About this listing
This charming French Normandy cottage is a romantic retreat, private but close to downtown. Within walking & biking distance to bistros, movie theaters, restaurants, shops, grocery, famous Russian River Pub, bakery, bike trails, more!
• The cottage is a honeymoon hideaway or wedding guests' stay, a writer's retreat, or a comfortable home base for wine tasters, shoppers, bicyclists or even conference attendees.
• You're close to town but far enough away to avoid the hubbub of traffic and street noise. There's plenty of safe street parking and private gate access to the cottage and rear brick and ivy-walled courtyard. The cosy cottage is perfect for two.
• Check out our Pinterest page at (URL HIDDEN)
• You're welcome to sit at your own courtyard table with umbrella for breakfast or eat inside surrounded by antiques collected over the years. Or, sit under the wisteria overhang outside for snacks and wine!
Small fridge, dishes, and utensils are there for you. Do simple cooking with the microwave and toaster oven or enjoy meals at the hundreds of cafés, bistros, or restaurants in the area. When you're in Sonoma County Wine Country, you'll find the food just as fabulous as the wine!
Interaction with Guests
• We are full-time residents of the main house. You will see us coming and going, gardening, and doing chores all around the place. Of course we expect to meet you, but we know you are on a getaway holiday and may be on the go all the time.
• We're here if you need information, advice, or directions. There's about 60' between our home and the cottage to give you plenty of privacy.
• The Historic McDonald District invites your walking exploration of this and the adjacent streets filled with beautiful homes a century or more old. The trees are mature, the gardens are gorgeous, and the folks are friendly. Experience the history of the varying period architectural styles and imagine who may have resided in them a century ago.
• Find the McDonald Mansion or other homes where the movies "Shadow of a Doubt," "Scream," "All My Sons," "Pollyanna," and "Happy Land" were filmed.
• Go to our Pinterest page for lots more info: (URL HIDDEN)
• The wide streets invite bicycling--bring your own or rent at one of several nearby bicycle shops. You will find peace and beauty in the neighborhood during any season of the year. Bring a camera, too!
• City buses and taxis can take you here and there. Rental cars are available at the Charles Schulz Sonoma County Airport which is serviced by Horizon Air (Alaska)--about 15 minutes north. The Airporter bus travels back & forth from this regional airport to the Oakland and San Francisco airports. There are always bikes! This is biking country where you'll often see pelatons pedaling the back roads, including frequent Century Rides, the Grand Fondo, and the Tour de California!
• Here are some great spots you can walk to:
7 minute walk to Dierk's Midtown Café and Superburger
9 minute walk to Bruno's on 4th
4 minute walk to Pacific Market, Village Bakery, and Carmen's Burger Bar
20 minute walk to Luther Burbank Home & Gardens
11 minutes to bicycle to Prince Memorial Greenway trail system along Santa Rosa Creek
24 minutes to walk to the city center
• Jump in your car and within 10-15 minutes you can be at 10 different wineries east on Sonoma Hwy 12. Driving north or west will take you to hundreds of famous and fabulous wineries and tasting rooms.
Other Things to Note
• PLEASE NOTE: We are required by the City of Santa Rosa to collect a 9% "Transient Occupancy Tax" and a 3% "Tourism" tax from guests. It's now incorporated into the base room rate.
• A complimentary bottle of wonderful Sonoma County wine awaits your arrival.
• French roast ground coffee and Cuisinart coffeemaker are in the kitchen. In the fridge are also bottled waters and juices.
• You'll also find a picnic basket outfitted with plasticware, napkins, and paper plates if you decide to go to one of our many local parks or a winery for a picnic. (Many wineries have gourmet delis where you can buy bread, cheese and other goodies to go with the wine you've just purchased. Then head outside to their picnic tables!)
• Our guest binder is filled with information about Santa Rosa and the surrounding area--maps to wineries, info about galleries and museums, restaurants, bike rental shops, the zip line, the ocean and beaches, the Russian River and canoe rental locations, and just about anything you'd like to know about our beautiful county and beyond.
• His and Hers bathrobes are available in the antique wardrobe.
• No smoking inside or around the cottage. No pot, weed, period. No candles or open flames. Two battery-powered flickering candles are there for a more romantic atmosphere.
• We're not set up for pets.
• The cottage is not meant for families. But if you have one happy, young, quiet baby and a Pack 'n Play, we could discuss it.
• No partying or loud noises. This is an established neighborhood that expects quiet.