Response from David And Carolyn:
Below is our review of Carol's property which we completed soon after leaving. We note that in her response, Carol did not refute the events described in our complaint, including her rude behaviour toward us on arrival, but chose instead to blame our response to her erratic behaviour on our final day on alcohol. We are deeply upset at this for the following reasons:
1. Never whilst staying at Carol's were we drunk.
2. My husband bought 4 beers at the start of our stay 4 day stay and put them in the refrigerator. At no time did the house rules or Carol stipulate that this was not allowed.
3. On the day Carol is referring to, we had been at the beach from 9 in the morning and arrived back to Carol's after 3 as we were tired and wanted to rest prior to going out to dinner.
4. We had a siesta and then my husband caught up on some emails and blogging, whilst doing this he had one beer.
5. We then got ready to go out for dinner which is when Carol began yelling at us for using the bathroom.
6. At no time during Carol's yelling at us did she even mention alcohol, her primary concerns appeared to be that we had been in our room too long (according to her you are only supposed to use the room to sleep in at night) and that we went to the toilet too often (we had each been once since coming home from the beach, including having a shower).
7. We most certainly did not reek or alcohol as I had not had anything to drink and my husband, as stated, had had one beer.
As for her comments about us not being interested in Figueres, during out time in Figueres we: walked around the whole of Figueres, went to the castle, visited the church next to Dali museum, dined out for a couple of lunches and dinners, attended Dali by night, had a picnic in the park, did some shopping and spent a day at the beach in Colera. We are truly not sure how much more we could have done.
We are upset at Carol's accusations as they are simply untrue and we feel that she has accused us of this to cover up for her erratic and inexcusable behaviour.
In our 5 months of travels, we have stayed in all types of accomodation and have never received a complaint.
We have been travelling for 4.5 months, and have never felt more unwelcome. We were quiet and respectful yet Carol treated us horribly. - Check-in is 4pm. Days prior, we emailed Carol and asked if we could check in at 2pm. Carol said ok. We arrived at 1.53pm, Carol opened the door and just stared at us. We explained who we were, and were told that the room wasn't ready, and to come back at 4pm. We asked if we could leave our bags. Carol seemed very put out by this request but reluctantly agreed. - We returned from lunch at 4.30pm, and were told that the room was still not ready. We said that was fine and waited patiently. - We expected a quiet apartment, but there were 7 guests sharing one apartment. - Carol told us that we would have to move rooms the next day, and we came back at lunch and moved as requested. - We read the house manual beforehand, made an effort to be quiet at all times, only used the kitchen to make breakfast (coffee and cereal) and occasionally lunch (some sandwiches). - Our daily routine was to have breakfast and leave by 9, then return in the afternoon to our room for a siesta before going out to dinner. - On our 3rd day, we left at 9am and returned around 3.15pm. At about 6.30pm, I tried to use the bathroom. As I started to use the toilet, Carol started banging loudly on the door and tried to enter. She yelled through the door that she wanted to clean the bathroom. It was embarrassing for me as I had to explain (while sitting on the toilet) that I needed to go. - Carol stormed off yelling, and then put on loud punk music. My wife asked her if there was a problem.Carol began yelling at us that: 1. We go to the toilet too many times per day and it is weird and maybe something was wrong with us. 2. We were spending too much time in the room during the day.The room is only for sleeping at night. 3. Carol was angry because she wanted to clean the bathroom but felt she couldn't do it until we had left the apartment. Carol kept yelling and would not let me speak. She said that if we weren't happy we should just leave and take our money, then she started talking about "calling the police as it is my house". We were confused as to whether she wanted us to leave. Carol then said maybe if I was smarter I could speak in French or Spanish. We considered leaving the apartment, but it wast too late. I said that we had done nothing wrong and would like to stay. Carol said that was fine and "can we just forget this ever happened." Unfortunately, I cannot forget this happened, as it ruined our stay. We were yelled at, insulted and embarrassed by a rude host.