Secluded geodesic dome house in Joshua Tree.
The Dome in the Desert was included in Refinery29's, "23 Best Airbnb's that have us trippin'".
We welcome you to the Dome in the Desert! We created this space as a personal escape from our busy city lives and a place to re-energize in solace under the desert sky. Please explore our pictures and the description below, but feel free to contact us with additional comments and questions.
The Dome in the Desert rests on multiple acres and is secluded from neighbors so you can enjoy sprawling desert mountain views and the star-filled night sky in privacy. Yet, it is conveniently located only a few miles from the wonderful town center of Joshua Tree including restaurants and entertainment, and the Joshua Tree National Park visitors center on Park Blvd.
On the interior, the Dome features modern-bohemian decor including many items we personally designed and hand crafted. As you explore the Dome, you will find antique books and games along with natural wood and stone elements to stimulate your mind and spirit. If staying in is what you need, the Dome offers a full kitchen with refrigerator/freezer, oven/stove, microwave, and most importantly, an assortment of coffee preparation devices including a French Press, Moka Pot, and drip coffee maker. The Dome features a memory foam King Size bed in the master bedroom as well as a daybed in the sun room that turns into a King Size bed if necessary.
During cold nights, the Dome is heated with a natural wood burning stove (bring your firewood) and a few carefully placed space heaters. On warm nights, the Dome has two AC units located in the living room and main bedroom. You will not find a television on the premises, but we do offer Wi-Fi free of charge just in case you want to stream a movie, video-chat with family and friends, or post that perfect Instagram photo.
Whether you stay with us or at one of the other amazing spaces on Airbnb, we hope you experience the near-magical nature of the desert and all the sensations that come with this wonderful place we call Joshua Tree.
We are excited to announce that local juicing guru, Angela of Juice in the Desert will now be offering her juicing services to all guests who stay at the Dome in the Desert. Menus and pricing for this service will be emailed to all guests upon booking.
Please tell us a little bit about yourself and your plans for your stay in Joshua Tree when sending a reservation request. Thanks!
Most importantly, enjoy the space! But, please be respectful as this place is very special to us. We have included many personal items for your enjoyment including rare and antique items which we have collected over the years and would be very difficult to replace.
- We ask all our guests to refrain from smoking in or on the property
- Please no pets - your fury friends will have to find other arrangements
- Please do not sublet the property in any way
- We ask that you do not bring additional/unauthorized guests to the house unless receiving prior approval (This includes having a party or hosting an event)
- By renting our property, you agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Owner and Owner’s Representative from all claims, disputes, litigation, judgments, cost and attorney fees resulting from loss, damage or injury to Occupant, Occupant’s guests or licensees or their personal property.
While on the property, please observe these rules:
- The house is professionally cleaned prior to each guest’s arrival. But, in case you didn't notice, we don't charge a cleaning fee. When you leave, do your best to leave the property in the same condition as when you arrived (minus normal usage of course).
- Please keep property entry gate closed at all times
- Please park vehicle in front of house (close to front-door). Do not drive vehicle around side or rear of the property because the weight of your vehicle could damage or collapse plumbing water lines and septic tank!
- The property uses a Septic System for waste disposal. Please do not discard anything in the sinks or toilet other than the provided, septic safe, toilet paper because it will clog (which means you will not be able to use the toilet, shower, and sink)
- Please refrain from loud noises and anything else you think might disturb and annoy the neighbors (drumming, jack hammering, shooting guns, loud music, howling at the moon and stars, fireworks spectacular, etc.). The desert air is very thin and you will be amazed at how far these sounds travel.
- Please do not leave the wood burning stove unattended (for obvious reasons of course)
- No outdoor fires until a designated fire pit is established – The fire department is very strict about fires (which we experienced first-hand)
- Please exercise extreme caution when operating the telescope
- Please operate and safeguard the premises including, landscaping, furniture, furnishings, appliances and all mechanical, electrical and plumbing fixtures, and keep them clean and sanitary
Your safety is EXTREMELY important so please follow these rules when accessing the loft:
- Do not enter the loft if you feel unsafe in any way. Remember, you are using the loft at your own risk!
- No shoes allowed in loft area
- Four people maximum in loft at any time
- The loft ladder does not have a hand rail - Please exercise extreme caution when climbing up and down the ladder. It is recommended that you climb the ladder with a spotter (someone to assist you) either above or below to guarantee safe passage
- The loft is equipped with a decorative rope railing - DO NOT lean against or pull on the rope! We recommend that you keep a safe distance of at least 18” from the railing to avoid the possibility of falling off the loft edge
- Please refrain from standing or jumping in the loft
- No minors are permitted on the ladder or in the loft without strict adult supervision!
- Do not access the loft if intoxicated in any way!
- Use general common sense when using the loft (don’t jump or throw things over the edge, etc.)
Before you leave:
- Place used towels in designated receptacle located in bathroom
- Turn off all lights and electrical devices
- Lock all doors
- Close property entry gate
Wow. This was the highlight of our trip to Cali... The dome is simply a wonderful, magical place, and our hosts were equally amazing to deal with. Kathrin very kindly helped arrange for us to check in a tad early to accommodate our schedule and some unforeseen rain... Everything is as it looks in the pics... only better. The surrounding area, the small touches in the interior design.... All amazing. We got to use the telescope and got some great views of the moon... The fireplace was easy to use and provided some nice warmth on cool evenings.... Joshua Tree National Park is close by and unimagineably beautiful. In short -- this is a uniquely beautiful experience. We felt a deep connection to the place in a short time, and strong tinge of melacholy upon having to leave; it's as if the place became our home in only three days. We would (and hopefully will) come back.
Love the dome! Exceptional vibes. Thumbs up to Kathrin and Brian for creating this wonderful experience.
Wonderful and peaceful place very close to the park entrance. Quiet and unique, you'll definitely remember your stay.
This unique one-of-a-kind geodesic dome home provided a colorful, cozy, and fun place to experience Joshua Tree! Rare special and eclectic interior furnishings, artifacts, games and decor. The upstairs loft space with skylights was a personal favorite place to spend time in..
Absolutely magical and beautiful! This is the most unique place my fiancée and I have ever stayed in and we loved it! If you're looking for peace and quiet in a modern, fun and different place, this is it! It has everything you need and the antique décor was so beautiful!
This was my first time using Airbnb and the experience couldn't have been better! Communication with Kathrin was wonderful throughout the entire process, and the Dome was pure magic. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to stay here, my only wish is that I will be able to enjoy it for longer next time.
We had an absolutely wonderful time in this magical dome in the desert. We frequent Joshua Tree very often and this was certainly one of the most unique and enjoyable stays we've had. Every single detail in the house is thought through and approached with a designer's eye. It's so comfortable and cozy -- and the hosts were wonderful to communicate with. If you get the chance -- STAY HERE!