Visit create.airbnb.com »
Thanks for taking the time to report this user.
Your participation helps keep Airbnb a safe and trusted
community, and it doesn't go unnoticed!
Hip, young working professional and New Yorker.
E.H. has completed online and offline ID verification.
Learn more »
Not enough can be said about the location of this apartment. Within 6 blocks (I'm not making this up) was Chinatown (End of the block), Little Italy (1 block east), The Bowery (4 blocks east), LES (6 blocks east), TriBeCa (4 blocks west, then south), NoLIta (2 blocks north), SoHo (3 blocks west) and the Civic Center (2 blocks south). The area was also served by 16 of the 22 subways in the ENTIRE 5 burroughs, so you could realistically be anywhere (not just Manhattan but also Queens, The Bronx and Brooklyn) in no time. The only other area like this regarding transport is Midtown which speaks volumes.
The neighborhood is very safe also and friendly. The apartment itself was exactly as described. No more, no less. Spotless and modern. USB on the TV too!
Although be aware the water heat seems to be building wide and timed so we could only really get a decent shower very early in the morning or late in the evening for an hour. Which is fair enough, but inconvenient at times. Our 1 negative about the service was that we'd to figure this out ourselves and tried numerous times to contact the owner to clarify this with no response. With this in mind, we reckoned the apartment is clearly a business outlet of a property management agency as the man who showed us the apartment didn't seem to be aware of the owners online title or even the term Airbnb.
Also, in the building's open foyer between the front of the building and the rear (where the apartment is) there was a sizable amount of rats at times. However, a neighbour said an operation to deal with this was beginning shortly and by the time we left this seemed to be the case, with extermination & prevention measures being put in place.
Honestly, even the most pessimistic & negative person couldn't find anything wrong except for the one or two things above, which in fairness are minor anyway. (1. Obviously it's a business operation. 2. Timed water is nothing new in buildings like this. 3. Rats in a city of 8 million is standard, and it's not like they were in, near or around the apartment.)
The place was fantastic. Intend on booking on my return next summer.
Tips for future guests:
1. Get a MetroCard. Worth it. $30 for a week, oppose to $2.75 a trip.
2. For the Europeans: Standard US supermarkets & produce are of a very poor quality, and nowhere close to European ones. If you are use to M&S, Dunnes, Tesco, SuperU, Aldi, Lidl, Edeka, Carrefour, Hema, etc. Then I recommend Wholefoods on Union Square. Some New Yorkers call it posh/fancy, but to be honest, it was the only supermarket we found that was similar to what we would consider a standard/acceptable supermarket.
3. The shop next door to the building entrance is renowned city wide for their spongecake. It's a buck for a good slice, try it!
There are pros and cons to this listing, so let me just list them.
- Location (Chinatown is somewhat specific place to be. Although it is subjective, I think this is not the experience people seek in NYC. There is also a huge detention center across the street)
- Noisy radiators (I think it was air going in and out)
- Sink was also plugged and water stayed for a bit (I tried cleaning it, but only partially helped)
- Windows are not windproof (Luckily we had heavy curtains to cover windows, but I still felt a breeze into my face at night)
- Strict house manual put unnecessary stress on me personally. Although we didn't have any issues at all, it
- Fernan was very easy to communicate with and very helpful. He also allowed us to do a late checkout.
- Appartment is updated as it seen on the pictures. It is clean and comfy.
- Location (although I list this in cons, it is also here because apartment is really close to other nice areas of Manhattan and have plenty of good restaurants in walkable distance)
- Despite windy windows, it was warm enough without any additional heaters, not like our next airbnb apartment. (BTW, we were there during one of the coldest week, so some of these notes may not apply during other times)
Overall, it was a good stay at the affordable price! I would recommend this listing.
The experience was very good. The apartment is just like in the pictures, we were 4 friends and was good enough to fit all of us. East village is a great zone of the city with tones of restaurants and bars to go.
The host was there when we arrived and we were able to check out just by leaving, which was nice.
Really recomendable for the price!
Very satisfied with the whole experience. Contact was very easy on the day of, and meeting up to get in was an absolute breeze. (The Q train to Canal St. Is your best bet, walk towards the Centre exit.)
Stayed in early February, and the apartment felt amazing! The radiators kept the place very warm, and the water got up to temperature quickly!
There are more than enough linens for four people, and even though it was just me, I felt like an extra two people would be comfortable. With four, two of them better know each other pretty well! ;)
There is a lot of culture in the area, and if you want to truly experience it, head East, away from the train stops on Canal St.
Loved the place, and I already miss it!
The reservation was canceled 51 days before arrival. This is an automated posting.
We stayed in Edward's flat for 5 nights in Jan/Feb 2015.
The flat was clean, with all equipment necessary for a short stay (contrary to the description, note that there is no washing machine). It was located not too far from subways, in a quite calm street (not a big avenue...).
Although, the bedroom's window is on the street side, which makes the flat very noisy even/especially at night. Due to AC equipment in the wall, you can hear all noises from the street and even people talking on the pavement...
The flat was very cold (bad insulation in the bedroom...) and the heating is also noisy.
This is not a flat where you can hope to rest properly coming back from you day spent visiting New-York !
The reservation was canceled 8 days before arrival. This is an automated posting.
Appartement très bien situé. Un petit peu bruyant dans la chambre (bruit de la rue). Propre.
Thank you very much! Everything was wonderful!
Great place at a decent price and good location. The apartment was clean, comfortable and relatively quiet. The building is a little run down but the studio is a great place to rest your head :)