Skip to content

Sightseeing in South Dublin

Museum
“Really good museum across the road, tells the story of our independence, the guides are generally very insightful and fun”
280 locals recommend
Monument / Landmark
“Wonderful open parkland to walk, picnic & relax in, my go to place fro relaxing”
20 locals recommend
Garden
“These gardens are one of the most famous memorial gardens in Europe. They are dedicated to the memory of 49,400 Irish soldiers who died in the 1914 – 1918 war. The names of all the soldiers are contained in the beautifully illustrated Harry Clarke manuscripts in the granite bookrooms in the gardens. These gardens are not only a place of remembrance but are also of great architectural interest and beauty. They are one of four gardens in this country designed by the famous architect Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869-1944). The others being Heywood Gardens (see p.63), Lambay Island and those in Howth Castle. Sunken rose gardens, herbaceous borders and extensive tree planting make for an enjoyable visit to the gardens in any season.”
39 locals recommend
Plaza
“The red line Luas connects to the green line as well as the DART (train) at Connolly station.”
16 locals recommend
Farm
“A historic house holding important collections, an art gallery, a working farm, and the official Irish State guest house, Farmleigh House and Estate is open seven days a week, all year round. An estate of seventy-eight acres situated to the north-west of Dublin’s Phoenix Park, Farmleigh provides accommodation for visiting dignitaries and guests of the nation. As a historic house, Farmleigh remains a unique representation of its heyday, the Edwardian period, and houses important artworks and furnishings, as well as the Benjamin Iveagh collection of rare books, bindings, and manuscripts which is held in the Library. ”
13 locals recommend
Historic Site
“This beautiful round tower is built on the site of a monastery founded by St Mochua in the 7th century. It is one of only four remaining in County Dublin, the others are located in Swords, Lusk and Rathmichael. It stands over 90 foot high and is thought to be an early example as the granite on the lintels is flat. The most unusual feature of this tower is the very pronounced buttress at the base which is constructed with a different type of stone to the tower. The series of steps was believed to be added to the buttress in the late 19th century. There are 6 windows in the tower and the top 4 of them point north, south, east and west. The church of St John, on the opposite side of the road, h”
2 locals recommend
Historic Site
1 local recommends
Castle
1 local recommends
Monument / Landmark
1 local recommends