George - I'm sorry that you felt it was musty - we've not had that complaint before in several years of renting, and we've never had signs of mold so although things smelled musty to you,I just want to assure you that in terms of health issues, I doubt that it was mold. It's a summer house in the woods - as a family we've been going there for three generations now and it has the same smells of all summer houses I go in. But I am familiar with it, so I am sorry it bothered you. In terms of dates - it's a typical 1950s design but with an very updated kitchen and bathroom which folks seem to like, and we regularly paint and are about to get new rugs. So it gets a lot more attention than I typically see in some rented houses!
I am so glad you had a good time. I actually usually do buy fragrance free detergent for both this house and my b and b in New Hampshire - but my guess is our cleaner replaced what had been used up. I'll make sure we stay with the fragrance free because I also don't care for a scent!