About This Listing
A Charming apartment located in historic Congress Park, cozy private bedroom ideal for couples and savvy travelers, complete kitchen, hardwood floors, eclectic style, easy parking, centrally located within walking distance to many Denver attractions.
**Standard summer rate of $72/night $78 weekends includes your private room plus shared bathroom, kitchen and living areas**
**Entire apartment may be available for your privacy at an additional charge—message me to inquire**
My home is a sanctuary in the heart of the city—a perfect place to relax, reflect and rejuvenate during your visit to Denver and the Rockies. It’s a 2-bedroom apartment centrally located and within walking distance to restaurants, coffee shops, museums, parks, music venues, bars, yoga classes, bookshops, farmers market, and more. It’s 15 minutes to Downtown and the Colorado Convention Center. Free on-street parking is a breeze. Multiple public transportation options, including bike share stations, are just around the corner.
The historic Congress Park neighborhood is a vibrant mix of urban culture and architectural variety. The building, which dates back to 1945, is clean and secure. My 750sf apartment is tucked into the northeast corner of the building and gets brilliant sunlight. Once inside, it greets you with tons of original character, including original hardwood floors and casement windows, original mosaic tile and details in the bathroom, charming mid-century kitchen, plaster walls and arches, and more. The decor is minimal by design and charming. There IS space for your morning yoga practice, a comfortable place to lounge and visit, a vintage backgammon board, a small eclectic library of books, movie DVD’s and music CD’s to play on your laptop. There is NOT a TV or a microwave, though I do have reliable WiFi. Your private bedroom has a comfy queen bed with pillow top, a dresser and closet for your use—ideal for couples and savvy solo female travelers. The shared mid-century bathroom is in pristine condition. I provide fresh linens and towels, as well as bath gels for your convenience. The kitchen is stocked with everything you will need to prepare and share meals or enjoy your morning coffee and tea. I maintain a shoe-free environment, so kick them off and linger a while. Please make yourselves at home and nurture you!
This is my residence. However, due to the nature of my work, I am rarely home. After our initial meet-and-greet, it’s likely you’ll rarely see me. If you’re interested in reserving the entire apartment for the duration of your stay, this can be an option for an additional charge and will depend on your dates and the situation. Please send me a message with your request, and I will be happy to discuss the possibility. **Be sure to have a fully completed profile, including a good photo of yourself, before inquiring.**
Parking is available on the street. You can usually find a spot on Fillmore or 14th during the day and early evening. When arriving late in the evening or returning late at night, you may have to park on Milwaukee or otherwise a block away. The neighborhood is safe, I recommend you be alert and aware of your surroundings. Do not leave valuables in your car in plain sight. These should go without saying in any city.
If you are a savvy, independent traveler who respects and appreciates an affordable, clean, simple and eclectic ambiance in the heart of it all, I welcome you! Please stay and experience Denver from your home base in my delight-filled urban dwelling. It would be my pleasure to host you!
The following are quirks about my home that could be viewed as drawbacks. Consider your completed reservation an acceptance of these quirks, characteristics and conditions…
• I only consider guests with completed profiles, good reviews and/or references, and at least one clear full-face photo. Imagine what you would request from a complete stranger with whom you would potentially share your home for several nights.
• The original casement windows add ambiance as well as the sounds of the city. You will hear the traffic on 13th Ave outside your bedroom window, and the occasional neighbor next door or across the street.
• Some of the 1945-era operable windows are fragile and are to remain closed.
• Cell phone reception while in the apartment varies. Some carriers are more reliable than others.
• The water temperature can fluctuate and can get very hot in both the shower and the kitchen. Be prepared to adjust the temperature while showering. Water pressure is generally good.
• I do not have a TV or Microwave in my home. I am a “slow foodie”. I use my gas stove/oven for reheating food in addition to preparing meals, and I use my time to create and connect rather than sit and watch television.
• Smoking is not allowed in or around the building. Do not smoke at entrances or near apartment windows. It’s a lovely neighborhood. Take yourself for a smoke walk.
• During summer months, the building utilizes a swamp cooling system. Cool air is drawn from the building corridor through a small door inside the kitchen cabinet. It works beautifully and keeps the temperature comfortable. It can get a little warm on very hot days, so there is a fan available to help circulate the air. I stay comfortable. Those who prefer predictably arctic conditions should look elsewhere during summer months and return to stay with me during the milder, delightful Denver autumn.
