About This Listing
One well preserved heritage house in the oldest city of Malaysia, Malacca. It is a big house with 5 big rooms. It has a big lounge that can sit many, a kitchen and it makes you feel like you are at home. All rooms have air conditioning except for the middle one & EcoZenVilla. It is kept in such a way so that some can experience the old life style. Nonetheless, it is not hot at night, especially if the next room has the air conditioner turned on. All rooms are equipped with mosquito net for a better night sleep. The lounge is without air conditioning, but it is not hot most of the time, except maybe on a few super hot days.
There are also 2 bicycles for guest to roam freely, in case if the tyres are flat, please push to the nearby motor shop to inflate the tyres. The house is only 5 mins walk away to the famous Jonker Walk. Opposite is a big convenient store to buy drinks, and some other things, it is really cheap, as it is wholesale.
We have plenty of movies that you can watch. You may turn on the stereo for nice music. There is a fridge to store your beers & drinks. Kitchen is available for simple cooking.
The house is situated between shops. In the old days, people live & do business in the same place. Mostly business at the front, living quarter at the back or upper level.
Our neighbor sells dried products, so there is a little smell. However, we have auto air re-freshener installed. Due to the nature of its business, it attracts some unwanted pest. We assure you that, it is clean inside the house, but occasionally they still cross the border into our house.
The Malacca river is just across the street, it is very convenient. The famous Kg Hulu Mosque is literally few doors away. Same with the oldest Chinese temple in Malaysia, just few minutes walk.
From Zen Villa, you can access to the back where you can see a small Malay Village living peacefully with the Chinese. Kids would come out the the playground in the evening. You can join to know more about the local life.
** our house keeper lives in the house. You may ask for her service if you need any. Unfortunately, she speaks Malay only, with very very little english. You should call us if you need more help.
Interaction with Guests
We will not meet up, email or leaving messages here would be the best way. If you have a phone, you may give us a call.
Please give us a call if you need help when you arrive. Our house keeper doesn't speak other language except Malay.
The street is very lively on the weekdays. Our neighbor sells dried food, so you can get some for a good price. On our left, the shop repairs scale, it is quite rare to find this shop outside of the old town these days.
You can basically walk to most places in Jonker area.
If you are driving, you can park a car on our drive way, do be informed that the driveway is narrow. Also, there could be plenty of lorries parked on the street blocking the driveway, but it is not an issue if you talk to the neighbor nicely.
There are plenty parking along the street & a public parking across. Please buy parking coupons and display them on your windshield to prevent parking ticket.
Other Things to Note
- the stairs are a bit steep and might be a problem for the elders.
- WIFI isn't too reliable due to the poor reception. It only gets good reception on the upper floor outside the master room. If internet is important & a must, please consider other places.
- house is basic & simple, nothing fancy & luxury. It is good for people to appreciate DIY stuff & original creativity
- could be slightly noisy due to its proximity to the street & poor sound insulation
- you might see ants, maybe cockroaches too. However, we do try our best to remove & reduce them. Old houses have open sewerage, so it is almost impossible to get rid of all the pest.
- if you sleep in the attic room & master room, you might hear noises of creature running on the ceiling. Rest assured that they are only on the roof, they won't get down. This is also another feature of old houses.
- if our bicycles tyres are flat, please get them pumped. There is a motorbike shop few doors down.
- No smoking.
- Keep the place clean & tidy
- Turn off all air conditioners, lights & shut all windows & doors.
Myself and family carry a big hope thinking of enjoy baba & nyoya antique house , we are so sad when arriving at this venue , please referring to below bad experience during our stay :
1- no sign board / hard to locate.
2- house totally out of maintenance
3- wash room no water heater( could be spoil or trip, 1st floor toilet lock damage
4- entire house look old and dirty ( dirty in sense of lack of maintaining ) most paint peel off.
5- second floor bed room ( without Ac) - my friend was being haunted by bed bug - entire body with bug bite
6- no parking for family drive more than 1 car.
7- entire house full if mosquito ( need to use mosquito nets)
8- no wifi / network router unable to connect to network .
9- noisy - can't sleep well if you stay at room close to road side.
10- room window curtain spoil and total dislodge.
Good point; house keeper ( Malay aunty is helpful n nice )
Location close to tourist attraction and eatery .
Sorry for the disappointment.
1) We are not a hotel or commercial entity, thus we don't have any signage as it was stated.
2) will look into this.
3) we have water heaters in all bathroom. Will look into whether they are damaged.
4) it is a heritage house, and it is supposed to look old. If dirty, then my live in helper isn't doing her job.
5) we already stated in the description that one of the rooms are without ac.
6) we also stated there is only 1 carpark at the driveway. Many houses in Malacca don't even have private car park. You would have to park on the street. There is a public carpark right across the street too.
7) We try to reduce mosquito, thus we have installed mosquito nets to give a better sleep.
8) It only works on 1 spot, and many times because of its small size, guest tend to move it around. Will solve this issue.
9) It is a street house and an old house, thus sound proof is not good.
10) will look into this.
Thank you for the feedbacks, will try to solve the problems asap.
Great place! It was clean, and exactly as advertised. We found it easily and were welcomed in. We really enjoyed the fact that we could all have our own bedrooms and space. It is very short walk down to the river and from there you can weave along the river to Jonker St, it was excellently located, and the area seemed safe and secure to us, no trouble with parking where Lainux suggested. Would definitely stay again!
Boutel, the Heritage House is rather inconspicuous and difficult to find. However it is easy once we located Thong Hup - the supermart, which is directly opposite Boutel. It is very convenient walking to and fro Jonker Street.
Our two nights stay in Boutel was enjoyable, it was spacious for a large group of ten people. The rooms were clean and we appreciate the fluffy towels and toilet amenities provided.
The only drawback was being awakened several times in the night by sounds of rats running up and down the rooftop. Though it is assured the rats will not enter the house, there is still a sense of fear that they might gnaw their way through inside.
We have fun staying in a rustic shop-house, and will miss our friendly caretaker!
This property certainly has a lot of potential and the location is excellent with a great local vibe.
I'd describe it as more "backpacker than boutique".
The internet was slow (you're able to get good wifi at nearby Jonker Street cafes) , though the fast aircon was a blessing.
Power cords are supplied so you don't have the challenge of choosing between charging your devices and keeping the mosquito buzzers plugged in.
I wouldn't suggest staying here if you wanted any form of self catering - there's no need to, shops and eateries are so close....
This property certainly offers something "a little different" for those who like to be out and about without wanting to spend time relaxing at home....
This host has 105 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Lainux
I like to travel and love to stay at alternative lodging to hotel. After getting involved in this BNB project, I have become more handy. I believe in a unique experience & design. Thus, most of our places are done by me & friends. Many furnitures are done by me. I am now able to do plumbing work, electrical wiring(though I have degree in EE), carpenting & more. I enjoy all the challenges I faced.
I believe in recycle, reuse & repurpose. You can see many of the things used are done this way. Also, I tried to work many of the eco friendly elements into my places. Latest project was a solar water heater, rain water & air cond water collection for toilet flushes.
I hope you like my designs & effort that I put in. Do feel free to drop me a line for anything.