About this listing
Secluded geodesic dome house in Joshua Tree.
If the Dome in the Desert is unavailable, please check out our other Joshua Tree Airbnb listing, "Cabin Cabin Cabin in Joshua Tree".
We welcome you to the Dome in the Desert! We created this space as a personal escape from our busy city lives and a place to re-energize in solace under the desert sky. Please explore our pictures and the description below, but feel free to contact us with additional comments and questions.
The Dome in the Desert rests on multiple acres and is secluded from neighbors so you can enjoy sprawling desert mountain views and the star-filled night sky in privacy. Yet, it is conveniently located only a few miles from the wonderful town center of Joshua Tree including restaurants and entertainment, and the Joshua Tree National Park visitors center on Park Blvd.
On the interior, the Dome features modern-bohemian decor including many items we personally designed and hand crafted. As you explore the Dome, you will find antique books and games along with natural wood and stone elements to stimulate your mind and spirit. If staying in is what you need, the Dome offers a full kitchen with refrigerator/freezer, oven/stove, microwave, and most importantly, an assortment of coffee preparation devices including a French Press, Moka Pot, and drip coffee maker. The Dome features a memory foam King Size bed in the master bedroom as well as a daybed in the sun room that turns into a King Size bed if necessary.
During cold nights, the Dome is heated with a natural wood burning stove (bring your firewood) and a few carefully placed space heaters. On warm nights, the Dome has two AC units located in the living room and main bedroom. You will not find a television on the premises, but we do offer Wi-Fi free of charge just in case you want to stream a movie, video-chat with family and friends, or post that perfect Instagram photo.
Whether you stay with us or at one of the other amazing spaces on Airbnb, we hope you experience the near-magical nature of the desert and all the sensations that come with this wonderful place we call Joshua Tree.
We are excited to announce that local juicing guru, Angela of Juice in the Desert will now be offering her juicing services to all guests who stay at the Dome in the Desert. Menus and pricing for this service will be emailed to all guests upon booking.
- Refinery29, 23 Best Airbnb's that have us trippin
- Esquire Magazine, China, January 2015
- The New Bohemians: Cool and Collected Homes, by Justina Blakeney
- RayLi Magazine, November 2014
- Apartment Therapy, Kathin and Brian's Dome in the Desert
- Dot and Bo, Dome in the Desert: Escape to Joshua Tree and Design Collection
- Free People, Dome Sweet Home
- Moon to Moon Blog, Dome in the Desert
- The Bohemian Collective, Kathin and Brian's Dome in the Desert
Most importantly, enjoy the space! But, please be respectful as this place is very special to us. We have included many personal items for your enjoyment including rare and antique items which we have collected over the years and would be very difficult to replace.
- No professional photoshoots without prior approval.
- We ask all our guests to refrain from smoking in or on the property
- Please no pets - your fury friends will have to find other arrangements
- Please do not sublet the property in any way
- We ask that you do not bring additional/unauthorized guests to the house unless receiving prior approval (This includes having a party or hosting an event)
- By renting our property, you agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Owner and Owner’s Representative from all claims, disputes, litigation, judgments, cost and attorney fees resulting from loss, damage or injury to Occupant, Occupant’s guests or licensees or their personal property.
While on the property, please observe these rules:
- The house is professionally cleaned prior to each guest’s arrival. But, in case you didn't notice, we don't charge a cleaning fee. When you leave, do your best to leave the property in the same condition as when you arrived (minus normal usage of course).
- Please keep property entry gate closed at all times
- Please park vehicle in front of house (close to front-door). Do not drive vehicle around side or rear of the property because the weight of your vehicle could damage or collapse plumbing water lines and septic tank!
- The property uses a Septic System for waste disposal. Please do not discard anything in the sinks or toilet other than the provided, septic safe, toilet paper because it will clog (which means you will not be able to use the toilet, shower, and sink)
- Please refrain from loud noises and anything else you think might disturb and annoy the neighbors (drumming, jack hammering, shooting guns, loud music, howling at the moon and stars, fireworks spectacular, etc.). The desert air is very thin and you will be amazed at how far these sounds travel.
- Please do not leave the wood burning stove unattended (for obvious reasons of course)
- No outdoor fires until a designated fire pit is established. The fire department is very strict about fires (which we experienced first-hand)
- Please exercise extreme caution when operating the telescope
- Please operate and safeguard the premises including, landscaping, furniture, furnishings, appliances and all mechanical, electrical and plumbing fixtures, and keep them clean and sanitary
- Please do not hang anything off of our Joshua Tree (such as exercise equipment etc.) Joshua Trees are very fragile and might collapse.
Your safety is EXTREMELY important so please follow these rules when accessing the loft:
- Do not enter the loft if you feel unsafe in any way. Remember, you are using the loft at your own risk!
- No shoes allowed in loft area
- Four people maximum in loft at any time
- The loft ladder does not have a hand rail - Please exercise extreme caution when climbing up and down the ladder. It is recommended that you climb the ladder with a spotter (someone to assist you) either above or below to guarantee safe passage
- The loft is equipped with a decorative rope railing - DO NOT lean against or pull on the rope! We recommend that you keep a safe distance of at least 18” from the railing to avoid the possibility of falling off the loft edge
- Please refrain from standing or jumping in the loft
- No minors are permitted on the ladder or in the loft without strict adult supervision!
- Do not access the loft if intoxicated in any way!
- Use general common sense when using the loft (don’t jump or throw things over the edge, etc.)
Before you leave:
- Place used towels in designated receptacle located in bathroom
- Turn off all lights and electrical devices
- Lock all doors
- Close property entry gate
Kathrin and Brian have a lovely dome in the desert. They provided information regarding their home and points of interest in the desert.
They were very responsive and (email hidden)ey were very welcoming.
The dome in the desert was an amazing experience. Check in and check out was easy, Kathrin and Brian were available within minutes when needed. We absolutely loved this place and can't wait to revisit!
What a wonderful experience. The dome lives up to the photos and has a perfect secluded get away feel even though it is only 10 minutes from town. The hosts were extremely communicative. A+++. THANK YOU!
Kathrin and Brian were invisible to us yet very easy and we found ourselves in a clean and super awesome spot. The dome is a wonderful habitat and close to joshua so we went hiking and had a blast. At nighttime stargazing was crazy beautiful and the sunset and sunrise — worth to get up for! love the place! thanks so much for having and hosting us!
Lasse & Carolin
The dome is even dreamier in person! As artists, it was such a perfect place to relax and gather inspiration. We intended to spend a lot more time exploring the desert than we did after falling in love with this place! There's nothing else immediately by it, so it provides an amazing feeling of privacy (although be prepared for a drive down a bit of a bumpy dirt road). From the gorgeous decor to the amazing views, it's the loveliest place to stay if you're looking to reflect or create. Definitely hope to return!
Gosh what a dreamy experience! My brothers and I spent 4 nights here, and it was the perfect home base to explore Joshua Tree. The home perfectly complements the serene and creativity-inspiring landscape. Next time I visit, I will probably schedule my trip around the dome's availability.
(Not to mention Kathrin + Brian were super communicative and kind.)
This host has 3 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews