I am a 24 year-old girl working in HK after having graduated from university in NYC.
Let me start out by saying that Astrid was a wonderful host! She was extremely responsive and was always reachable just in case anything went wrong. She proactively provided my bf and I a document of how to get from the airport to her apartment, how much it would cost on cab or subway, how to obtain keys to her place, places to eat etc. She was also available via phone and text messages just in case something happened.
In terms of her apartment, the place was amazing! It was such a cute and clean space and central to everything in Hong Kong. The MTR (which is their subway system) was extremely close by and so were restaurants, Lan Kwai Fong (bar street), 7-Eleven and other grocery stores. Her room was nice and comfy with a soft bed and plenty of sunlight. Her apartment also had a wonderful view of the skyscrapers since it's located on one of the top floors of her building which has more than 40+ floors. I would definitely recommend staying at Astrid's place to anyone and would stay there again as well!
Congratulations! You've found the ideal place to stay in HK! Seriously, you can stop looking.
This was my first trip to HK. I spent five nights in Astrid's room and think it was the perfect choice because:
1. It's very easy to get to from the airport via the train + a short cab
2. It's super centrally located, just a few minutes walk from Soho, Lan Kwai Fong and local eateries.
3. It's 150m from the mid-level escalators so it's easy to get back to on foot without climbing the HK hills
4. There are a 7-11, a supermarket and a pharmacist within 20m of the front door. Other things too, both those are very useful.
5. Cab drivers know where it is, and it's a $20-35HKD trip from basically anywhere (e.g. 32 to the Star Ferry pier).
6. The room is big by HK standards: About 3x3m with a very comfortable double bed (v firm mattress, which I love) and space to keep your bags
7. The apartment has everything you need, is big and comfortable, and Atrid's 3 housemates are all very friendly, though we hardly saw each other due to differing timetables.
8. I don't know if I was sharing a bathroom. Even when the others were home it seemed I had on to myself. It was clean and had everything I needed.
9. There's a proper kitchen if you plan on cooking, but why you would in HK I cannot imagine!
10. Despite its proximity to everything there was no audible street noise and I slept like a baby!
11. Astrid was very helpful and communicative via email though we never met and never needed to. I got the keys from the clerk in reception and gave them back to the same clerk.
There were some renovations going on about the building when I stayed but they didn't disturb me. Nothing at night or early morning.
Next time I come back to HK, Astrid's place will be the first place I check for availability!
Location is perfect - in mid-levels and about 10 minutes from central walking (via escalators). Flat is spacious by HK standards and Astrid and room mates are great.