This charming French Normandy cottage is a romantic retreat, private but close to downtown. Within walking & biking distance to bistros, movie theaters, restaurants, shops, grocery, famous Russian River Pub, bakery, bike trails, more!
• The cottage is a honeymoon hideaway or wedding guests' stay, a writer's retreat, or a comfortable home base for wine tasters, shoppers, bicyclists or even conference attendees.
• You're close to town but far enough away to avoid the hubbub of traffic and street noise. There's plenty of safe street parking and private gate access to the cottage and rear brick and ivy-walled courtyard. The cosy cottage is perfect for two.
• Check out our Pinterest page at (website hidden)
• You're welcome to sit at your own courtyard table with umbrella for breakfast or eat inside surrounded by antiques collected over the years. Or, sit under the wisteria overhang outside for snacks and wine!
Small fridge, dishes, and utensils are there for you. Do simple cooking with the microwave and toaster oven or enjoy meals at the hundreds of cafés, bistros, or restaurants in the area. When you're in Sonoma County Wine Country, you'll find the food just as fabulous as the wine!
Interaction with Guests
• We are full-time residents of the main house. You will see us coming and going, gardening, and doing chores all around the place. Of course we expect to meet you, but we know you are on a getaway holiday and may be on the go all the time.
• We're here if you need information, advice, or directions. There's about 60' between our home and the cottage to give you plenty of privacy.
• The Historic McDonald District invites your walking exploration of this and the adjacent streets filled with beautiful homes a century or more old. The trees are mature, the gardens are gorgeous, and the folks are friendly. Experience the history of the varying period architectural styles and imagine who may have resided in them a century ago.
• Find the McDonald Mansion or other homes where the movies "Shadow of a Doubt," "Scream," "All My Sons," "Pollyanna," and "Happy Land" were filmed.
• Go to our Pinterest page for lots more info: (website hidden)
• The wide streets invite bicycling--bring your own or rent at one of several nearby bicycle shops. You will find peace and beauty in the neighborhood during any season of the year. Bring a camera, too!
• City buses and taxis can take you here and there. Rental cars are available at the Charles Schulz Sonoma County Airport which is serviced by Horizon Air (Alaska)--about 15 minutes north. The Airporter bus travels back & forth from this regional airport to the Oakland and San Francisco airports. There are always bikes! This is biking country where you'll often see pelatons pedaling the back roads, including frequent Century Rides, the Grand Fondo, and the Tour de California!
• Here are some great spots you can walk to:
7 minute walk to Dierk's Midtown Café and Superburger
9 minute walk to Bruno's on 4th
4 minute walk to Pacific Market, Village Bakery, and Carmen's Burger Bar
20 minute walk to Luther Burbank Home & Gardens
11 minutes to bicycle to Prince Memorial Greenway trail system along Santa Rosa Creek
24 minutes to walk to the city center
• Jump in your car and within 10-15 minutes you can be at 10 different wineries east on Sonoma Hwy 12. Driving north or west will take you to hundreds of famous and fabulous wineries and tasting rooms.
Other Things to Note
• A complimentary bottle of wonderful Sonoma County wine awaits your arrival.
• French roast ground coffee and Cuisinart coffeemaker are in the kitchen. In the fridge are also bottled waters and juices.
• You'll also find a picnic basket outfitted with plasticware, napkins, and paper plates if you decide to go to one of our many local parks or a winery for a picnic. (Many wineries have gourmet delis where you can buy bread, cheese and other goodies to go with the wine you've just purchased. Then head outside to their picnic tables!)
• Our guest binder is filled with information about Santa Rosa and the surrounding area--maps to wineries, info about galleries and museums, restaurants, bike rental shops, the zip line, the ocean and beaches, the Russian River and canoe rental locations, and just about anything you'd like to know about our beautiful county and beyond.
• His and Hers bathrobes are available in the antique wardrobe.
• No smoking inside cottage. No pot, weed, period. No candles or open flames.
• We're not set up for pets.
• The cottage is not meant for families. But if you have one happy, young, quiet baby and a Pack 'n Play, we could discuss it.
• No partying or loud noises. This is an established neighborhood that expects quiet.
Our expirience was absolutely wonderful! The cottage and surrounding gardens were gorgeous. Such a pleasure! Can't wait to return.
Great cottage and neighborhood. Absolutely loved both. Bud and Sandy were both very friendly and welcoming and let us have our privacy as well. We really enjoyed meeting them, staying in the cottage and strolling through the neighborhood looking at the architecture. We were both looming for some R&R and found it at a great place. Wish we could've stayed longer. Thank you both!
Had an incredible time! My husband and I came back so relaxed after our getaway, much in part from our wonderful stay at Bud and Sandy's cottage. Hope to stay again soon!
Sandy was the perfect host and made sure we had directions to get us to the cottage without any problems. On arrival, Sandy was kind enough to give us a quick tour of the cottage, answer any questions we had and give us some tips for things to do in Santa Rosa, she really is a 10/10 host! The cottage was great, and the garden setting, amazing. Bud and Sandy really live in a magic part of Santa Rosa and we were easily able to walk down to breakfast through some beautiful, historic streets which was a real pleasure.
Thanks Bud and Sandy - we would love to stay for longer one day!
My friend and I had a lovely stay with Bud and Sandy. The cottage was adorable and had everything we needed. Bud and Sandy met us as we arrived, showed us around the cottage, offered us wonderful dinner recommendations and directions. There were also a few fresh baked treats and a bottle of wine awaiting us. We would definitely stay here again.
I can't say enough good things about our experience at the cottage. Sandy was prompt with communication from the start and they even left the light on for us since we were planning to arrive after dark. She baked walnut cranberry bread and the mini-fridge was stocked with juice, water, coffee, and carrot cake. The cottage had everything we needed, including a perfect sunny morning to enjoy with our coffee on the brick patio amidst the flowers. We're hoping for another reason to stay in Santa Rosa soon!
We had a fabulous one-night with Bud and Sandy. The cottage and surrounding garden areas are just gorgeous.
I spent the morning drinking tea and basking in the sunlight in the great bedroom.
We definitely hope to be back!
Books, movies, writing, travel, gardening, teaching American history, good food, good friends and family. Can you guess who does what? Carpe diem is our motto!