About this listing
Located in a quiet, centrally-located, upscale neighborhood, the cottage is truly an ideal Upcountry retreat. With 2 bedrooms and a loft, it sleeps up to 6. Enjoy the gardens, tennis courts, sweeping views, and total privacy of the 7-acre property.
Wake to the sounds of birds in this spacious, light-filled, Kama'aina guest house situated within a small, upscale subdivision on a quiet cul-de-sac on a very private 7-acre property in Upcountry Maui.
Kept meticulously clean, 1,000 ft sq/93 m sq, recently fully renovated, includes 2 bedrooms (king and queen beds) + loft (queen futon bed frame) that will sleep 4-6 people.
From the lanai, you'll have a beautiful view to the ocean breaks of the North Shore. View the sunsets and moonsets, and beautiful, clear Maui night sky (typically one can see the Milky Way) from the cottage's professionally designed and manicured yard.
The cottage is at a perfect elevation; the temperature is usually in the 70's year round and the climate is ideal~~ not rainy & not too hot or dry. North Shore beaches are only 15 minutes away. Haleakala Summit is 45 min.
You are welcomed with fresh flowers & local, organic fruit, and often beer from the local brewery and/or Maui chocolates... Perfectly romantic for a couple, serene for a meditation or artist's retreat, but also spacious enough for a large family.
• Tastefully decorated and and impeccably clean. The cottage's traditional Maui Pole-House construction features spacious high-ceilings in the open living/kitchen/dining room with a cozy wood-burning fireplace. The new acacia wood floors give a soft warmth throughout. The art in the cottage features local artists.
• The fully equipped kitchen includes a new refrigerator, new oven/stove, new Bosch dishwasher, new Grohe faucet, new toaster oven, blender, tasteful dish ware, Henckels cutlery set, gourmet cookware, etc.
• Two beautifully renovated bedrooms, full bathroom and loft. Sheets are 100% cotton or bamboo.
• The master bedroom features a wooden four-poster queen bed with a brand-new, top-of-the-line Simmons mattress with organic wool pad, and a down comforter with 100% cotton designer comforter cover and sheets.
• The second bedroom has a California King bed set in a beautifully Hawaiian artisan-carved headboard, also with organic wool mattress pad, down comforter with 100% Italian cotton comforter cover (the same is used at The Four Seasons Maui) and 100% cotton sheets.
• More people can be accommodated in the loft on the queen-sized futon (thick) on a futon frame, also with down comforter and 100% cotton sheets.
• The impeccably clean bathroom features bath & shower with a new Grohe 5-setting shower head, luscious 100% cotton Japanese bath towels, new Restoration Hardware fixtures, hairdryer and complimentary skincare products, soaps, and shampoo/conditioner.
• A wrap-around balcony provides tranquil ocean views and a balinese daybed perfect for lounging/reading.
• Breakfast table and chairs for cafe al fresco and outdoor dining.
• New Webber Grill
• Completely private outdoor shower
• The professionally landscaped & maintained yard was intentionally planted with native trees and plants (Ohia, Koa, etc). There is a sweet, private breakfast/picnic spot under the wide pink plumeria tree in the backyard. Magical. There is even a papaya growing just over the balcony~ You can pick fruit from your kitchen door!
• Flower cutting, Organic Vegetable & Fruit picking (seasonal): Guests are welcome to the vegetables in our organic garden, which usually include cherry tomatoes, eggplants, squash, radishes, turnips, green beans, sweet peas, scallions/leeks, kale, swiss chard, cilantro, parsley, and gourmet mixed salad greens. Fruit trees include tangerine, lemon, lime, bananas, papaya, and avocado. Fresh flowers from the garden are typically in the rooms upon arrival, and you are welcome to pick more to your heart's content.
• Surrounding the cottage are seven acres of property to explore. And beyond that, we are blessed with ten acres of often accessible walking/easy hiking on beautiful Upcountry ranch land with spectacular 360 degree views.