You will have a private room with a queen bed, dresser and closet. You will have shared use of the bathroom, living area, cozy dining nook, and kitchen including all the dishes and accoutrements, refrigerator and gas stove.
Interaction with Guests
I have a varying schedule with a diversity of activities—dog walking, house management, overnight house/pet sitting, events, buying and merchandising for yoga studios, social activities, etc. I am often not home. Other times I work from home and will be in and out. When time permits, I enjoy getting to know my guests over tea at a café, on a pleasant walk, or over dinner, perhaps at the Ethiopian restaurant around the corner. I’m also happy to greet you and give you the room to roam on your own.
Congress Park neighborhood is an eclectic mix of urban delight! You can take long or short walks admiring the historic Victorian bungalows and Arts and Crafts homes, gardens, and parks. There are quaint pockets of older retail areas with cafes, flower shops, and salons. Just 1 block away on Colfax you’ll find a varied mix of coffee shops, restaurants, bars, music venues, yoga studios, cycling classes, SIE Film Center, Twist & Shout Records, and The Tattered Cover—a large locally-owned bookstore in a converted movie theater. You’ll also find tattoo parlors, photo-worthy graffiti walls, and plenty of gritty urban characters. Be smart, aware, and confident, and you’ll be safe. You are just 3 blocks away from beautiful City Park with ponds and trails, the Denver Zoo, the Museum of Nature and Science, and the free Sunday “Jazz in the Park” concerts during summer months. Walk to the Esplanade Farmers Market on Sunday mornings June-October (E Colfax and Columbine St). It’s a wonderful neighborhood where just about anyone can find something to love.
PARKING is available on the street. You can usually find a spot on Fillmore or 14th during the day and early evening. When arriving late in the evening or returning late at night, you may have to park on Milwaukee or otherwise a block away. The neighborhood is safe as long as you’re alert and aware of your surroundings. Do not leave valuables in your car in plain sight. These should go without saying in any city.
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION options nearby, courtesy RTD-Denver:
• Line #15 on Colfax (1 block) – Downtown, Convention Center, State Capitol, DAM, Anschutz Medical
• Line #10 on 12th Ave (2-3 blocks) – Union Station, Downtown, Coors Field, DAM
• Line #15L on Colfax (6 blocks) – Downtown, Convention Ctr, Capitol, Auraria Campus, Mile High Stadium, Anschutz Medical
• Line #24 on Josephine/York/University (6 blocks) – Cherry Creek Shopping Ctr, Old South Gaylord, Univ of Denver
BIKE SHARE: Denver B-Cycle bike stations are within 2 blocks—$8 for 24hr pass, $20 for 1wk pass—purchase online or at any B-Cycle station. Stations are scattered throughout Denver and Boulder for convenient pick up and drop off. It's a fun, convenient, affordable way to explore the city!
HOURLY CAR RENTAL: Car2Go and ZipCar (you will need to join these services online, well in advance of your trip)
Other Things to Note
-Radiated heat during the cooler months keeps the apartment comfortable and cozy-you can personally control the temperature in your room.
-During the heat of summer the apartment is cooled via swamp cooler. Each room has a fan.
--Coffee, tea, sugar and milk are always available for you to help yourself and be my guest.
--The kitchen is at your disposal-my only request is that you please clean up after yourself. Thank you!
--Shampoo and bath gel are provided, as well as a blow dryer located in the guest room.
--Books & Backgammon: I have an eclectic collection of books-from the arts to science. Enjoy!
RENTAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
– First and foremost, make yourself at home. Unwind…breathe…enjoy!
– COMMUNICATE CLEARLY AND PROMPTLY and make any special requests in advance. I do my best to be flexible, and if I am able, I will accommodate your travel schedule or other special needs within reason.
– ARRIVAL & DEPARTURE TIMES: Check-in 3:00pm / Check-out 10:00am
The apartment will be available for check in by 3PM on the date of your arrival. On the date of your departure the apartment will need to be available by 10 AM to allow for cleaning and preparation for guests arriving that afternoon. PLEASE CALL ME AT LEAST ONE DAY PRIOR TO YOUR ARRIVAL DATE to coordinate a convenient time to meet for check in. Please keep me informed of any changes in your arrival time, whether it be early or delayed arrival, so that I may assist you and/or adjust my schedule accordingly.
