Lauran has completed online and offline ID verification.
Learn more »
This review is not for Lauran personally, but for her boss and his family for whom she booked the whole house. Here are just the facts:
- Lauran booked the property and did not inform me that the booking was for her boss' family and that they were bringing a dog. (i found that out by stopping my the house).
- The guests did not show up for two days and did not inform me, so I had to leave the key under the mat for two days (their planned arrival was 4 am). That is not a safe practice in Atlanta.
- Though I explained twice on the phone to Saul that he should park on the left side of the house (because he told me at the last minute he had a UHAUL), he instead forced open my automatic steel gate (without first asking me how it opened) and hydraulic arm on the right side of the house, and broke it. It had to be welded together again, which I spent my day off managing. Saul paid for the damage graciously. However, he did not inform me the gate was broken-- I found that when I checked in on them to make sure they got in okay and to see if they needed anything.
- While stopping by, I noticed the first floor was warm. I called the AC repairman to come by the next day and replace the freon ($250 visit). I later realized that four windows upstairs were cracked open at the top of the windows. Someone had opened all the windows and tried to shut them again, but they wouldn't close completely because the top windows had dipped down. The fourth window was painted shut- we never opened it. Now, we've found it forced open, and a quarter inch piece of wood broken off the frame and now the whole window is stuck open. That window will need to be repaired.
- While the gate was broken open, the guests also left my backdoor unlocked when they left the house late in the evening for several hours (very unsafe in Atlanta).
- They left significant, visible stains (larger than a grapefruit) on my futon chair and my spare futon-- both which were concealed (one with a pillow and one by placing it back into the dormer storage area). They did not inform me about these stains.
- His kids dipped my favorite earrings in candle wax. I have wax all over the face of the patterned earrings and little patterned earring marks in the candle.
- There were major scuff marks on my wall and paint chipped-- an unusual amount of wear and tear I have not seen in 4 months of airbnb rentals.
Some of this smaller damage I would not ordinarily complain about if they happened in isolation. I am fully prepared by participating in airbnb that accidents and wear and tear happen. I am actually very accommodating and want my guests to feel comfortable and not worry about minor damage. But taken altogether, all the issues above makes it appear to me that the family had a repeated and significant lack of respect for my home. The only reason I'm writing this all here is so that future hosts can be aware of this before they decide to book.
Lauran herself was incredibly responsive and professional. It is a shame that this review has to go on her account. Unfortunately, she booked the place on behalf of her boss, Saul Orteaga, and he doesn't have his own airbnb account.