Amenities & Extras…
• Beach accessories: towels, picnic blankets, cooler, sun umbrella, inner tubes, boogie boards and baby floats.
• Baby items upon request: Highchair, Pack-n-Play bassinet/play yard, Baby Bjorn bouncy seat.
• Tennis court: The main house is 400-500 feet from the cottage, where our tennis court is accessible to guests (racquets and tennis balls provided).
• Wireless Internet
• New DVD and flat-screen TV(no cable, but is Blue-Ray/Netflix compatible); DVD library
• Private washer and dryer; detergent provided
• Fireplace & wood. Ahhh... Come home from a day at the beach and roast marshmallows on the fire!
• Heaters and fans. There is no need for air conditioning; the house has great natural ventilation. There are screens on all windows and there is a ceiling fan. And there is usually no need for heating either except on occasional chilly mornings in winter.
• Your very own, 24-hr personal concierge. Call or text us anywhere, at any time of your stay. We'd be delighted to help you with directions to a secluded or baby-friendly beach, or restaurant recommendations. We are at your service!
• Excellent selection of complimentary guide books & island maps
• 24-hour secure neighborhood
• Plenty of parking
Location Location Location…
Experience Upcountry! But not too far "up".
We are really at an ideal elevation, in an ideal, central location, with great access to horse riding, hiking, zip lines, Haleakala National Park, Polipoli Spring State Recreational Area, Tedeschi Vineyards, 'Ulupalakua Ranch Store & Grill, Surfing Goat Dairy, Alii Kula Lavender Farm. And, we are still within 45 min. to great snorkeling, whale watching, and the best beaches.
• 3 minutes to the fantastic Saturday Upcountry Farmer's Market * 5 minutes to Pukalani for daily shopping (24-hour Foodland supermarket).
• 7 minutes to the historic town of Makawao's cute shops and NY-Times-reviewed Market Fresh Bistro, among several other dining options.
• Less than 20 minutes to the airport and the North Shore beaches of Spreckelsville and Paia.
• 20-25 min to Mama's Fish House and the world renown Ho'okipa Beach.
• 30-40 min. to Kihei/Wailea and the gorgeous South Side beaches.
• 45 min. to Haleakala Crater
Back at the cottage, after a gorgeous sunset, see the night sky full of stars, watch the moon set over the West Maui Mountains...
This is a great retreat for artists, musicians, yogis, or anyone seeking the tranquility and cooler climates of upcountry Maui. Very private and serene.
It is super-convenient for families with plenty of privacy and indoor & outdoor space to play and relax. We are close enough to the North and South side beaches that you could stay here your whole vacation and experience everything Maui has to offer.
We hope you'll take advantage of the excellent initial rates for this luxury guest cottage retreat and enjoy Maui Upcountry!
Guests have access to the entire 7 acre property (save for our personal residence), including organic garden, orchards and tennis courts.
(For safety, we ask that you use the trampoline without prior permission, and not without adult supervision. Thank you.)
Interaction with Guests
We like to welcome guests upon arrival and then give total privacy unless asked for assistance during your stay. On occasion we invite/ are invited by guests for tea which we always enjoy when our schedules permit.
We are located in a quiet, two-street (both of which end in cul-de-sacs), upscale neighborhood with no traffic save for the residents. Each property in the neighborhood is 2 acres or more, set off the street, and the entire neighborhood is surrounded by larger fields, woods, and pastures on three sides. Our 7-acre property is at the end of the street/cul-de-sac, so there is minimal traffic, and the feeling is very peaceful and serene. We are 5 minutes from the local Saturday morning Farmer's Market.
Though the nearest bus stop is a just a mile away, we recommend renting a car for the quickest and most convenient access to the island while on holiday.
Other Things to Note
Custom massage & spa treatments on site available upon request with Hale Ho'ola Haleakala Maui Bodyworks/ Massage and Spa Services.