– KEYS: There is ONLY ONE KEY for the building entry doors, which I cannot duplicate. Please do NOT lose it. You will be assessed a $50 charge if the key is lost, or if you make your way home with it. I will be happy to refund that charge once you’ve returned the key to me, less any expenses I incur due to its absence.
– REMOVE SHOES: I maintain a shoeless environment to keep down on the noise level and to leave the Colorado dust outside.
– PROPERTY CARE: This is my sanctuary, and I invite you to make yourselves at home! Please be mindful and tread lightly, return things as you found them, and leave no trace except for well wishes and a few words in the guest book for me or future guests.
– NO SMOKING: “No Smoking” signs are posted by management in the back gated area and at the front of the building. Smoking of any kind is not permitted inside my apartment. Do not smoke outside at building entrances or near apartment windows. It’s a lovely neighborhood. Take yourself for a smoke walk.
– NO PETS: Pets are not allowed in the building.
– WIFI / PHONE: The apartment has WiFi. There are also several coffee shops with free WiFi just one block away. A landline is not provided. Cell phone reception inside the apartment varies. Some carriers are better than others.
– NOISE: The building, its walls, floors and windows are almost 70 years old. Building occupants are generally respectful of their neighbors and keep their noise levels to a minimum. They are also patient with each other on the occasion that they live a little more loudly than usual. I request that you be mindful of the noise you generate and be respectful of my neighbors.
– WINDOWS: Please take care when opening and closing any of the 1945-era operable windows with the crank handle. Several of them are fragile and are to remain closed. Being an Urban Dwelling, I ask that you close the windows when you are leaving the apartment for any extended time period. Colorado weather can change without notice, and it’s never a good idea to give nefarious types any invitation.
– LOCKED & PRIVATE AREAS: These are off-limits—please do NOT enter! This includes my bedroom and the hallway closet. You will be charged for damage caused by forced entry to locked areas and/or for missing items. If you need something you do not see, or if you have requests for items I promise in my listing that I may have forgotten to provide, please inquire with me. I am available for your questions.
– REQUESTS & SUGGESTIONS: I’m open to reasonable suggestions for amenities to be added to guest offerings. Please keep in mind that the nightly rate is commensurate with what I offer. Additional amenities may require me to raise my prices.
– REPAIRS & ACCIDENTS: If there are issues with a malfunctioning appliance or utility outage, please do NOT attempt to repair yourself. Contact me immediately so I can arrange for the proper maintenance and repairs as quickly as possible. As for accidents, they happen. Please let me know—I can handle the truth! These are rarely a big issued if I know about them. If I have not been notified of broken or missing items by the time of your departure, I will hold you responsible for the cost of their replacement or repair.
– LOST, STOLEN OR FORGOTTEN ARTICLES: I regret that I cannot accept responsibility for your lost, stolen or forgotten items. If you leave something at the apartment, I am happy to work with you and a major shipping company, which you have taken the time and care to coordinate. You will be responsible for any charges associated with returning your forgotten items. In matters concerning lost or stolen items, it is your responsibility to work with the proper authorities when necessary.
Mignon was a wonderful host and her place was very welcoming, clean, and relaxing. It was just like how she described it. It was also very easy access to downtown. We had no trouble finding anything nearby. My friend and I are thankful to have Mignon's place to stay for our trip. It certainly made our trip easier.
Mignon was welcoming and friendly. The room was comfortable and conveniently located in Denver.
Mignon was a great host throughout our stay, helpful and respectful. Her space was welcoming, comfortable and allowed us a place to rest and recharge. Great experience staying with Mignon, thank you again!
Mignon was great, very kind and welcoming. The accommodations were as described and the neighborhood very lovely.
Mignon is great host.
The description of the accommodation was, if anything, understated. The property is very comfortable and safe, and we immediately felt completely at home. Our host was solicitous and caring. We couldn't have asked for anything better. This stay was a real pleasure.
Mignon made us feel right at home in her beautiful apartment! Even though we are early birds and our host is a self-describe night owl, it worked out fine. In fact we only saw her twice during our four night stay, and never once heard her come in. Colfax has so many great places to eat within walking distance; had we not been so stuffed from eating out we may have taken Mignon up on her offer of homemade chicken soup which smelled fantastic! We loved being only a block away from my son whom we were visiting. Even though the steam radiators kick out a ton of heat, we kept the windows open and were very comfortable at night. Sure there is some traffic noise, but hey--it's the city! It made me feel like I was back in college visiting my cool friends who lived in cool vintage apartments in Chicago. Except this was squeaky clean, and we could always find a parking spot on Filmore within a few spaces of the front door! We spent most of our time out and about, but really enjoyed having a sunny place to enjoy morning coffee, a comfortable bed, and an atmosphere that was just as described: Inspired and Urban!
