About This Listing
Located in a quiet, centrally-located, upscale neighborhood, the cottage is truly an ideal Upcountry retreat. With 2 bedrooms and a loft, it sleeps up to 6. Enjoy the gardens, tennis courts, sweeping views, and total privacy of the 7-acre property.
Wake to the sounds of birds in this spacious, light-filled, Kama'aina guest house situated within a small, upscale subdivision on a quiet cul-de-sac on a very private 7-acre property in Upcountry Maui.
Kept meticulously clean, 1,000 ft sq/93 m sq, recently fully renovated, includes 2 bedrooms (king and queen beds) + loft (queen futon bed frame) that will sleep 4-6 people.
From the lanai, you'll have a beautiful view to the ocean breaks of the North Shore. View the sunsets and moonsets, and beautiful, clear Maui night sky (typically one can see the Milky Way) from the cottage's professionally designed and manicured yard.
The cottage is at a perfect elevation; the temperature is usually in the 70's year round and the climate is ideal~~ not rainy & not too hot or dry. North Shore beaches are only 15 minutes away. Haleakala Summit is 45 min.
You are welcomed with fresh flowers & local, organic fruit, and often beer from the local brewery and/or Maui chocolates... Perfectly romantic for a couple, serene for a meditation or artist's retreat, but also spacious enough for a large family.
• Tastefully decorated and and impeccably clean. The cottage's traditional Maui Pole-House construction features spacious high-ceilings in the open living/kitchen/dining room with a cozy wood-burning fireplace. The new acacia wood floors give a soft warmth throughout. The art in the cottage features local artists.
• The fully equipped kitchen includes a new refrigerator, new oven/stove, new Bosch dishwasher, new Grohe faucet, new toaster oven, blender, tasteful dish ware, Henckels cutlery set, gourmet cookware, etc.
• Two beautifully renovated bedrooms, full bathroom and loft. Sheets are 100% cotton or bamboo.
• The master bedroom features a wooden four-poster queen bed with a brand-new, top-of-the-line Simmons mattress with organic wool pad, and a down comforter with 100% cotton designer comforter cover and sheets.
• The second bedroom has a California King bed set in a beautifully Hawaiian artisan-carved headboard, also with organic wool mattress pad, down comforter with 100% Italian cotton comforter cover (the same is used at The Four Seasons Maui) and 100% cotton sheets.
• More people can be accommodated in the loft on the queen-sized futon (thick) on a futon frame, also with down comforter and 100% cotton sheets.
• The impeccably clean bathroom features bath & shower with a new Grohe 5-setting shower head, luscious 100% cotton Japanese bath towels, new Restoration Hardware fixtures, hairdryer and complimentary skincare products, soaps, and shampoo/conditioner.
• A wrap-around balcony provides tranquil ocean views and a balinese daybed perfect for lounging/reading.
• Breakfast table and chairs for cafe al fresco and outdoor dining.
• New Webber Grill
• Completely private outdoor shower
• The professionally landscaped & maintained yard was intentionally planted with native trees and plants (Ohia, Koa, etc). There is a sweet, private breakfast/picnic spot under the wide pink plumeria tree in the backyard. Magical. There is even a papaya growing just over the balcony~ You can pick fruit from your kitchen door!
• Flower cutting, Organic Vegetable & Fruit picking (seasonal): Guests are welcome to the vegetables in our organic garden, which usually include cherry tomatoes, eggplants, squash, radishes, turnips, green beans, sweet peas, scallions/leeks, kale, swiss chard, cilantro, parsley, and gourmet mixed salad greens. Fruit trees include tangerine, lemon, lime, bananas, papaya, and avocado. Fresh flowers from the garden are typically in the rooms upon arrival, and you are welcome to pick more to your heart's content.
• Surrounding the cottage are seven acres of property to explore. And beyond that, we are blessed with ten acres of often accessible walking/easy hiking on beautiful Upcountry ranch land with spectacular 360 degree views.
Amenities & Extras…
• Beach accessories: towels, picnic blankets, cooler, sun umbrella, inner tubes, boogie boards and baby floats.
• Baby items upon request: Highchair, Pack-n-Play bassinet/play yard, Baby Bjorn bouncy seat.
• Tennis court: The main house is 400-500 feet from the cottage, where our tennis court is accessible to guests (racquets and tennis balls provided).
• Wireless Internet
• New DVD and flat-screen TV(no cable, but is Blue-Ray/Netflix compatible); DVD library
• Private washer and dryer; detergent provided
• Fireplace & wood. Ahhh... Come home from a day at the beach and roast marshmallows on the fire!
• Heaters and fans. There is no need for air conditioning; the house has great natural ventilation. There are screens on all windows and there is a ceiling fan. And there is usually no need for heating either except on occasional chilly mornings in winter.