• A strict no-smoking and drug-free environment.
• The cottage is in a quiet neighborhood, so an after 9:00 PM quiet zone is extended in respect for our neighbors.
• Thank you for removing your shoes before entering. This is a tradition in Hawaii that also helps keep things clean.
• This one is IMPORTANT: If you've been to the beach, please be sure to use the outdoor shower or the hose on the lanai to rinse off sand before entering. This helps protect the new wood floors (sand is *extremely* difficult to clean out).
Thank for observing this one!
• Another IMPORTANT one: Please help us keep the cottage bug-free. Thus far it has been kept impeccably:
* We ask that you not leave out any food.
* Please store food in the refrigerator or in air-tight, throughly sealed containers.
* Please clean up well after preparing food each time (i.e. leave no crumbs behind on counters or floor, and throw food waste in covered trash can or in sink disposer.)
• We'd love to greet you: upon confirmation, please send us your flight information and estimated time of arrival. Late arrivals are not a problem with prior arrangements.
Check in is 3:00 pm. Check out is 11:00 am.
We are happy to be flexible with check in and check out times whenever possible, so please don't hesitate to ask!
• Rate is for two people with a three-day minimum. Extra rates apply after second person.
Mahalo nui loa! We look forward to your stay at the cottage.
Priscilla & Tsune
My family just landed back home from a week long stay at Priscilla and Tsune's cottage. We had obviously seen pictures of the location when we booked but were totally unprepared for how wonderful it was! Everything was beautiful, the hosts were so responsive, caring, and made us feel like the property was ours during the stay. Favorite things: outdoor shower, gorgeous landscape including fresh fruit and garden, no more than 40 minutes from anything on the island, Longs drugstore close by for supplies, geckos, immaculate and well stocked comforts of home, beach gear available to use, BBQ for grilling, sweet outdoor cat, Ko'opali beach nearby to view sea turtles, and aloe plants growing onsite for the inevitable sunburn!
Thank you so much and we would recommend this home and stay to anyone and everyone.
Mahalo Priscilla and Tsune!
The Martin Family
We had a wonderful experience for a week at Priscilla and Tsune's cottage.
The neighborhood in an upscale area and is very quiet. The property is lush, large and private.
The hosts were out of town so we did not get to meet them, but they accommodated our needs well. Our point of contact on the property was the housekeeper who was very sweet and helped us with a couple of small issues when we checked in.
What a pleasure it was to spend two glorious weeks in this little slice of paradise! We arrived at the house and found a lovely arrangement of flowers along with a bowl of fruits and nuts picked from the property. The house was absolutely perfect in every way (well, to be honest, it would have been nice to have a second bathroom - but we enjoyed the outdoor shower with garden view!). The overall impression was serenity - simple elegance all around us. Everything was spotlessly clean, the beds were very comfortable and I really appreciated the high quality bedding. The kitchen was well-equipped with high-end fixtures and appliances. I think my favorite spot had to be the porch - so welcoming and comfortable, and we loved having coffee and listening to birdsong. The grounds rivaled the Kula Botanical Gardens - so many beautiful flowers, fruits and vegetables. We truly appreciated the location, as it was the perfect home base for exploring East Maui (our favorite areas of Maui), but not too far from West Maui (Lahaina, North Shore drive). We will return, without a doubt! Thank you Priscilla, for sharing, and we hope to meet you and your family next time!
My family and I had a wonderful stay at this beautiful cottage. We reminisce how our Maui experience was relaxing and serene. It was the perfect way to spend quality time with family and nature. We didn't get to meet Priscilla but everything went smoothly and she stayed in touch to make sure things were fine. We were worried about mosquitoes, but thankfully there weren't any that we encountered. We were extremely satisfied during our stay.
