my best friends usually use words like calm, sophisticated, whimsical, witty and intelligent to describe me, so we'll go with that.
right now i'm enjoying living in the heart of Toronto. i work at a bookstore and volunteer in mental health. i'm putting roots down with my live-in partner, while also always dreaming about our next travel adventures.
top 3 things i've seen or done while travelling:
eins- walking across the golden gate bridge as the sun was setting
zwei- hiking to the top of an alp in switzerland, staring down at the magnificent view
drei- a street festival in spain where the whole town was partying, walked into a bar to see a few horses just hanging out in it :)
my travelling style:
i like to pretend i'm moving there, pick a neighborhood or two that strikes my fancy and then really get to know it - eating brunch, walking around the area and popping into book stores and record stores, thrifting a few keepsakes, and spending my nights drinking pitchers with my travel companion and new friends/strangers.
5 things i have to do wherever i travel:
1. eat delicious food - what's the city's signature food? what do the locals eat?
2. listen to great music - what cool venues can i scope out? which new bands to discover?
3. explore nature - what beautiful sights does the area have? what does the air feel like? how many trees can i hug? haha okay that last one is kind of a joke. kind of.
4. spend a whole day just walking around - letting my feet take me wherever, seeing the charming little spots and the regular old spots that make it a real city, not just a tourist attraction
5. hunt down books, records and thrifted mementos
you can usually find me:
daydreaming. laughing. playing cards against humanity. being a good listener. staying up late. being a human spell-check. baking brownies. perceiving and understanding others' emotions. procrastinating. crafting (craftivism!). creative writing. spontaneously cooking vegan dishes. drawing figure models. smiling. packing suitcases (i am an expert). instagramming. relaxing. spreading feminism. giving hugs.
food i want to eat right now:
- anything vegetarian-- i'm open to trying all foods!
one might call me a "foodie"; i'm very passionate about trying it, making it, savouring it.
- i'm obsessed with mexican, italian, indian and thai foods
- i like eating healthy, and then turning around and eating really greasy pizza, hey, life is too short!
music on my record player:
- fiona apple
- nina simone
- billie holiday
- camera obscura
- broken social scene (and all its solo projects)
- tegan and sara
- arcade fire
- iron & wine
- elliott smith
- sufjan stevens
- rilo kiley
- beach house
- death cab
books i love:
- currently obsessed with short stories by: alice munro, flannery o'connor, ann beattie, lorrie moore, tobias wolff, raymond carver, miranda july
- catcher in the rye, j.d. salinger
- white oleander, by janet fitch
- revolutionary road, by richard yates
- lucky, by alice sebold
- alice in wonderland, by lewis carroll
- graphic novels: fun home, by alison bechdel; blankets, by craig thompson; jimmy corrigan, the smartest kid on earth, by chris ware; persepolis, by marjane satrapi; anything by adrian tomine
- any poetry by sylvia plath and e.e. cummings
- the art of travel, by alain de botton
movies i'll re-watch anyday:
- american beauty
- eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
- mostly all sofia coppola
- noam baumbach: frances ha, the squid and the whale, margot at the wedding
shows to watch when i stay in:
- currently: broad city
-six feet under
- united states of tara
- mad men
- 30 rock
- the big c
- arrested development
- the office
- sex and the city