I am a teacher from Wilmington NC
Maritsa was absolutely wonderful and a responsible communicator. She made sure everything went off perfectly. I choose Blue Knob partly because of her excellent pre-booking communication. This was especially important because I stayed for an entire month which she graciously and efficiently accommodated.
I was there during the entire month of June, 2014 so my review is about summer conditions. With only an occasional summer camp church group and a handful of summer residents and golfers, the resort was as relaxed and quiet as a lazy summer day.
The surrounding hardwood forests are a nature lover / day hiker's dream. I was pleasantly surprised how relatively unspoiled the Allegheny hills and forests are.
* Very dog friendly.
* NO POISON IVY! I'm highly sensitive so this was an unexpected & appreciated bonus.
* Many easy-to-moderate blazed trails. "Sound of Music" hilltop meadows filled with wildflowers where ski lifts are located.
* A variety of wildlife (groundhogs, salamanders, deer, birds, black bear!) can be spotted. Lots of wildflowers and trees - bring guidebooks.
* Very quiet / low usage.
* Adjacent to Blue Knob State Park with additional trails, picnic areas, a visitor center and activities.
* Sweet self-indulgent options: two hot tubs, sauna, indoor and outdoor pools, tennis court, golf course, two restaurants, bar, pay washing machines/dryers. Hours vary depending on season.
* Wireless internet available at the rental office nearby although not always reliable as it depends on their satellite reception/equipment.
* The living room DirectTV got local stations, MSNBC, Lifetime, NFL, Comedy Central and Discovery while the bedroom TV was set up for DVDs/VHS.
* Grocery, drug store, post office, library, family restaurants available in the small town of Blue Knob. Full service everything available in Altoona, about 25 miles away.
* The 2nd floor condo itself is very comfortable and well furnished with a fully functional kitchen and nice view. Everything you need for your stay is provided.
* The condo complex, not Maritsa's unit specifically but some of the public areas and walkways, show signs of age as mentioned in TripAdvisor reviews. But based on Maritsa's honest and accurate description/photos I didn't expect a newly built, plush five-star resort so I hardly noticed these minor aesthetics.
* The last 2.5 miles of the paved road leading to the resort is steep and winding. As a "flatlander" who gets white-knucked on winding mountain roads, it was a cautious thrill to drive. You also have the option of driving over the top of the mountain and down through Blue Knob State Park which is gorgeous.
I really look forward to returning with my wife. She will *love* the hot tub relaxation intermingled with natural beauty and wandering those majestic poison-ivy free hills with our dog!
We had a great time staying here and at Blue Knob. The condo fit our needs perfectly and the nearby hot tub was a nice touch! I'd only recommend the space for four people. There's room for more, but you might want to bring an air mattress. Fun times!
Response from Maritsa:
Thanks so much Emily glad you had fun. We try to keep the condo cozy. Hope you can come again soon. I think you would love the condo in the summer as well. You can take long nature walks. Thanks for staying with us.
The reservation was canceled 51 days before arrival. This is an automated posting.
Absolutely perfect location for a weekend getaway! Beautiful views and scenery and only minutes away from Blue Knob State Park with a number of hiking trails. And just steps away from from a great little pub/restaurant and hot tub.
Response from Maritsa:
Thanks so much Matthew. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at our condo. Hope you can come again sometime. It is a great place to ski in the winter.