This cottage really lives up to its billing. It was a perfect spot for our family of four (2 young kids). Clean, comfortable, charming, an amazing piece of property, and the perfect location to explore upcountry, nearby hikes, and day trips like Hana Hwy, Haleakala, etc. It was a welcome change of style and pace from staying at a resort for the first 4 days of our vacation. That was nice too, but this place was like a home away from home. Made us all very happy, and Priscilla, Tsune and their beautiful kids were great hosts. Thank you so much for a memorable vacation!!
After an intense journey of 23 hours on 3 different planes, we were so warmly welcomed by our host Priscilla at 11.15 pm!
The cottage is a beautiful wooden house (fully equiped with everything you could wish for!) that I wish we could live in permanently. Priscilla had filled the fruit basket with papaya's, bananas and other fruits that I had never seen before, freshly picked from the garden.
The neighbourhood is a residential area with villas out in the hills. Everything was so peaceful and full of flowers and birds singing all day long.
The nights were a little cold being half way on the mountain, but that didn't stop us from gazing at all the billions of stars shining over Maui...
Priscilla, thank you so much for having us. It was truly a gift to stay with you.
Our stay was wonderful. Upon arriving there was a plate of fruit from the property on the table and a few welcome items in the fridge. The two bedrooms each had king sized beds, with comfortable mattresses and plenty of comfy pillows (an essential element of a relaxing vacation, but to often not found in privately offered vacation rentals).
The kitchen was adequately stocked and the cookware quality was well above that found in most rentals. More importantly, it was selected with an eye to durability. In other words, I did not find myself cooking with pans that compromised my efforts.
The bathroom was clean and of comfortable size, with a sink area that comfortably provided for all our personal effects.
The house, as a whole, was also clean and had plenty of windows, with the entire front of the houses essentially a floor to ceiling window.
The house is surrounded by greenery and a distant view of West Maui and the ocean.
As for location, Upcountry offers a different experience then the resorts down below. The house is on the way to Haleakala Volcano/Crater and takes significant time off a trip up the mountain. It also affords easy access to the Hana Highway, again closer then the beachside resorts. As for shopping, Foodland is about 5 minutes away in Pookalani and Makawa is a ten minute drive, at most.
As for Priscilla and Tsuni, they are extremely nice, gentle people. I introduced myself when first arriving and had a nice chat with her and Tsuni. They offered me access to their vegetable garden and the various fruits on their property, which I did avail myself of and enjoyed. They were also very accommodating when I requested a later checkout time (no one was coming in that evening). She said that she tries to be as accommodating as possible with such requests.
Although the cottage is on the same property as her principal residence, we enjoyed total privacy during our 4 day stay.
Thank you Priscilla and Tsuni
About the Host, Priscilla
My husband Tsune and I, and our three children, finally made Maui our home four years ago after 15+ years of regular holidays and longer stays. Before coming to Maui we lived in Tokyo for almost 20 years, where we continue to have a home, family and work. We miss our international community there and hope that some of it will come to us, now that we can share this lovely guest cottage. We are looking forward to meeting, and having our children meet, diverse travelers from all walks of life, from all over the world. All ages, races, sexual orientations, religions and nationalities welcome.
You will find our lifestyle and hosting style a definite mix of Japan and Hawaii, from the decor and aesthetics in the cottage, to the standard of cleanliness and kinds of vegetables in the garden on offer. We have traveled extensively and in a wide variety of styles, from backpacking/biking/camping to five-star hotels. We speak fluent Japanese, and understand some German and French. Tsune and I have studied traditional Japanese zen, healing and aikido. Priscilla is a long-time practitioner of yoga and is the director of a children's music school in Tokyo.
Our family loves making art and music and dancing together. Our living room is full of an eclectic variety of musical instruments that we pick up and jam on throughout the day. And we all (well, except the baby) like to read and write poetry and stories. We love the beach, the mountains, our garden, and horse riding. We love raising our children in the rhythms of Maui's beauty and peace.