Visit create.airbnb.com »
Thanks for taking the time to report this user.
Your participation helps keep Airbnb a safe and trusted
community, and it doesn't go unnoticed!
I am a carpenter/painter, enjoy working outdoors. My Wife is an artist and massage therapist. We both love animals.
Eric has completed online and offline ID verification.
Learn more »
We had a magical three days in the Big Island and the Lava Rock Hale was perfect for our island adventuring. The photos don't do it justice as to how cute it is and the night sky was something else. Eric and Diane are lovely people, Diane is the sweetest person you could ever hope to meet and was always there to give recommendations and directions to various activities on the island. She even gave us good tips for our next leg. Mahalo for the hospitality Eric and Diane!
Definitely one of the highlights of our trip. The place is so romantic ! We felt like in the middle of the jungle and that was a good way to cut from work for good. The place is clean, and Eric was extremely sweet. We absolutely loved it ! Thank you Eric !
Hi Eric and Dianne,
I totally enjoyed my stay in your Lava Rock Hale.Too bad my partner could not be along. Surrounded by nothing but nature, it truly is paradise. If only there was not the small matter of the lava flow. I have to keep thinking of you and hope that Pele has mercy with you. I much enjoyed my conversations with Dianne.
All the best, Bernie
What an incredible place to stay! You could tell that our hosts put tons of love and care into making this house feel like a home. Every detail was thought out. The house was comfortable and so was the bed. Diane was warm and welcoming without being invasive. The dogs and horses were a welcome addition. We really felt like we were staying at a friends house instead of a hotel. Mahalo!!!
Lava Rock Hale was a wonderful stay that started with welcoming hugs from Diane. The accommodations are vey unique in all the right ways. Beautiful both inside and out, the design and craftsmanship of the Lava Rock Hale met all our needs. The bed is very comfortable with a small TV and DVDs to relax to in the evening. Details of the tile work and kitchen table add a sense of class not found in a typical rustic accommodations. There is an outdoor shower with plenty of hot water and a small walk to a lovely outdoor bathroom. Two horses and two dogs live on the property as well as the owners. Eric was attentive to all our needs making sure we had what we needed.
The area is fun to explore, my favorite being snorkeling in the tide pools.
Lava Rock Hale is a very special place. We really loved it and hope to return.
We absolutely love this place. If we are ever back on the big island, this is where we are staying, no matter what side we need to be on. Its worth the drive. A few things to keep in mind, you will need a car to get around. It's a cozy, beautiful place, but you need to love nature to stay here. If you stay here, please take care of it well. Eric and Diane, thank you so much for opening up your doors to us.
Sehr schöne Unterkunft mit viel Charme und liebevoll eingerichtet.
Diane und Eric sind sehr freundlich und hilfsbereit.
Wow... What a unique and inspiring little place Diane and Eric have created here. We really had a terrific time. The hale sits just down the hill from the host's house, but it felt very private. They greeted us when we arrived and showed us how to use the lights, fridge, shower, and fan (most everything is solar-powered), but then left us to ourselves for the rest of our stay. The property is quiet, clean, and peaceful -- like camping in a really nice cabin. We would easily choose to stay here again sometime.
Some things you should probably know before booking:
- this place is tricky to find on your first attempt (definitely arrive before dark). The host's directions are clear and correct, though. Make sure to have them handy when approaching. Don't rely solely on your GPS and/or phone.
- there are many geckos in the hale to keep you company. We enjoyed this (and I believe it's good luck), but some people might be creeped out. They never approached or bothered us.
- there is no WiFi, but I had surprisingly robust cell service on this part of the island (Sprint). Who needs it anyway? You came here to get away. There's also a small TV/DVD, but we didn't use it.
- You have to walk about 50 feet, across the yard to the bathroom. It's clean and very private. I didn't mind it, but my wife wasn't crazy about it.
- We enjoyed the outdoor shower, but some may find it a little too exposing. (It's protected and private. No one can see you except the birds and possibly, spy satellites.) There's not much water pressure either, but again, you're getting away from it all, right?
- The night sky is brilliant if it's clear. Bring some binoculars, but also bring some good insect repellant!
- The nearby town of Pāhoa is currently experiencing some lava invasion so check to make sure restaurants, shops, stores, etc. are still open before setting out. (Malama Market is closed, but Island Naturals is open.)
What can I say? Eric and Diane's Hale, that they created with their own hands with such obvious love, was the perfect introduction of the beauty of Hawaii for me and my husband. You are surrounded by nothing but the beauty and sounds of nature. The fact that everything is off the grid only adds to the atmosphere, making it feel like you are almost camping. The bed was very comfortable and the outdoor shower, while not the warmest, was certainly a treat. Eric and Diane were nice enough to walk down in the dark to greet us and give us the grand tour and Diane was around for questions, advice, and some nice conversation later in our stay. The location of the hale was perfect for most of the sights that we wished to see on the southern half of the island and they provided everything that we needed including snorkeling gear which is a must for those tide pools and geothermic pool. We would definitely want to stay here again if we ever make it back to the Big Island.