Hey, I've been living in Costa Rica since 2010. I love to travel and meet people and share in new experiences along the way. Life is short so I am trying to enjoy it one day at a time.
David is a nice guy and I think he believes what he is saying but I would not recommend this place if you are traveling with any kind of purpose. There is no WiFi in the room I stayed in, nor access to a kitchen, cups, silverware or the like.
This room (my room I think there are a few) is just a room with a bathroom, by the way the sink doesn't work. I did see some monkey's and an iguana, but then again you see those everywhere in Costa Rica so that shouldn't be a surprise.
I needed WiFi to do work on this trip, and well as water to survive - so after the first day and a long night dreaming of water in the 90 degree heat I early the next morning.
I also knocked on David's door a few times for water, and to drop off the key. He claimed he was home every time I did so via AirBNB messenger, my question is then, "why didn't you get the door?" - probably sleeping...
There are far better options for this price that have WiFi and water. However, if you are hippie with no work to do, and just want to live the Pura Vida free from water - this could be the place for you.
It was regretful to choose this airbnb. We used lower floor it has one double bad and one single air mattress. We were 2girls and 2 guys, only lower floor is not enough to stay 4 people.
1. Too many bugs... I couldn't sleep because of ants, bees. One of our friend got a bee sting. You can't keep your food on a table because next day, all ants are gonna come to your table.
2. Washer is broken. Manuel Antonio is around beach !! We wash our clothes by our hands. And one of air-conditioner was broken. we used only a small one for all the floor.
3. Too far from city center. It takes only 10~15min to city center but it was tooooo HOT to walk. and at night, there is no lights on the way.
because we doesn't have a phone, it was really hard to take a taxi from there.
4. Little bit hard communication with David. He is really cool guy. but when we check in, he doesn't answer so we had to wait for him for 40 min. When we check out, we asked him to call taxi for us , but taxi didn't come to house so we walked out all the way with our huge luggage in the morning.
Not recommended. around beach, there's better hotels and hostels. If you stay around beach you don't need to pay for taxi to get to beaches and national park.
David is a great host. He cares about you, to one hundred percent, that you feel comfortable not only in his house, he is also effort that you feel good in Manuel Antonio.
David's house is a dream. The location, pool, cleanliness, service, everything is perfect.
Unfortunately, the room was only available for one night, it had been longer. However, I will definitely come back and I recommend it to everyone, who goes to Manuel Antonio. It could not be better.
David is an absolutely awesome guy, a great host, and a fountain of knowledge about his adopted country.
The accommodations are exactly as they appear to be, and clean and comfortable. If, or should I say when, I go back I will stay there again.
Really nice place to stay! Rooms are clean and spacious, host very friendly and flexible.
I highly recommend it to all fellow travellers.
David is a great guy with a great place. There's tons of space and having a kitchen was a definite plus. When we first checked in David met us(even though we were late), gave us some pointers on the area and recommended some local eats and bars. We even ran into him later that night! Cool guy.
Before booking I didn't realize that the downstairs unit didn't really have enough sleep space for 4 guests, but we made it work. Also, the house is a nice hike from the main road. We didn't have any problems with taxis taking us up the hill. In fact, we could coordinate with the cab driver to pick us up later for the evening. It would have been nice to have a home phone, just for security since the house is a bit secluded. We didn't have issues with bugs until the last night or two. Perhaps we didn't have the doors closed properly or maybe this is just a Costa Rica thing. Also a broom would have been great so we could clean up after a day at the beach. I hated leaving the place with sand everywhere.
My night at Casa Sunrise was a complete mess. David is a nice enough guy, and the property itself is as beautiful as the pictures proport, but none of the amenities were functioning when I arrived.
At the end of the day, I cut my 2 night visit to one night and ended up getting a full refund PLUS a $50 gift certificate from airbnb as consolation for my terrifyingly bad night.
-The internet was completely broken, David resorted to offering us the code for his neighbor's WiFi, which sometimes worked from ONLY the patio.
- The oven and stove were non-functioning, which is something I only learned after buying uncooked meat which would eventually have to be thrown out. I suspect that David knew all along about the oven being broken, as when we told him about our plans to cook, he suggested "No! Don't make her cook for you! You should make him take you out for dinner!" After we requested the refund, he informed us that the oven did work, but that we didn't set up his gas lines correctly. I've never heard of a hotel asking their guests to manage gas lines, but I would suggest to David that he handle this before he has any more guests.
- The air conditioning was broken, leading to a night of inescapable sweltering jungle heat.
- There was a hole in the patio screen door, so when we opened the back sliding door to get some refuge from the relentless, un-air conditioned heat, we unexpectedly allowed entrance to a jungle beast-insect the likes of which I have never seen, nor would like to see again. It was a horrible, vicious battle, with many causalities (including my pride) but this footling beast eventually succumbed to battle wounds that I inflicted with a broom, my shoe, and various pillows (I wouldn't touch the pillows) that I bombarded him with for nearly an hour. He looked like this (website hidden)(email hidden)g except bigger and meaner and more horrible. Oh god, the horror...
- There was a vicious dog at the house being kept downstairs that barked ferociously at me as I came and went. He also kept me up all night with his incessant barking.
- The washing machine was broken.
- When we checked out after our first night, David asked us to meet up with him before we left, and agreed to meet us at 10am. At 10:30am we left the keys on the table and went on with our life. At 1pm, he finally messaged me about the keys, telling us not to leave things unlocked.
- When attempting to secure a refund from David, he went completely AWOL, wouldn't respond to my emails or messages. This only added to the stress of this nightmare at Case Sunrise.
Don't take the risk of staying here. It was truly a horrific experience. It's not fun to leave mean reviews, but I don't want you making the mistake of staying here.
Response from David:
WOW, please read other reviews for a more realistic account. Only thing that is accurate is AC was down and CR has incredible insects, birds, flowers and wildlife, but we do prefer you do not kill it.
David's place was beautiful, clean, had a stunning view and private. Would go back in a heart beat. He was a fantastic host!!
Realllly enjoyed our stay! David was cool too.
Wonderful view and location. We had no problem walking to the bus from the house. There are two units, the upstairs is bigger and David kindly upgraded us for no extra cost to the upstairs. The kitchen supplies (pots and pans, utensils, etc) were few, however if you're going to eat out most of the time it won't matter to you. The aircon stopped working while we were there and there were some other minor maintenance issues. A large space though and the best view for the money.
David was a really nice guy who left the house clean and tidy. I would recommend him to anyone who has a place to rent. Very mellow low maintenance guy who had a good attitude.