and outdoor showers, and 2 freight container art studios available for your use.
There is laundry and full kitchen.
Spring: open windows, windy warm days and amazing wildflowers everywhere
Summer: relaxing outdoor horse tub and shower, and indoor swamp cooler
Fall: warm, open-door days and cozy fireplace nights
Winter: cozy rotatable fireplace in cabin, outdoor fire pit, patio heater, and passive window solar
The property is located on a dirt road 12 minutes from downtown Joshua Tree and a just a few more minutes to Joshua Tree National Park with great hiking, biking, and rock-climbing.
3 freight containers, entire house, and hundreds of acres of desert.
Interaction with Guests
I rarely meet my guests, but I am always accessible via text and e-mail.
Secluded and beautiful!
You need a vehicle.
1. Smoking is allowed outside only.
2. Pets are NOT allowed inside the home.
3. Outdoor noise is to be quieted by 10pm.
4. No fire arms or fireworks are permitted.
5. Fires are to be kept within established fire pit within small, controllable parameters.
6. Motor bikes are to be kept upon established trails, preserving the natural landscape.
7. The property must be returned to its original state, including the return placement of furniture, removal of any "earthworks" and/or "artworks", the removal of any "desert art trash" from the outback brought upon the property, added accoutrements, or other changes to the state in which it was found.
8. Dirty dishes are to be cleaned via hand or the dishwasher; no dirty dishes are to be left at the premises.
9. Trash is to be bagged and disposed of in designated receptacles.
10. Owner is not responsible for any accidents, injuries, illness, or death that occurs while on the premises or its facilities, nor responsible for the losses and/or damages of personal belongings or valuables. All Guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premise or others whom they invite to use the premise, including but not limited to injury or loss of life due to acts of god, wildlife, weather, or use of swings, tools, or other facilities on the property. Owner is not responsible for any legal infractions, penalties, fees, or incarcerations including but not limited to noise, neighbor complaints, outdoor fires, firearms, fireworks, or illegal drug use.
11. Owner is not responsible for loss of internet or electricity due to weather or regional black-outs.
Drew was as an accommodating a host as I've ever met on airbnb. His place is absolutely gorgeous and the pictures don't do it justice. My group will surely be back again. Trust me when I say Drew has literally thought of everything, and I mean everything, to make your stay at his place as relaxing, and worry free as possible.
Drew was an awesome host. He was very accommodating upon our arrival and throughout our stay. The place was more than we expected as Drew did an awesome job with the residence. The place had everything an AirBnBer could hope for. We had an awesome time there and would definitely be back and recommend his place to anyone.
we loved Shangri-la. it was magical and loved the location. really well done - we had a great experience and we'll be back! Instructions were easy and Drew made it known that he was available if there were any questions or problems. there were none, just a joyful experience.
Amazing little house in a beautiful spot in the desert.
Drew texted us to welcome us, and sent an email with recommendations for around town. The two nights we spent there were the best of a 10-day southern California vacation. Would highly recommend it and would definitely stay there again.
Our stay was amazing. The place was amazing...the space was amazing...our stay was just amazing! Drew has put in so much thought into the Shangri-la...the pictures don't quite do it justice! He was a great host, very thorough instructions, easily reachable at any time, and very welcoming. Hope to visit again soon!
OMG...the sunsets at this cabin are bananas. It was so beautiful and the space was perfect for what we needed. The decorations including the art just fit the surroundings, and the containers/swings/outdoor patio areas were delightful.
We loved that it was far enough away from town to have a more serene, isolated desert experience, while still being close enough to town that we could go there to visit the lovely restaurants or run to the store as needed. Drew was always extremely responsive if we had questions and just had a very positive energy. It was about a 15 minute drive to the park where we spent many hours hiking and wandering about. About an hour to Palm Springs where we visited the Tramway and had lunch. Really, we just wanted to stay in the desert though and this was perfect.
The horse trough and outdoor shower are particularly lovely given the desert heat. Would definitely go back next time we are in the park.
Shangri-La is truly otherworldly-from sunset to sunrise and everything in between. While it owes a lot to the natural beauty of its surroundings, the design of the space both inside and out is such that you're always able to enjoy the view. The cabin has everything you could possibly need as far as amenities go, and Drew couldn't have been a more helpful or attentive host. We will most certainly be back again.
About the Host, Drew
I love traveling the world and believe in travel karma, so I am a courteous guest and attentive, fun host. I am a visual artist, designer, and massage therapist.