Originally from Europe, I spent more than a decade in Los Angeles. This little retreat is a gem that brought me a lot of peace, and I'm happy to share it with kind and respectful visitors, as it makes your stay in the city of Angels truly nice.
Rachael, it seems you came over with very different expectations than what my little artist retreat has to offer.
As described in the listing, the bungalow is:
1. small indeed (and I make sure to emphasize this point in every email communication prior to booking, as I did in my first email to you!);
2. vintage (no flashy remodeled bathroom or kitchen here, but old school facilities that get cleaned thoroughly before and after each guest. During the process the place usually benefits from little improvements here and there and small features may be added: brand new shelves in the bathroom in your case);
3. providing custom made beds offering firm support (should you have asked, there's a memory foam mattress located underneath the queen mattress that you could have placed on top of the futon for a softer support);
4. offering fast cable internet connection and wifi (and now a brand new modem since you failed to mentioned mine stopped working while you were there…and - as I read in your review - after you did whatever you did to the modem that was working perfectly fine when you entered the premises);
5. naturally ventilated with windows on all 3 walls and 2 fans (I offered to purchase some cooling system for you when it turned out you had to deal with a heatwave, but you declined and also mentioned you are allergic to A/C);
6. offered under a strict cancelation policy (although I offered you a refund, you claimed it was not good enough and started to look for every possible detail you could complain about in order to ask for a refund to airbnb. I'm glad they obliged your request, and that they were gentlemen enough to not even bother to contact me regarding your report).
Once again, Rachael, I'm sorry you had such an unpleasant experience. I've been fortunate enough to have guests that truly understood and loved the place so far: it's much pleasant for everyone!
I spent tremendous time trying to help, guide and advise from a distance to accommodate you, your boyfriend and your two cats, but it turned out I couldn't make the place bigger nor did I find a way to have any control over the unusual crazy hot weather you had to endure…
However, thanks for sharing your thought, I agree with the technical points of your review: that my place is best suited for a single person or a grounded couple that can appreciate a small but charming, zen, garden oriented, old school style, safe, quite and centrally located little artist's retreat.