About this listing
Our country estate is in Onomea, 6 miles north of Hilo, on 5 tropical acres with garden and ocean views. The Garden Suite at Onomea is a private cottage with views of flowering royal Poinciana trees, mango, lychee, mountain apple trees, monkeypod trees, and coconut palms. The most repeated description by our guests is 'peaceful'. The suite has a studio layout... bedroom, living room and kitchenette all in one very ample space, and a lovely stone-tiled bath with very high ceilings and gorgeous light. The kitchenette is equipped with an array of cooking appliances for simple cooking needs, and a full sized refrigerator. In lieu of a stove there is a gas barbecue on the covered lanai. The queen bed sleeps two and there is a twin bed that sleeps one additional. Our road is one of the loveliest in all of Hawaii. Artists frequently come to paint it! Within walking distance is the Hawaii Tropical Botanic Gardens. A short hike from the Botanic Garden down the old donkey trail is Onomea Bay. Fed by a mountain stream, this is a truly beautiful coastal spot with a serene majesty. By car, we are less than 8 miles to the 400+ foot Akaka Falls State Park and equi-distant from Volcano National Park to the south and Waipio Valley to the north.... Just two of many other attractions in the area.
Sleeps two in queen bed and 1 additional in a twin bed. Private entry in a stand alone building. (cottage suite)
Last minute bookings (under three weeks) MAY be discounted.
At our discretion, 2 day or even 1 day stays are sometimes possible if our calendar permits. Rates are not uniform for short term stays. Please request a quote.
Touring and adventure suggestions in our area:
By car, within 15 minutes, are the magnificent 419 foot high Akaka Falls, the charming village of Honomu; and the nearby city of Hilo, center of commerce on the east slope of Mauna Kea and home to a renowned Hilo Farmers Market open daily.
Some other places/activities we recommend you think about during your stay, here on the east side of the Island of Hawaii......
Volcano National Park, Waipaio Tide Pools, Mauna Kea Astronomy visitors center, Imiloa Museum in Hilo; three zipline adventures are nearby; several nearby beach parks... snorkeling, swimmng, surfing and boogie boarding;
horseback riding is available literally across the street from us as well as up in Kohala and Waipio Valley; The 13,980 foot summit of Mauna Kea is home to 13 international telescopes. The work done with these telescopes are redefining our understanding of of the universe (a visitor center is open daily at the 9,000 foot level); Alahanui Park - Hot Spring Pond; the Lyman Museum, the Tsunami Museum, the Hilo zoo, Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut farm and factory; and.... Volcano National Park!
No smoking inside. Limited smoking is allowed on the guest suite lanai with the sliding glass doors closed.
We had mixed feelings about our 1 week stay in May 2015.
The positives from our stay:
1. Randall was a good host and friendly. He left us some lychees from his tree on the first day.
2. The suite had all the basic amenities (portable stove, coffee maker, toaster, etc). The grill in the back is a plus if you are willing to brave the mosquitoes.
2. Good location: close enough for all our activities on the Hilo side of Big Island (45 minutes from Volcano, 1 hr from Mauna Kea, 15 minutes to downtown Hilo).
The negatives from our stay:
1. Mosquitos and other bugs inside the unit that we were constantly trying to kill with an electric swatter.
- Hilo is tropical so the mosquitoes outside the suite were expected. However, the insect population and mosquitoes inside the suite were more than we could take. We were constantly bitten by mosquitoes inside the house. Randall texted us to let us know to turn off the lights during a termite hatching but we didn't get the text in time and we had termites crawling under the door and shedding their wings inside the house.
- Both easily preventable, if the suite had proper window and door screens to prevent insects from getting in. Instead there were large gaps between the floor and the door and the window screens had holes.
2. Overall cleanliness of the property was a concern. Randall has chickens and there were chicken droppings all over the walkways and in the lanai. The poop was left there for days without anyone cleaning it up and we had to be careful to step around it which was more difficult in the night.
3. The laundry facilities are not easily accessible and are within Randall's house, I wish it were made clear in the description.
Overall, we would probably not stay here again.
This is a small piece of paradise within walking distance to the Botanical Gardens.
Randell is a gracious host with great insight local activities and restaurants
My stay at the Garden Suite was delightful. I was traveling on the island for work and spent much of my time away from Randall's place, however I really wish I could have spent more time on the property as it was a lovely, peaceful and relaxing environment. I grew up on the Big Island in Waimea, so I am familiar with much of the island. Randall's place made returning to that home environment incredibly rewarding as the Garden Suite was comforting, clean, and rejuvenating after a long day moving around for work. I would highly recommend staying here for any duration of time.
This is a beautiful place to stay and Randall is an exceptional host. The Garden Suite is convenient to Hilo and the grounds are gorgeous -- we loved the greenery and the quietness. The suite is elegantly furnished and extremely comfortable -- and the patio is just about the perfect place, especially for drinking coffee in the morning! The kitchen area is well supplied. Could not recommend this more highly!
Randall took care of us, wonderfully, at our arrival. His place is adorable. We loved it !
First of all, Randall is the best host you can wish for and a good source for recommendations about the area. The Onomea Guest suite is spotless clean, furnished with taste and the kitchen has everything you need. The garden is a blast! It's only a short distance to the Botanical Garden and the Scenic Drive, Hilo is only a 10 minutes drive away. I can definetely recommend that place.
If you love gardens this is a great location. Close walk to the Botanical Gardens. Suite is located on a beautiful property once part of a sugar plantation. Private and comfortable, tastefully furnished. Well equipped for light cooking.
Randall was welcoming and helpful.
This host has 18 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Randall
Randall: Coffee with half and half the moment I get (website hidden)-watch a Coen brothers or Fellini movie once every so often. A bit of photography.
Donna: Tea the moment she gets up! The most wonderful wife you could ever imagine! Thai food. Boogie boarding. Theater!! Did I mention tea?