About the Host, Mignon
I am an urban dweller, mountain lover, deep sea diver, art admirer, life explorer.
When I am not walking pooches or shopping for a yoga studio you might find me passing the keys to guests who are staying in Denver at an Airbnb rental.
I am a concierge for good people, amazing places and fine things.
Originally from southern California, I grew up traveling with my family and got the bug. I've sailed all over the Caribbean, camped my way through the Pacific northwest, crossed the pond, but there is so much more to explore.
I have been in Denver for many years now. Professionally, I wear many hats under an umbrella of concierge services I offer including house sitting/property management, personal organizer and I am so excited to be the buyer and merchandiser for Samadhi Center for Yoga & Meditation. I use to work with production for local music events. I am extremely passionate about bees and have 2 hives sitting in a clover field in south Denver. Living in one of the countries most beautiful states, I take advantage of my back yard by hiking, camping and snow shoeing. In town, I venture out to galleries, museums, concerts and supporting independent shops and restaurants. The people in Denver are notoriously friendly, I have met such amazing folks here that it makes it difficult to leave.
The apartment is a sanctuary in the city with an easy charm. A lovely place to regroup and rejuvenate. I am delighted to offer savvy travelers accommodations at a reasonable price-and I hope it lends for more room to explore what the city may have in store.
Please feel free to call with any questions.
Happy Travels! Namaste.
Oh so good and right around the corner.East Colfax Avenue Denver CO 80206
I like this coffee shop for the outside and inside seating. Its a good place to jump online with a nice cappuccino.Clayton Street Denver CO 80206
A coffee shop and internet cafe.East Colfax Avenue Denver CO 80206
A nice neighborhood restaurant serving simple Italian fare. A small bar, outside and rooftop seating including Sunday brunch with bottomless mimosas.East 12th Avenue Denver CO 80206
Catch a movie at the home of the Denver Film Society. The best independent, foreign, documentary and repertory films.East Colfax Avenue Denver CO 80206
One of the largest independent book stores in the US. I love stopping in for a latte, there are so many nooks with great seating where I can jump on line or browse a book or magazine.East Colfax Avenue Denver CO 80206
For the Indie Music lovers...be sure and take a look at whose playing...you might catch a great show in this intimate theater.East Colfax Avenue Denver CO 80206
My new favorite cafe! Coffee, wine, beer and light snacks are offered in an eclectic array w/ modern decor. A little pricey but well done.East Colfax Avenue Denver CO 80206
If you need a card or would like a lovely souvenir. It is my favorite gift shop in town with everything from candles to books and birdcages. An eclectic mix of unusual items-you will want everythingMadison Street Denver CO 80206
For a super tasty burger and great walk through the neighborhood-definitely check it out and then stop at Glaze for a baum cake, a delightful baked treat.Madison Street Denver CO 80206
Delicious street tacos, the place is so tasty that you will nearly always find it pretty packed, but squeeze in its worth it.York Street Denver CO 80206
Amazing cake and interesting baked delights!Madison St Denver CO 80206
A sweet and cooling treat-take a walk over to liks and try a scoop or two. Cheesman is my flavor of the week.East 13th Avenue Denver CO 80206
You can walk over and drop in on a class and there is a nice variety of classes offered.East Colfax Avenue Denver CO 80206
I love the view of downtown Denver from the lake. I have heard lions roaring, elephants trumpeting and wolves howling while taking a walk in the park.Denver CO
Stop and smell the herbs. The tropical conservatory is a humidity break from the dry Denver air. There is a Denver Bike Sharing station in front of the gardens.Denver Colorado
I use to volunteer at the zoo. I love animals! There are 2 baby lion cubs which just arrived in January. There is also a new elephant exhibit that is not to be missed.Steele Street Denver CO 80205-4899
I have had great music moments at this venue; Amon Tobin, Jimmy Cliff, Esperanza Spalding. Priceless. Always worth checking to see whose playing while your in town.East Colfax Avenue Denver CO 80206
I love this large collection of his collection. Denver is lucky to have it.Bannock Street Denver CO 80204