A wonderful, quiet, and secluded escape in the Poconos. Our home is very open and inviting, with tall cathedral ceilings and an open floor plan. Plenty of room to cook, relax, and sit out in the back on the deck or by the fire pit. Relax, enjoy!
Welcome to The Velvet Elk!
A Unique and Peaceful Retreat in The Poconos
Located in the very heart of the beautiful Pocono Mountains, our unique home in Pocono Lake is the perfect getaway or escape for both families as well as a romantic stay for couples. Bordered on all sides by shaded woods and a thick nature preserve, it is a calm and serene locale with an incredibly private back yard, as long as you don't mind the deer and wild turkey that cross through now and again! All viewable from our plant-speckled sunroom or newly built outdoor deck. There is a fantastically large 10 foot farm table in the sunroom for comfortable dining or game night by the blue flickering flame of the gas stove. The house is decorated in all directions with vintage radios and projectors and old movie posters. Lots of decorative lighting as well. It's a great vibe to spend a weekend or longer surrounded by.
Just 90 minutes from either New York City or Philadelphia, it is an easily accessible and short drive to the rolling dirt road leading to our house. There is a large U-shaped driveway, and a carport is available to accommodate your vehicle as well. This really is a remarkable and special place.
* Large backyard deck *
* Fire pit *
* Large glass-encased wood stove*
* 10 foot farm table next to ambient gas stove
* Large fully equipped open kitchen
* Newly renovated kitchen and master bath *
* 3 bedrooms (One master, 2 guest)
* 2 Full Bathrooms
* Comfortably sleeps 8
* Spacious sunroom with overflowing plants, farm dining table, and panoramic view of back yard and nature preserve
* 2-person jet stream jacuzzi in Master Bedroom
* Pool table in raised loft area
* Fully equipped kitchen with gas stove and dishwasher
* Hi-Speed Wireless internet throughout home
* Digital cable with HBO and Surround Sound stereo system
* Wireless control of living room stereo through iTunes
* Giant glass-fronted wood burning stove
* Large backyard deck with Gas grill
* 5 min walk to private community beach/pond as well as a larger lake
* Tennis courts, basketball courts, softball field, and kids play park (with community day pass)
* Small ski hill in winter
* Closet filled with games, sports equipment, and more
* In addition, you are minutes from all the hiking, biking, trails, lakes, and golf you can possibly imagine!
* Jack Frost Ski Resort is a 10-minute drive
* Camelback Ski Area is a 20-minute drive
* Tannersville Outlets are a 20 minute drive
* 2 night minimum stay
* Responsible party must be at least 25 years of age to rent. Prices are for up to 6 persons, additional charge per person, not including children under 3.
Please email with further questions. Thanks for your interest! - Don
Please check with Locust Lake office for guest pass information.
Interaction with Guests
I am available before, during, and after your stay for any questions or issues that may arise.
The Velvet Elk is located in a very quaint and quiet residential community, with 3 lakes interspersed throughout the village. The house is very private, with no direct neighbors, and located off a well attended to gravel road. There is a nature preserve directly behind the house, which makes sitting on the deck a pleasure for reading, relaxing, barbecuing, and enjoying the bluestone fire pit. The area is stellar for a nice walk, run, or swim in the lake. A great escape!
You'll best be served by arriving in your own vehicle. There is bus service to Mt. Pocono which is about 20 minutes from the house. But you would need a cab from there and it can be expensive. You will need to travel to get to any stores or restaurants as well.
Other Things to Note
* PLEASE NOTE * Rates may vary for PEAK SEASON or HOLIDAY RATES.
* LOCUST LAKE GUEST BADGES POLICY : Should you choose to use the community amenities such as beaches or tennis courts, etc, the residential resort community requires you to purchase a Guest Pass from the main office building. Sadly, they no longer accept owner badges. You would be responsible for any fines you might possibly receive otherwise. At last check, prices were as follows :: $6 day | $30 week | $100 month
WE HOPE THAT YOU ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS WE DO!! RELAX, MAKE YOURSELVES COMFORTABLE, AND ENJOY THE SURROUNDINGS. KINDLY LEAVE THE HOUSE AS YOU FOUND IT. THANK YOU.
* Check in: 3pm, check out: 12noon.
* A maximum of eight (8) guests may rent the property at one time. Prices listed are for up to 6 guests. Upon approval, additional guests, add $30 each per person/per day, and $50 per person towards security deposit. Failure to notify owner of additional guests will be deducted from security deposit.
* ADVANCE PERMISSION REQUIRED FOR LATE CHECK OUT. In cases where there are new tenants coming in on same day as your departure, we ask that you adhere to this. The cleaning service will charge additional fees if they cannot get in by noon to begin cleaning house, as they only have until 3pm to get it ready. If this should happen, these charges would be deducted from your security deposit.
