About this listing
Built as our holiday home, we have put a lot of love and affection into bringing together this house. Since we don't use the place throughout the year, we have decided to let others revel in its beauty as well.
- 3 luxurious bedrooms, each with large double beds and attached bathrooms (extra beds are available upon request).
- Outdoor seating is available to enjoy the serene view of the valley below, as well as a bonfire at night.
- The house is surrounded by 150sq kilometers of forest reserve. This creates a sweet and crisp smell of pine in the air.
- The house comes complete with a COOK (who makes a tasty meat curry) and a onsite CARETAKER. We normally proceed on a "meals on actuals" basis - so guests buy the raw materials for whatever they want to eat and/or the cook/caretaker can procure local produce on your behalf.
- At a height of approx. 7000 feet, you do not require a fan, let alone an air conditioner, even in peak summer.
- You get strong mobile reception and we do have Satellite TV (Tata-Sky/Dish TV) there as well.
- On the Chail-Kufri road, at a place called ShilonBagh. About a 30 minute drive from Chail and 15 minute drive from Kufri (please see Map for exact location).
- Driving time from Delhi is approximately 8 hours, for a comfortable journey with a couple of stops, including a meal stop.
- If you prefer to take a train, the Kalka Shatabdi departs twice daily from Delhi. The house is then approx. a 3hour taxi ride up from Kalka.
- The best part about staying up there is that it allows you to re-connect with nature. You are far enough from the distractions of daily life, but close enough to some activity to not feel too disconnected.
- You could borrow a book from our expanding book collection while you're there. We also have board games and a Carrom board for your enjoyment.
- There are two hotel properties within walking distance (approx 15min walk), where you can use their bar/game room facilities.
Since it is also our family holiday home, we request that you treat the house with the same level of respect as you would your own home, and be careful with its contents.
Guests are liable for the full replacement value of any damage caused to the property by them.
We have a No Pets Policy
Fantastic experience in hills. Breath taking view from the room, drizzling and making is more beautiful, Naushad and Beena (care taker) are an amazing cook and are super helpful. Make sure you ask for chicken in dinner ;).
And yes, you will find cookie everywhere, the moment you step out of the house. (cookie is a pet). There is a village near by that you should visit and if you are here over a weekday, feel free to visit govt. school to spend some time with kids. If you have time, you should go to IIAS (Indian Institute of Advance Studies) too.
You will find enough games and books in the house to keep you occupied.
Ok stop reading the reviews, just GO! Arti's place is just amazing. This is one of those places that are truly magical. The view is breathtaking, the food is delicious, and the rooms are warm and cozy. What more can you ask for? Do take the time to hike around the and explore what really is untouched beauty. You wont regret it!
This was just phenomenal!!
Location: Spectacular, with view of a valley with endless tree covered mountains. Can visit Chail or Kufri in less than 30 minutes and Simla in one hour if you want to get back to a charming city
House: Beautiful, three independent rooms with extra large windows (for the view and you can sit in them forever)
Service: Phenomenal, the caretaker Naushad is just high on enthusiasm infact his nickname is "go go". He does an excellent barbecue.
Food: Mouth-watering, cook Bina, wow such range of cooking pleasing my dad is not easy, and then our little kids who cant eat spicy.
The stay was amazing . This place is very beautiful . The view is breathtaking . All the rooms are very cosy and matching the standard of any star rated hotel . But the most amazing is food & hospitality . The care taking staff is very good . They look after us very well . The food was very tasty and very economical .
I would highly recommend this place. If you are really interested to enjoy the calm and wilderness of Himalayas , come and enjoy the stay .
Smile on their faces, yes to everything
This is one place, one must visit if you plan to go towards Shimla. The house is built on a beautiful elevation giving a superb view of the mountains in front of you, especially when you wake up in the morning after a good night's sleep. There is a great amount of creativity, innovation, heart and soul put into making this place and thanks to Raja and his family for making this happen. The local host Naushad ensures your experience is complete by taking care of you every minute. He also ensures you are fed well during the stay. Definitely a place to visit again
If visiting Shimla/Kufri this is one of the best locations to stay. The house is located away from the crowd and gives you a perfect opportunity to connect with yourself. Great location, amazing views and Raja is a very caring host. The cook and the caretaker made our stay very pleasant. Don't think twice to stay here if you are planning to.
About the Host, Raja
My name is Raja Sharma. My wife Arati and I shuttle between New Delhi and New Zealand, and try to inculcate the kiwi "all good mate" attitude in our lives here in India as well.
My kids are now all grown up and are both lawyers. Arati and I love traveling, something that took us to New Zealand, as well as this house in the hills.
I sincerely hope that you enjoy your stay at our home.