Sleep under massive oaks and enjoy the native of landscape Topanga Canyon. Hike up Red Rock Cyn or hit the beaches. Then return to nap on the floating bed. At night, warm up around the fire pit in the teepee while lounging on a giant circular couch.
20' TeePee on a 700sq foot deck up in the backyard ... more pictures interior with couch and fire pit further on
On a 4 acre property, nestled amongst 250 year old oaks, beside a seasonal creek, sits this wonderful apartment. Attached to a larger home, but with it's own separate entrance, one enters first into a large open kitchen with high vaulted ceilings. Large custom steel windows on most every wall bring the outdoors in. And the surrounding landscape is full of life. . . one shouldn't be surprised to encounter rabbit deer squirrels frogs hawks woodpeckers owls bluejays hummingbirds raccoons coyotes bobcats and even a company of parrots who frequent the nearby trees. Out behind the house is a 20 foot teepee built upon a 700 square foot wood deck with a huge built in wrap around couch and a drop in fire pit to keep you warm. Or, enjoy the large wood deck overlooking the seasonal creek, the massive picnic table out back or crawl up into the hills and enjoy the local trails or some of the 10,000 acres of nearby parkland all about Topanga Canyon. You'll also find a 7 x 14 foot trampoline, large floating daybed, even a circus hoop about the property. Landscape lighting and strings of commercial lights make for wonderful nighttime gatherings.
If you have never experienced radiant heated floors, you are in for a treat. . . hand finished heated concrete floors throughout ensure that you will always be the perfect temperature. The new queen size bed is a serta gel foam mattress... wonderful to sleep on. The kitchen is stocked with a new set of cuisinart all clad stainless pots and pans and plenty of basics to get you started with any meal. You'll find a nice array of spices, sugar, flour etc. Pick up fresh veggies and such at our local farmers market on Fridays (just 2 miles away) or a more robust market on Saturdays in nearby Calabasas.
On a more practical level there's a new washer and dryer under the main house at your disposal. In the living room there's a large flat screen TV if you desire to watch the tube, make use of the high speed internet service everywhere, or play music through the available Sonos system. Cell phones don't work in many areas of the canyon, including this one, but there's a dedicated phone line for your use.
PHOTOGRAPHY AND FILM: with the exception of OBVIOUS personal family and friend snap shots one might take while on vacation, there is to be NO filming or photography shot on the grounds without prior asking. Photo and Film Shoots are priced differently and a deal must be worked out with the owner beforehand. Please write with questions.
Everything on the property...
Interaction with Guests
As much or as little as they like. Unless I am out of town, I am usually close by and make myself available to them if needed.
Nope.... definitely want to have a car up here.
1.Cell phones often do not work up here... There is a dedicated phone line provided with the rental. Calls are not to be made outside the country unless made with a prepaid calling card.
2.Septic: please DO NOT flush anything but toilet paper down the toilets. Our septic system can only accept toilet paper. Unclogging the lines is unpleasant at the very least and you won't enjoy not having use of the toilet/s if this happens. ALSO please do not wash grease down the sinks. Wipe pans with paper towels and throw into the trash before washing very greasy pans.
3. PETS are permitted only with prior approval and a Pet Addendum must be completed... there is also an extra cleaning fee of $100 for pets
4. Housekeeping: There is mandatory weekly house keeping service included in the rate.
5. Keep the property and all furnishings in good order.
6. People other than those in the Guest party may not stay overnight in the property unless something has been worked out beforehand with owner. Any other person in the property is the sole responsibility of Guest.
7. The owners are not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that occurs while on the premises. The Homeowners are not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the guest. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premise.
8. Smoking is allowed outside only.
9. I will gladly cover the Utilities costs as long as they are kept in check. I will provide one tank of propane for the summer months... i never use that much. If another is needed you will be held responsible for the cost of it.
10. NO FILMING OR PHOTOGRAPHY is allowed on the property except for the VER OBVIOUS PERSONAL use of the people staying here.
11. FIREPLACE … There is a chain just inside the fireplace on the left hand side… use it to open the damper up top. It only needs to be opened halfway. If you do not open it the house will fill with smoke. After your fire has gone out, please pull the damper back into the closed position. There is wood outside if you desire to make a fire. YOU MUST USE FIRE SCREEN while burning a fire… ashes fly out all the time and have burned holes in the floor before.
12. OUTDOOR FIRES: Topanga is very dry and fire’s are easily started…. NO OUTDOOR FIRES ARE ALLOWED ….
13. FIRE PIT IN THE TEEPEE… Behind the stairs under the right hand side of the deck you will find a space for a 5 gallon propane tank. Turn on the gas from here before turing the key on in the TeePee. You will hear the gas flowing when you turn the key and will need to light the gas with a flame … DO NOT PUT FIREWOOD ON TOP OF THE GLASS… the pit is for use with propane only. I will provide a couple of tanks for your use. If you use more than that please either leave $25/tank for the ones you have emptied or you can go refill them. There are a number of gas stations down in the valley that refill tanks… i can let you know where if you would like.
We absolutely loved Karen's apartment in Topanga. The space is tastefully designed with interesting features and her own work. The grounds are beautiful, a green oasis up in the hills. We met Karen and her amazing dog briefly, both of them gave us a warm welcome. We just wish we'd had longer to enjoy the tranquility.
Karen was fast and easy to deal with. Her place is super cool and in a great part of Topanga. Very quite at night and the grounds are camp like and fun.
Karen was a wonderful host- she greeted us and remained nearby if we had any questions or concerns.The listing is exactly how it appears online: quaint and beautiful. The neighborhood is quiet and cozy, only thirty minutes from the beach and walking distance from a few hikes. We had a great two-night stay.
Karen's Topanga cabin is amazing! I stayed there with my girlfriend for a few nights. Very peaceful, private, and furnished nicely. Karen was receptive and helpful. We are definitely staying here again. The backyard is magical
Excellent communication with Kelly. Place was so cool and unique. Had everything we needed. Great experience and super fun property. Loved the teepee
Karen was a great host. She was responsive when we had general questions or needed help with the TV. Since we were not familiar with the area, she provided a couple recommendations for local restaurants. Her home is only about 1 mile drive to the bottom of the Red Rock Canyon which was a nice hike w/beautiful panoramic views of the Santa Monica mountains. Our favorite part of our stay was using the teepee! Thank you for having us!
We enjoyed our stay on Karen's property. The apartment was spacious and stocked with everything we needed! Due to some recent rains the teepee was a bit soggy so we didn't test out the fire pit out but Karen was a great host and super considerate. We loved the large modern spa style shower!!
This host has 41 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
I have lived and traveled in quite a few worlds… lived in Madrid and NYC, on a boat in Alaska, Santiago for a short bit, all over LA, and have visited many more. My daughter, Ezra, our great dane Puppy Caballo and I much enjoy having people come and share the land with us. Topanga is incredibly special place… a unique bohemian enclave you won't find anywhere else in Los Angeles, possibly the world over. A nice mixture of hippy and now yippy, outbackers, healers, artists, even some survivalists. You can be a hermit or involve yourself in the art, music, restaurants and events happening all about town. As for us, we are social creatures who are here if you need us but are just as happy to allow you to enjoy the property and surrounding land in peace.
Ezra goes to school and I design and build fabulous, functional pieces from metal and wood (many of the architectural elements you'll find around my house were built my me). My business partner and I work out of our shop about 1/2 mile from the house where we build metal and wood works by hand.