In short, I'm a new grad student and will be traveling to a lot of conferences, seminars, and workshops. My horrendously busy life revolves around teaching and researching. I'm a very open person. All my years of undergrad were spent stuck in Oregon, so I haven't traveled in a long time. I'd love to get out and see the world, and meet other people who value compassion and understanding.
5 things I can't live without:
* The presence of good people in my life
* Music... either playing or listening. It centers me.
* Intellectual engagement. It's as important as food or sleep to me.
* Time to myself every now and then. I'm a bit of an introvert. I love one-on-one interaction, but having more people around gets overwhelming sometimes.
* The internet. This might be true for anyone in my generation. I don't even realize how much of my life I spend on computers.
As an adolescent I spent some time living and working in the wilderness of the Pacific Northwest. It's a gorgeous place, but I haven't been outside Oregon in a long time. I'd like to visit the big cities of the world and connect with other cultures.
Some of my favorite movies are Boondock Saints, Daniel Craig's 007's, Star Wars, Phantom of the Opera, Rent, The Proposal, etc, etc,....
As far as music goes, I like a little bit of everything. Usually it's rock, dubstep, or instrumental. Every few months I go through a Lady Gaga phase. XD
Sadly, all my reading nowadays is either academic or the news. The last fiction novel I read all the way through was Watership Down.