Mitch - windsurfer, golfer and gramps; Jan - nanna, walker, kayaker and expert swimmer. With the help of our cottage neighbour Sean Marleau, who lives in Winnipeg, we rent out our LAKEFRONT cottage in the Whiteshell Provincial Park, on Jessica Lake. It's a great spot for:
- fishing (walleye, northern, perch)
- windsurfing - accessible for south (onshore), west and east winds -- rig your sails on our grassy lawn and leave them there in the shade for your stay; launch from our sandy beach. EPIC conditions when two-day Southers settle in on a low barometer. Live slow - sail fast!
- stand-up paddling, kayaking (both available for your use)
- swimming, sailing, boating, watersports >> an excellent government public boat launch is just around the corner in the next bay, right off the highway. Also a fish-cleaning station and dock.
- canoeing is great on the lake and many multi-day trips launch from Jessica. Journey via the Whiteshell river which feeds Jessica Lake and/or via portage to remote lakes nearby. We have an older canoe but bring your own if you are serious.
- sitting on the dock and watching the dragonflys and swallows
- an elevated deck on the cottage provides access to sunshine all day (the dock is shaded @ about 4 pm in the summer)
- nighttime bonfire on the beach; watch fire-flies, star-gaze and watch the satellites go by on clear nights
- relaxing in the screened Mangrove (a converted boathouse) to play cards or watch distant thunderheads or the moonrise over Jessica
- sunrise yoga on the dock - let me just say that again - sunrise yoga on the dock :-)
Championship 18-hole golf is available at Pinawa and Granite Hills to the north, Kenora to the east and Falcon Beach to the south - all within an hour's scenic drive.
Hiking trails, cross-country ski trails and snowmobile trails are all within a half mile or less. Bicylists have the winding, hilly 2-lane highway for touring or mountain bike on the trails.
Stores, restaurants, beer vendor/liquor sales, marinas, gas stations, movie rentals all within 5-15 miles on paved 2-lane highway.
The lake is only really busy on long weekends in summer - otherwise it is a pretty serene spot. There are neighbours, so even in the winter, you will not be totally isolated.
Our insulated, well-shaded cottage offers air conditioning, a wonderful view of the lake and all the comforts of home, plus the comforting rushing sound of poplar leaves at night, a unique sound that you will not soon forget.
We live in Chilliwack, BC and as mentioned above, we have Sean look after the cottage.
We like to travel and SWAPS would be really COOL. Some places we hope to visit: Kintyre region - Scotland; Ireland; Palm Springs; Scottsdale; Gearhart, WA; Tacoma, WA; St. George, Utah; Caye Caulker, Belize; Florence, OR; Bandon Dunes, OR.
Mitch has completed online and offline ID verification.