About This Listing
Sleep under massive oaks and enjoy the native of landscape Topanga Canyon. Hike up Red Rock Cyn or hit the beaches. Then return to nap on the floating bed. At night, warm up around the fire pit in the teepee while lounging on a giant circular couch.
20' TeePee on a 700sq foot deck up in the backyard ... more pictures interior with couch and fire pit further on
On a 4 acre property, nestled amongst 250 year old oaks, beside a seasonal creek, sits this wonderful apartment. Attached to a larger home, but with it's own separate entrance, one enters first into a large open kitchen with high vaulted ceilings. Large custom steel windows on most every wall bring the outdoors in. And the surrounding landscape is full of life. . . one shouldn't be surprised to encounter rabbit deer squirrels frogs hawks woodpeckers owls bluejays hummingbirds raccoons coyotes bobcats and even a company of parrots who frequent the nearby trees. Out behind the house is a 20 foot teepee built upon a 700 square foot wood deck with a huge built in wrap around couch and a drop in fire pit to keep you warm. Or, enjoy the large wood deck overlooking the seasonal creek, the massive picnic table out back or crawl up into the hills and enjoy the local trails or some of the 10,000 acres of nearby parkland all about Topanga Canyon. You'll also find a 7 x 14 foot trampoline, large floating daybed, even a circus hoop about the property. Landscape lighting and strings of commercial lights make for wonderful nighttime gatherings.
If you have never experienced radiant heated floors, you are in for a treat. . . hand finished heated concrete floors throughout ensure that you will always be the perfect temperature. The new queen size bed is a serta gel foam mattress... wonderful to sleep on. The kitchen is stocked with a new set of cuisinart all clad stainless pots and pans and plenty of basics to get you started with any meal. You'll find a nice array of spices, sugar, flour etc. Pick up fresh veggies and such at our local farmers market on Fridays (just 2 miles away) or a more robust market on Saturdays in nearby Calabasas.
On a more practical level there's a new washer and dryer under the main house at your disposal. In the living room there's a large flat screen TV if you desire to watch the tube, make use of the high speed internet service everywhere, or play music through the available Sonos system. Cell phones don't work in many areas of the canyon, including this one, but there's a dedicated phone line for your use.
PHOTOGRAPHY AND FILM: with the exception of OBVIOUS personal family and friend snap shots one might take while on vacation, there is to be NO filming or photography shot on the grounds without prior asking. Photo and Film Shoots are priced differently and a deal must be worked out with the owner beforehand. Please write with questions.
Everything on the property...
Interaction with Guests
As much or as little as they like. Unless I am out of town, I am usually close by and make myself available to them if needed.
Nope.... definitely want to have a car up here.
1.Cell phones often do not work up here... There is a dedicated phone line provided with the rental. Calls are not to be made outside the country unless made with a prepaid calling card.
2.Septic: please DO NOT flush anything but toilet paper down the toilets. Our septic system can only accept toilet paper. Unclogging the lines is unpleasant at the very least and you won't enjoy not having use of the toilet/s if this happens. ALSO please do not wash grease down the sinks. Wipe pans with paper towels and throw into the trash before washing very greasy pans.
3. PETS are permitted only with prior approval and a Pet Addendum must be completed... there is also an extra cleaning fee of $100 for pets
4. Housekeeping: There is mandatory weekly house keeping service included in the rate.
5. Keep the property and all furnishings in good order.
6. People other than those in the Guest party may not stay overnight in the property unless something has been worked out beforehand with owner. Any other person in the property is the sole responsibility of Guest.
7. The owners are not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that occurs while on the premises. The Homeowners are not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the guest. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premise.
8. Smoking is allowed outside only.
9. I will gladly cover the Utilities costs as long as they are kept in check. I will provide one tank of propane for the summer months... i never use that much. If another is needed you will be held responsible for the cost of it.
10. NO FILMING OR PHOTOGRAPHY is allowed on the property except for the VER OBVIOUS PERSONAL use of the people staying here.
11. FIREPLACE … There is a chain just inside the fireplace on the left hand side… use it to open the damper up top. It only needs to be opened halfway. If you do not open it the house will fill with smoke. After your fire has gone out, please pull the damper back into the closed position. There is wood outside if you desire to make a fire. YOU MUST USE FIRE SCREEN while burning a fire… ashes fly out all the time and have burned holes in the floor before.
