About this listing
Built in 1872, the deRosset House is named for the family who owned it for the first 120 years. The house is on the campus of the University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee. It has been renovated over the past eighteen years. We offer comfortable private rooms by the night or whole house rentals for large groups. We pride ourselves on comfort, in fact, one friend calls this "the napping house". Five private rooms share two full baths on the second floor of this informal home. There are two additional half baths on the first floor.
The 4200 sqft. home has a comfortable living room, separate dining room and library, an eat-in kitchen with large island, a comfy coffee nook, study, 5 bedrooms, and 4 bathrooms. The first floor is handicapped accessible with wide doorways and an accessible powder room. The house easily accommodates a large family or a gathering of friends while maintaining privacy and comfort. While the house is vintage, the amenities are not! We offer satellite television and wireless internet along with land line phone service for those whose cell phones may not function in the mountains,
The deRosset House is .4 miles from All Saints' Chapel, one block from the School of Theology campus, one mile from the Memorial Cross, an easy stroll to the village of Sewanee, and the wonderful local restaurants, galleries, post office and bank. We are walking distance to everything Sewanee!
The deRosset House is one of Sewanee's original homes built soon after the Civil War. It is the largest "whole house rental" on the Domain.
We are happy to make room in the refrigerator for you. Should you need access to laundry, just ask. WIFI throughout the house. Television in living room only.
Interaction with Guests
We love our guests and hearing about what brings them to Sewanee. We do try not to be pests!
We know most of our neighbors, our street is one of the main walking routes in this beautiful small town, so we see those neighbors! We are one mile from the Memorial Cross and view of the valley, 4-5 blocks from the University Chapel, and easy walk to the Village.
No public transit, but shuttle service to and from local airports.
No smoking, Pets are welcome, parties or large gatherings must be discussed with owner.
Please leave the house clean, garbage bagged and in outside containers, dishes loaded in the dishwasher, beds made and personal items removed. We will do all possible to return items to you should you identify something left behind, but can not be responsible for items left. As Robert Daniel, long-term Sewanee resident said, “Items left unclaimed will be sold to defray the cost of your visit.”
3. CHECK-IN/CHECK-OUT: Let us know your expected arrival date and time. We are flexible and know that plans change; people get stuck in airports and on Interstates and occasionally get confused about the time zone changes (Sewanee is in Central Time). Double check the stove, iron or other electrical items you used to be sure they are OFF.
4. CANCELLATIONS: For reservations cancelled less than 30 days prior to scheduled arrival, no refund will be made if the home is not rented for the reserved period. If the home is re-rented, all monies will be refunded. No refunds will be made for early departures or if number in party decreases.
5. TELEPHONES: Telephones are furnished for your convenience. All local and domestic long distance calls are no charge. International calls must be charged to your credit/charge card.
6. LINENS/TOWELS/DISHES/Furnishings/Plants: Linens, towels, dishes and furnishings are provided as part of this agreement. They are to be left in the house at the close of your stay. Please return furnishings to their original location in the house or porch. Missing or damaged items will be charged to your damage deposit at replacement cost.
7. TERMS OF OCCUPANCY: NO SMOKING in the house. There are ashtrays available for outside smoking only. As the sign says, “If you are smoking in this house, you had better be on fire!”
8) GARBAGE: Bag and take out the garbage. There are covered garbage cans at the back deck of the house. Garbage is to be bagged in black trash bags and secured in the cans.
The legal language:
The rented property is a private residence and you agree to indemnify the owner for any damage or loss to the property or its contents that occur during your stay. Violation of these terms will result in the forfeiture of all monies and termination of occupancy. We reserve the right to inspect the property during your stay. Further, you agree to abide by the rules and regulations of the community and refrain from any activity that interferes with the quiet enjoyment of its residents.
What it means for you:
If you anticipate having large dinners, parties, outside gatherings, etc. you MUST let us know your plans. We can help be sure all the University regulations and procedures are followed. Some of those require advance notice. Please do not let us find out from our neighbors about how large or wild a party you had. Remember: this is the South and that is just tacky! If you have a party without asking us, we will keep the damage deposit.
Thanks again for coming to Sewanee. Enjoy your stay. Call us if you need anything or have questions: Susan Holmes, C’76: (phone number hidden) cell