The Furnas Lake Cottage is in a beautiful location. We especially enjoyed breakfast while looking out on the lake and the mountains behind it. The house is located a short drive (and certainly walkable distance) from Furnas town, where we were able to find Internet access. Although host Jose was out of the country when we stayed there, we easily arranged to pick up the key from his father in Ponta Delgada, and the house had been cleaned before we arrived. A residual odor (mentioned in another review) mostly dissipated with a little airing. Location, location, location!! Everything else was secondary.
The cottage has a magnificent view. It has all the comforts you need for a quite holiday. Contact with José was easy. His father brougth the keys to the airport and the house was easy to find.
José has been an incredible host. He provided us with true insider tips for local restaurants, beautiful beaches and sights. This really made our stay even more special. Furnas cottage is simple but really cozy, especially the fireplace rounds up its charm. The view over the lake is unique. I definitely recommend the Furnas cottage to everyone.
We stayed two weeks in the lovely cottage at the lake and had a great time. The view is spectacular, exactly like the photo's and the house is really cute. We also enjoyed using both the fireplaces, outdoors and indoors.
Furthermore, José was a wonderful host. He provided us with lost of tips 'to keep groovin' the vulcanic vibe', which we of course followed to explore the island.
I definitely recommend this place if you enjoy staying on a wonderful location close to nature,
The Furnas lake cottage is really nice! Very spacious, with a full living room and kitchen. There is also a spectacular view of the lake when the weather is clear! Jose was a really fantastic host, and gave us superb restaurant and activity reservations that made our experience even better!
This is not a location I would recommend, although I have to say that Furnas is a lovely little town to visit, and that the view from the house over the lake was great.
Jose kindly met us on the airport, and gave us the keys, and assured us, that the house has been cleaned and everything was in order.
- The house was cleaned, but not aired, and had a really heavy, unpleasant smell of a moist cellar.
- There were no mosquito nets on any of the windows, which made it very difficult to air.
- There was no curtain on the windows of the main bedroom. This means that the sun woke us up very early every morning.
- The road just under the house is very busy, (It was a bit of a surprise to us, as it seems like a tiny road) and the locals drive very fast on the cobblestone-road which is really noisy!
- We stayed for only 4 nights, but found 3 dying rats on the patio around the house. This is of course not Jose's fault, but was not pleasant to deal with.
- And last, but certainly not least: The electric wiring of the house is NOT SAFE! On the last day, whilst a mobile recharger (without the phone) also being plugged into an electric extension, one of us turned on a lamp, pluged into the same extension. The socket flickered and burned out, also demageing the recharger. This would all not be that bad, but the THE SAFETY SWITCH DID NOT TURN OFF!
Obviously we called Jose about it, and he, instead of being worried for our safety, or sending someone to check it, asked back: "Did you break the lamp!? It was working last time!"
It really made us upset.
José is a hell of a good host! Being a local makes him an expert of all the restaurants in São Miguel so he mapped out some top-notch ones for us to try out in the island. He also prepared some lovely treats to welcome us to the house and went to the tourist office to grab some maps and walking routes for more in depth information. The cottage is located in a very idyllic place in Furnas, right by the lake... waking up to that view every morning was absolutely priceless! The place is really cosy and has a great vintage look. We honestly couldn't have asked for more... the combination of a great host and beautiful cottage has made all the difference to our holiday! Thumbs up all the way... you're definitely in for a treat!