12. OUTDOOR FIRES: Topanga is very dry and fire’s are easily started…. NO OUTDOOR FIRES ARE ALLOWED ….
13. FIRE PIT IN THE TEEPEE… Behind the stairs under the right hand side of the deck you will find a space for a 5 gallon propane tank. Turn on the gas from here before turing the key on in the TeePee. You will hear the gas flowing when you turn the key and will need to light the gas with a flame … DO NOT PUT FIREWOOD ON TOP OF THE GLASS… the pit is for use with propane only. I will provide a couple of tanks for your use. If you use more than that please either leave $25/tank for the ones you have emptied or you can go refill them. There are a number of gas stations down in the valley that refill tanks… i can let you know where if you would like.
My boyfriend and I stayed here during a birthday weekend get away and we had an amazing time. Karen is extremely accommodating, welcoming and friendly. We were greeted by her and her adorable dog and she gave us several tips and pointers about the area (it was our first time here). The energy of the place is serene and peaceful- we would have been content hanging out at the studio the entire weekend had we not wanted to explore the area. The place was clean, comfortable and very well designed. The bed was tucked away in a little nook and was also very comfortable. Karen had an amazing collection of books in addition to an awesome TV with several channels (we spent way more time browsing all the books). The Tipi with the fireplace is awesome! We stayed in one night with a bottle of wine and relaxed by the fire.
I ended up leaving my jacket behind and Karen was kind enough to ship it back to me. I would definitely recommend this place in a heart beat. If I come back to Topanga Canyon, I would definitely stay here again!
Pros: the cool teepee! And the lovely trees on the property were a nice escape. Comfy bed. Kitchen with all the amenities.
Cons: the apartment was pretty dark, so it felt more claustrophobic at night. Also, it's right under the main house, so any noise from parties came right through.
We absolutely loved Karen's apartment in Topanga. The space is tastefully designed with interesting features and her own work. The grounds are beautiful, a green oasis up in the hills. We met Karen and her amazing dog briefly, both of them gave us a warm welcome. We just wish we'd had longer to enjoy the tranquility.
We stayed at Karen’s little getaway in mid-March. From the first pictures, we could tell that this little unique getaway had some flare about it, but we didn’t realize how great it would actually be.
When we arrived, we came onto a lot with plenty of land and an assortment of decorations hanging from trees. As we approached, we were greeted by a big Marmaduke-looking Great Dane who walked up barking. We were cautious at first, but soon realized that it was his way of saying, “Hello! I’m so glad you’re here and I can’t wait to make you my new best friend! Oh, and watch me ruuuunnnn!” I must honestly say that Puppy Caballo (his fitting name) was one of my favorite parts of our time there. When we climbed the hill in the back, he was like our little guide, running ahead to show us the trail.
So close to Los Angeles, but yet it was secluded enough that I could have been convinced that I was actually kidnapped and taken to the middle of Utah. It really is a wonderful escape, especially if you like your escapes with full-on epic teepees. This dwelling was no small tent, I mean it was impressive. To add to it, it had a gas-lit fire pit in the middle which added to an amazing ambiance in the middle of the night when you’re getting sleepy on pillows in the teepee.
We also loved the area. There was hiking just 5 minutes away at Red Rock. The land was beautiful and the rocks had plenty of grip, so we climbed until we found an epic viewpoint. The surrounding town was also amazing. It’s like Venice Beach nestled away in the hills, complete all of the quirks but not as much woo woo. Some of the shops are like circus sideshows and tons of fun to check out.
But the icing on the cake was truly Karen. She was really warm and helpful when we arrived, greeting us like friends she hadn’t seen in a while. After we left, we asked her if we’d left a little travel pillow there. She said yes. And even though we planned to come pick it up, she mailed the pillow back to us. We tried to pay her for the postage, but she was having none of it. It’s the little things that make the big impressions, and we’ve got a place in our hearts for this little gem.
Karen was a wonderful host- she greeted us and remained nearby if we had any questions or concerns.The listing is exactly how it appears online: quaint and beautiful. The neighborhood is quiet and cozy, only thirty minutes from the beach and walking distance from a few hikes. We had a great two-night stay.
This host has 44 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Karen
I have lived and traveled in quite a few worlds… lived in Madrid and NYC, on a boat in Alaska, Santiago for a short bit, all over LA, and have visited many more. My daughter, Ezra, our great dane Puppy Caballo and I much enjoy having people come and share the land with us. Topanga is incredibly special place… a unique bohemian enclave you won't find anywhere else in Los Angeles, possibly the world over. A nice mixture of hippy and now yippy, outbackers, healers, artists, even some survivalists. You can be a hermit or involve yourself in the art, music, restaurants and events happening all about town. As for us, we are social creatures who are here if you need us but are just as happy to allow you to enjoy the property and surrounding land in peace.
Ezra goes to school and I design and build fabulous, functional pieces from metal and wood (many of the architectural elements you'll find around my house were built my me). My business partner and I work out of our shop about 1/2 mile from the house where we build metal and wood works by hand.