• Your very own, 24-hr personal concierge. Call or text us anywhere, at any time of your stay. We'd be delighted to help you with directions to a secluded or baby-friendly beach, or restaurant recommendations. We are at your service!
• Excellent selection of complimentary guide books & island maps
• 24-hour secure neighborhood
• Plenty of parking
Location Location Location…
Experience Upcountry! But not too far "up".
We are really at an ideal elevation, in an ideal, central location, with great access to horse riding, hiking, zip lines, Haleakala National Park, Polipoli Spring State Recreational Area, Tedeschi Vineyards, 'Ulupalakua Ranch Store & Grill, Surfing Goat Dairy, Alii Kula Lavender Farm. And, we are still within 45 min. to great snorkeling, whale watching, and the best beaches.
• 3 minutes to the fantastic Saturday Upcountry Farmer's Market * 5 minutes to Pukalani for daily shopping (24-hour Foodland supermarket).
• 7 minutes to the historic town of Makawao's cute shops and NY-Times-reviewed Market Fresh Bistro, among several other dining options.
• Less than 20 minutes to the airport and the North Shore beaches of Spreckelsville and Paia.
• 20-25 min to Mama's Fish House and the world renown Ho'okipa Beach.
• 30-40 min. to Kihei/Wailea and the gorgeous South Side beaches.
• 45 min. to Haleakala Crater
Back at the cottage, after a gorgeous sunset, see the night sky full of stars, watch the moon set over the West Maui Mountains...
This is a great retreat for artists, musicians, yogis, or anyone seeking the tranquility and cooler climates of upcountry Maui. Very private and serene.
It is super-convenient for families with plenty of privacy and indoor & outdoor space to play and relax. We are close enough to the North and South side beaches that you could stay here your whole vacation and experience everything Maui has to offer.
We hope you'll take advantage of the excellent initial rates for this luxury guest cottage retreat and enjoy Maui Upcountry!
Guests have access to the entire 7 acre property (save for our personal residence), including organic garden, orchards and tennis courts.
(For safety, we ask that you use the trampoline without prior permission, and not without adult supervision. Thank you.)
Interaction with Guests
We like to welcome guests upon arrival and then give total privacy unless asked for assistance during your stay. On occasion we invite/ are invited by guests for tea which we always enjoy when our schedules permit.
We are located in a quiet, two-street (both of which end in cul-de-sacs), upscale neighborhood with no traffic save for the residents. Each property in the neighborhood is 2 acres or more, set off the street, and the entire neighborhood is surrounded by larger fields, woods, and pastures on three sides. Our 7-acre property is at the end of the street/cul-de-sac, so there is minimal traffic, and the feeling is very peaceful and serene. We are 5 minutes from the local Saturday morning Farmer's Market.
Though the nearest bus stop is a just a mile away, we recommend renting a car for the quickest and most convenient access to the island while on holiday.
Other Things to Note
Custom massage & spa treatments on site available upon request with Hale Ho'ola Haleakala Maui Bodyworks/ Massage and Spa Services.
• A strict no-smoking and drug-free environment.
• The cottage is in a quiet neighborhood, so an after 9:00 PM quiet zone is extended in respect for our neighbors.
• Thank you for removing your shoes before entering. This is a tradition in Hawaii that also helps keep things clean.
• This one is IMPORTANT: If you've been to the beach, please be sure to use the outdoor shower or the hose on the lanai to rinse off sand before entering. This helps protect the new wood floors (sand is *extremely* difficult to clean out).
Thank for observing this one!
• Another IMPORTANT one: Please help us keep the cottage bug-free. Thus far it has been kept impeccably:
* We ask that you not leave out any food.
* Please store food in the refrigerator or in air-tight, throughly sealed containers.
* Please clean up well after preparing food each time (i.e. leave no crumbs behind on counters or floor, and throw food waste in covered trash can or in sink disposer.)
• We'd love to greet you: upon confirmation, please send us your flight information and estimated time of arrival. Late arrivals are not a problem with prior arrangements.
Check in is 3:00 pm. Check out is 11:00 am.
We are happy to be flexible with check in and check out times whenever possible, so please don't hesitate to ask!
• Rate is for two people with a three-day minimum. Extra rates apply after second person.
Mahalo nui loa! We look forward to your stay at the cottage.
Priscilla & Tsune
We stayed a whole week in Priscilla's house.
The central location in Maui is perfect to visit the island.
The house is BEAUTIFUL, surrounded by a stunning garden.
It's also very comfy, and very clean.
The vibes are amazing there !
We will keep recommend this place to our friends and won't hesitate to come back if we get the chance to come back to Hawaii one day :)
Prescilla was absolutely an amazing host, very welcoming and respectful for our privacy. The house itself was beautiful, even better then it looks on the pictures, surrounded by tropical trees and fruits, birds singing and wonderful view. The neibourhood was very pieceful and we felt very safe.
