There's nothing wrong with the chimney or fireplace - you have to reach in up to the right and push a lever up. It's old-fashioned but it sure works. There's always been a fire-extinguisher very apparently placed in the kitchen - and I was relieved to see it's still. Keeping the batteries in the smoke detectors is always a challenge bc guests are always removing them bc they get set off relatively easily. All batts have been replaced and they work fine. Sorry Mary and her party were disappointed.