About this listing
Romantic, Family friendly, Historically unique, Magical atmosphere, 360 degree views of the countryside and Florence. Convenient location: perfect for honeymoon/anniversary, family trips, friends traveling together, Chianti and Tuscany explorations.
This 12th tower apartment is the "hat" of a small castle in the hills south east of Florence, Italy.
Just renovated! Totally private, includes living room with 2 single sofa beds, kitchenette, a large bathroom with bathtub and separate shower.
Can include 1 or 2 bedrooms, depending on your needs: the main one with queen size bed, right in the top of the tower (very romantic!) ; the other (optional) with 2 single beds that can be joined into a double.
And the tower terrace, of course, with its 360 degree view!
There are stairs and more stairs to get to the tower apartment, but that is what makes it so private, romantic and panoramic.
There is WIFI, and books in English too.
As mentioned on some of the reviews, this place is also child friendly: toys, books, safe private gardens, a magical tower, friendly cats (OPTIONAL!), babysitter available on the premises.
Also special CHILD FRIENDLY COOKING CLASS available. (See "additional offers" further below).
The estate includes one shaded and one sunny garden, and a small olive grove shared with the other families in the building.
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY
The tower portion dates back to 1146. The rest of the building was added on in the 1400s , 1600s and 1800s. Many lives were saved during WWII by my grandfather who risked his own, by offering hiding and shelter to total strangers in this villa. We want to continue this tradition by welcoming people from all over the world. Our children are the 6th generation in this home.
We live in the building, right at your doorstep! You have all the privacy (the tower apartment is all for you, with private entrance, bathroom and kitchen etc) but we are a knock away if you need help, wish to borrow some food or kitchen utensils, or are simply in the mood to share a glass of wine or cup of tea or coffee with us, and hear the history of this place.
We may be on vacation a few weeks in the summer, or a week end here and there. When so, our cousins who lives on the premises will make sure you have assistance in case of need.
WIFI, free parking, BBQ in the common garden, cooking class available, village with food supplies out the driveway. Use of washing machine and dryer (with assistance, and at 2€ per load including detergent and softener).
This villa is ideal if you play the piano and wish to practice during your vacation: there is a baby Grand Piano in the common area, accessible at all times.
ADDITIONAL OFFERS AT THE TOWER:
1) Take a fun hands-on COOKING LESSON where you learn how to make pasta from scratch.
Time is flexible, we like to adjust to your schedule when possible.
That comes in 2 options:
A) take a hands-on class and walk upstairs to your own private kitchenette with your freshly made pastas, as well as 1 freshly made sauce to dress them with. Make your own dinner with your hand-made creations!
Credit cards accepted.
55€, for 2 people. 25€ for every additional person. 5€ discount for cash payments.
B) take the 2–hour class, and walk to your tower dining room with all of the above, plus wine, bruschetta, frittata or quiche and home-made dessert.
45€ per person. 5€ discount for cash payments.
C) - All of the above, consumed here on the premises (downstairs from the tower, same building. You can come in your slippers if you'd like!). The bonus: beautiful views, unlimited toppings of wine, and coffee. And you don't have to do the dishes! Cost per person: 55€. 5€ discount for cash payments.
Interaction with Guests
Access to all private grounds: the sunny side garden, the shaded garden under the century-old holm oaks and the olive groves.
Numerous hikes start from our village, and a little forest is accessible without even leaving the property.
Also shared BBQ, picnic area and swing.
If you play the piano and wish to practice during your vacation: there is a Baby Grand Steinway Piano made in the '30s, in the common area, accessible at all times.
Local deli, freshly baked bread, cheeses, wine and beer shop, veggie stand, great cappuccino and top butcher of the valley all right across the street, 5 minutes walk.
NO RESTAURANT WALKING DISTANCE, but you can buy all the food you need to make your own meals, and the local butcher also offers lasagne and grilled chicken to eat there or tale home.
Very nice family style trattoria only 5 minutes driving from home, and a warm dish of pasta in the village community centre.
- OUR VILLA IS NOT ON THE HIGHWAY AS IT APPEARS ON THE MAP!The tower is the top of the villa which sits on top of the hills on top of the village...Great views and breeze, but only 5 minutes walk from the little shops, (veggies, meats, freshly baked breads, cappuccino, and a rotisserie which also serves meals etc), the local bars, and even a great wine and beer shop. Plenty of hikes start from here.
20 minutes drive to Florence, or 45 minutes by bus.
Greve 40 minutes,
Prada outlet 25 minutes,
Arezzo 45 minutes,
Rome 3 hours.
Use of car not necessary if you are planning to just visit Florence during the day and simply relax and enjoy the countryside, but HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for evening outings and explorations of Tuscany. The bus runs on weekdays until around 8:00 pm; but only 2 rides in the whole day on Sundays and holidays! If in need, we can pick you up or drop you off for a small fee.
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE ONLY 2 BUS RIDES COMING AND LEAVING THE VILLAGE, ON SUNDAYS
Other Things to Note
- Standard check in time: after 4:00 pm, Standard check out time by 10:00 am. Both times are very flexible BUT PLEASE REQUEST IN ADVANCE if you'd like to arrive extra early, or leave later. We'd love to accommodate your needs compatibly with other guests.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE PRICE DOESN NOT INCLUDE MANDATORY TOURIST TAX OF 1,50€ PER PERSON PER NIGHT, due for stays MARCH 1ST-OCT 30TH, IN CASH. Please have correct amount in cash. We will issue you a receipt. Thank you for your understanding. (We have no saying nor gaining in this: we just serve as tax collectors).
- REVIEW instructions on how to get to your apartment and where to find the keys, so you are free to arrive anytime.
- REMEMBER there is no doorbell here at the villa, so carefully read the instructions you receive about how to get here and where to find your keys. We live in the building but will not know you have arrived unless you call/text.
- INFORM us of your ETA and ETD. Unless you do, we will expect you around 4-5 pm, and say goodbye about 10am
- PARK in the main garden for loading and unloading ONLY (parking available on the property, on a lower level)
- SMOKING allowed outside only
- please RECYCLE garbage by following the guide in the house
- DO, PLEASE DO READ OUR INFO BOOK WHEN YOU ARRIVE, AND PLEASE, ASK FOR ANYTHING YOU NEED! (sometimes we get forgetful...)