Born and raised in Beijing. The courtyard has been my family property for 4 generations ever since my great grandmother bought it in 1948. If you want to experience a most genuine Beijing, I can assure you life doesn't get more real than here.
If you are looking for a luxurious service apartment, you need to look further. This is just a ordinary household.
If you need, I can walk around with you as an introduction to my neighborhood. The super market, banks, post office, ticket agencies, bus stations and subway stations will be pointed out to you so you can immediately get a vibe of living a local life.
A FREE cooking lesson (including guided tour of a nearby farmer's market) can be arranged if you are interested.
If you want home cooked dumplings/steamed buns for breakfast, please let me know in advance.
Before I accept your reservation request, I would like to know a little bit about you. I am not going to accept your request if your profile is empty with just a name.
After your reservation request is accepted, I will e-mail you my own Beijing survival guide. Please read it carefully and tread with caution when you are in Beijing. This will prevent you from getting scammed.
There are only 3 of us living on such a huge private property (20 rooms on a land of 480 square meters/5160 square feet). That's why we have spare houses for guests.
THIS IS NOT A HOTEL. There won't be annoying additional charges. Beer, tea, coffee, snacks are on the house. But because THIS IS NOT A HOTEL, I am not your concierge or receptionist either. Mutual respect + adequate consideration is a must.
If you want
1. a relaxing place to stay in an authentic traditional neighborhood where daily life unfolds
2. English speaking hosts who can be reached all the time
3. a well compiled kit with survival guide, neighborhood restaurants list, detailed instructions on how to get to major touristy sites, etc
4. restaurants and shops that don't charge rip-off foreign tourist prices
5. attending yoga/belly dancing class in the evening at a community center nearby with the locals
very likely, you will enjoy staying here.
If you love
1. getting pampered in fancy hotels
2. residing in the middle of noisy, dazzling night life
3. feeling a part of an expat community
most definitely, you will NOT enjoy staying here.
I try to be the kind of host I would love to meet when I travel. I am happy to help you work out an itinerary whether you want a slow-paced trip or a action-packed one.
All guests will be given a local mobile. It's great feeling to know you always have somebody to call when you need a bailout. ATTENTION: My phone will be off between 11:00 p.m. and 7:30 a.m.
Answers to most frequent questions:
1. All the reservations need to be made on airbnb. Airbnb cancellation policy should be respected. Please finalize your trip before you make reservation.
2. The name of my neighborhood is Dong Si. One of the earliest populated neighborhood in the city center. It is a very safe area. Actually, Beijing is a relatively safe city. The nearest subway stations are Dong Si Shi Tiao (LINE2) on the east and Zhang Zi Zhong Lu (LINE5) on the west. It's a 5- 10 minutes walking distance.
3. The answer to "I am/my friend is in Beijing, can we come over to have a look" is a most definite NO. If you are still suspicious after checking out heaps of photos I post here and nearly 300 reviews my guests have written, I know it is not going to be a pleasant hosting experience for me.
4. If you want to visit most of the major sites in Beijing, you will need 3 full days at least. A couple of days stay in Beijing is way too short.
5. There are different parts of the Great Wall that are open to tourists. They are between 1 and 4 hours drive from the city center. So my place is DEFINITELY NOT near the Great Wall.
6. Beijing is a huge city that spreads out (over 20 million population) with touristy sites in different parts of the city. So my place is DEFINITELY NOT close to all the sites. But from my place, most of the sites can be easily reached on foot or by subway.
7. I can help you hire car/driver for airport pick-up/drop off or trip to the sites.I make sure the drivers I work with don't make annoying stops at touristy shops.
8. My pleasure to help you book tickets to different performances (acrobatics, martial arts, Peking Opera, National Opera House etc.). They are normally much cheaper on Chinese websites.
9. You don't really need tour guides. Most people don't speak good English here in Beijing. But majority of them are friendly to foreign tourists and are quite willing to help.
10. All the rooms have air-conditioners, big electric heaters and boilers for shower. AND they are in GOOD WORKING CONDITION.
11. Each house has its own private bathroom. You don't need to share with us or other guests.
12. I can teach you all the bargaining tricks and how to make most of your shopping money. BUT...and this is a big BUT... please don't bargain with me. I really don't like it.
Cindy has completed online and offline ID verification.