The only problem we had with the house, that it was really hard to leave.
Thank you, Priscilla!
We had a lovely experience living in this house with my family for whole week! Surrounding by nice neighbors and had 100% privacy. I will recommend to my friends for next time visit!
It was a pleasure to stay at Priscilla & Tsune's cottage in upcountry Maui. The neighborhood is quiet, lush and beautiful. On the grounds we were able to harvest veggies and fruit to add to our table - talk about fresh!
Priscilla and her family are relaxed yet very efficient and thoughtful. They are fantastic hosts. We had a great time sharing stories and bread one afternoon.
We will definitely be back when Maui is our destination.
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! If you're considering staying on the lush green hills of upcountry Maui, this is where you want to be. The property is very quiet, except for the sweet bird songs, and covered in blooming flowers. This is a really lovely home on gorgeous property. My family was so happy here! The house is so immaculately clean I felt very comfortable letting my little baby crawl around on the floor. It had everything we needed and more, including beach towels, infant packnplay, and fresh organic fruit from the property! The front lanai is great for evenings outside. Beds were really comfortable! Priscilla was an exceptionally great host. An absolute pleasure to have spent our family holiday here!
Private, lush retreat with panoramic views. The host goes above and beyond. It was an incredible stay and we will miss it!
Priscilla and Tsune were warm and welcoming hosts. We had a wonderful time staying in the Upcountry cottage. The cottage was very clean, and we had everything we needed and then some. It is absolutely beautiful there--the pictures don't do it justice. It was very quiet, peaceful and private. We have visited Maui several times over the years, but this was the first time we stayed upcountry. We loved the location and hope to stay here again on a future trip.
About the Host, Priscilla
My husband Tsune and I, and our three children, finally made Maui our home four years ago after 15+ years of regular holidays and longer stays. Before coming to Maui we lived in Tokyo for almost 20 years, where we continue to have a home, family and work. We miss our international community there and hope that some of it will come to us, now that we can share this lovely guest cottage. We are looking forward to meeting, and having our children meet, diverse travelers from all walks of life, from all over the world. All ages, races, sexual orientations, religions and nationalities welcome.
You will find our lifestyle and hosting style a definite mix of Japan and Hawaii, from the decor and aesthetics in the cottage, to the standard of cleanliness and kinds of vegetables in the garden on offer. We have traveled extensively and in a wide variety of styles, from backpacking/biking/camping to five-star hotels. We speak fluent Japanese, and understand some German and French. Tsune and I have studied traditional Japanese zen, healing and aikido. Priscilla is a long-time practitioner of yoga and is the director of a children's music school in Tokyo.
Our family loves making art and music and dancing together. Our living room is full of an eclectic variety of musical instruments that we pick up and jam on throughout the day. And we all (well, except the baby) like to read and write poetry and stories. We love the beach, the mountains, our garden, and horse riding. We love raising our children in the rhythms of Maui's beauty and peace.
The most convenient place to shop for groceries nearby. Good prices. And, they have a decent "natural foods" section as well.
Nice place to go when you have the sudden urge for Italian but not enough energy to reach the higher-end establishments of South Maui. Live music on weekends.
This little store offers a surprising array of foods, liquor, and household products. Nice deli section, good coffee.
Our favorite restaurant on Maui! Fresh organic local ingredients combined with impeccable cooking. Every thursday evening is "Farm Dinner Night," highlighting a local farm.
One of Maui's best kept secrets? Kids will love hanging out with the kids:) Fresh goat milk offered on premise only is delicious, and so are their chocolate truffles! Great espresso drinks too.
Award-winning restaurant serving eclectic American food with Asian overtones.
Beautiful farm stand with breathtaking views of south Maui. Featuring fresh produce from Kula Country Farm. We go for the juicy strawberries. This is a wonderful place to bring children.
Offers a wonderfully educational farm tour with delicious luncheon. Highly recommended!
This very special lavender farm at the bottom of Poli Poli Forest is one of our favorite places to buy gifts for friends off-island. Try the lavender scones, lavender coffee, and lavender ice-cream!
The locals' choice for organic food shopping. Great selection of fruits and vegetables as well as all kinds of natural food products.
Legendary beach for wind/kite/all kinds of surfing. Waves can be strong but there are some more gentle spots along the beach as well.
At the end of Kealakai Pl in Spreckelsville is Baby Beach. Beautiful white sand. Protected lagoon. PERFECT for families w little children. Do go in the morning. The wind often blasts in afternoon.
Organic and natural foods. Most people agree it's a bit pricey, but still the selection is great and the atmosphere pleasant.
One of the best places in the world to see the sunrise.
Best traditional luau. If you have time for a luau, this is the one to attend.