Interior designer/ architect likes flea markets, brunch, swimming, hiking, and dinner with friends. House proud & tidy, but also laid back.
Matthew has completed online and offline ID verification.
Learn more »
Metthew is a great host. Everything was just great.
This was by far the worst stay we've ever had on Airbnb. It was an absolutely dreadful and horrifying experience.
1) The bedroom floor was covered in cobwebs, which must have been the by-product of months of no dusting. There was no closet space for our clothes. When we asked the host, he belatedly made room for a few clothes above the cat litter box!
2) The bathroom was incredibly filthy, with a pungent musky smell
emanating from the shower. The sink was constantly covered with a moldy red/yellow substance.
3) On multiple occasions, the host would not clean up after shaving, with his hair being scattered all over the sink and on top of our toothbrushes! He did not even apologize once! The hygiene in the bathroom has literally left us sick.
4) Even though the host had displayed pictures of the living room on the listing,
we were not given access to it.
5) The kitchen is not well equipped, and is mostly bereft of cooking utensils. There was 1 pot (likely more than a decade old), and no saucepan. Furthermore, the kitchen stove would not work most of the time
Often, the sink was piled high with filthy dishes. When we confronted the host, he got defensive and accused us of doing the same! Also, when we asked him to clean the bathroom, he falsely accused of slamming doors. At every instance, the host was belligerent when approached.
4) The host barely left any space for our food items in the fridge (which seemed like it was from early 90s).
5) The front door lock remained broken throughout our stay. It took us several minutes to literally open the door each time we wanted to leave the property. This was the same case with the outside door.
6) The WiFi signal was terrible. We often had no internet access during the day.
7) To make it worse, on check out, the host’s father barged into our room and announced we had to leave immediately even though we had arranged with the host to leave at 3pm. Overall, this was the most horrible experience once could ever imagine.
Response from Matthew:
This was a bitter and condescending guest. His review is full of lies and gross exaggerations. He damaged my property in multiple ways. I have nearly 3 years of positive reviews that tell the real tale.
Not only were the digs delux, it had amazing views and was VERY QUIET! Great decor, great host and great cat. Thank you, Matthew!
I stayed at Matthew's place for a month, but rarely saw Matthew as our schedules rarely coincided. The apartment was great, the bed was comfortable, but if you are using public transportation like I was, be aware that you have to walk up and down a pretty steep hill from the Castro Street Station. It's a great neighborhood as well. There is a park across the street and just a short walk over to Upper Haight or down to the Castro.
My friend and I spent three great days at Matthew's place in San Francisco. His place is great and he was very helpful.
Matthew was a fantastic host and the apartment was really nice. He was extremely accommodating and made sure my stay was perfect. It is centrally located (close to the Castro, Dolores Park, the Mission, great bars/restaurants, Buena Vista Park, NoPa), but it still feels like you're in a different part of the city. The views were breathtaking. The apartment itself is very beautifully decorated - you really won't want to leave!
Just moved to SF and stayed with Matthew 5 wks total while looking for a longer term place... Was a great first stop in SF, quiet neighborhood right next to beautiful park with great view of the city, walking distance to Castro and Haight. Matthew was a great host - super friendly and laid back, with lots of info about the city and a really cute kitty named Ghia. Will miss them!
Matthew's flat is a nice place to visit San Fransisco, very well located in a very cool place.
Matthew is a world class interior designer and his house shows it. I stayed for 6 weeks and deeply enjoyed the experience. A quiet corner in the city.
Matthew's great. The cat is great.
Matt was an excellent, trustworthy and hospitable host - very laid back and chilled but willing to help if there is anything you need! The apartment was very comfortable, had an beautiful unique interior, and was always very warm! (Great after busy rainy days!). The Castro MUNI Metro station is approximately a 6 - 8 minute walk from the apartment (via a shortcut by Randall Museum) which can have you downtown in 10 - 15 minutes. Nice location for being close to Haight street, The Castro, and The Mission is not too far away either! (Transfer at Civic Center on BART). I would gladly recommend Matt to colleagues or friends, and would love to stay again in the future.
Thank you Matthew. Flawless. Communicative, peaceful, clean, and respectful of the space. A perfect experience and our highest recommendation to Airbnb hosts.
Stylish and comfortable apartment in a prime location. I never wanted to leave! Thank you Matthew for providing such brilliant accommodations.
Matthew is a great host whose apt anyone would want to stay in. The Apt is well located to neighborhoods such as th Castro, the Haight, The mission is not far. Public transport is also nearby yet there is a lovely feeling of being tucked away in a hillside wooded setting with lovely views to the Eureka Valley.
Matthew will be a good source for local restaurants and hot spots for a drink.