* Please leave the house and grounds in the condition you found them upon your arrival, and pack out trash at the end of your stay (trash bin is at the top of the driveway). Cleaning service WILL CHARGE EXTRA to take out your trash. PLEASE NOTE: If you do not securely close the trash lids and trash bin, there is a significant chance that animals may get into it. If the cleaning service has to pick up any littered trash due to poorly secured bins and barrels, there will be a $50 fee deducted from the security deposit to clean up the area.
* With the exception of the secured fire pit in the back yard, no fires of any kind are permitted on the grounds, evidence of such will result in loss of security deposit. The renter understands, that by signing this agreement, he releases the homeowner of any liability in regards to injuries caused by any fires created by renter or his/her guests. Renter acknowledges and accepts all these risks associated with fire, and agrees to release homeowner of fault in any case of injury to him/her and their guests.
* PET POLICY - Well-behaved and small pets are welcome (prior disclosure and approval necessary) with an additional $100 refundable security deposit. WE ASK THAT YOU KEEP PETS OFF BEDS AND OTHER FURNITURE.
* A full book of guidelines/house instructions will be available before your arrival. Please provide us with your email address after booking and we will send you a PDF of the house information, along with your unlock code for the from door.
* It is recommended the Tenant bring their own towels and linens. There are some provided there for you, but we have found that often they may not be returned to the proper place after a previous guests stay and you may have to search for them. Hence the recommendation. But there are some there. Likewise we recommend you bring some toilet paper toilet and cleaning detergents. There is usually some in place before your arrival. If so, please be courteous and replace what you use before you leave for the next guest. Please wash whatever house blankets or available linens/towels you use before you leave. Cleaning service charges extra for this.
* No vehicles of any kind are allowed in the backyard.
* For rentals over 14 days, tenant will be responsible for their share of utility bills during their stay.
* We ask, due to the high costs of heating a large house, that you plan on bringing or picking up some bundles of wood for the fireplace. In a pinch, you are welcome to borrow from the wood shed off of the driveway.
* There is NO SMOKING of any kind inside of the home. Burns on the carpet from smoking will be subtracted from your security deposit. Please step outside, and be sure to clean up the remains after you are through. Thank you for respecting this.
* All doors and windows must be securely closed and locked. Please turn off all lights and fans, and most importantly, if you use the heat, PLEASE RETURN TO THE OFF POSITION, OR TO 55 DEGREES IN THE WINTER MONTHS.
* Please note, the home security system will be deactivated during your stay. If you will be later than the 3pm arrival, please let us know. In addition, please be aware that after 12pm on your day of departure, the security system will AUTOMATICALLY RE-ARM itself.
* Finally, you must agree to relax and enjoy your stay! Thanks again!
Unique retreat in the Pocono's is the perfect description for this lovely home. The house was definitely unique and just the thing for a group of city girls to get away for a nice girls weekend. The house had everything we needed to be comfortable and the host Don was very easy to work with. The house has a cozy and unique atmosphere. We truly enjoyed cooking and eating in the sun-room, playing board games by the fire and soaking in the Jacuzzi! We were so impressed and the bottle of wine to welcome us was a lovely touch!
My weekend trip to the Poconos involved a balance of snow activities and staying in and handing out with a medium sized group of friends. Overall I enjoyed my stay in Don's home whose instructions were thoughtful. All the beds were comfortable and rooms stayed warm throughout the night. The home was well equipped with everything my group needed. I would consider staying here again.
Don was accessible throughout my reservation process and stay. I contacted him the day before I wanted to reserve and he promptly responded to all of my questions making my reservation experience simple.
His home was easy to find and was accurately described- a charming home with vintage decor and a large back yard. He even had a bottle of wine and custom postcard set up with the welcome package which added a personal touch to the home. Thanks for the wine Don! We enjoyed the indoor fire place throughout our stay but had to buy more wood for ourselves for our second night;but since we were out snowshoeing the second day we conveniently stopped at a store along the way. There is fire wood available to purchase on his property but we decided to buy elsewhere. The lighting and heating system were not as simple as the ones I am use to and I had to switch things on and off a few times before I managed to figure it out with help from Don's labeling.
The fire pit was buried under snow which we could have easily dug out but we eventually decided against in and enjoyed the fireplace inside instead.
I texted Don a couple of times during our stay with questions and he responded as soon as he could which I greatly appreciated. None of our questions were related to urgent issues but if they were I'm confident he would have dealt with them with the same promptness.
We cooked a few meals at home using the oven for two of them (it was not easy to get the oven temp setting right but Don's advice helped) and enjoyed the meals on his large dining table located in the cozy sun room. Most of what we needed to know was in the welcome package (exception being the oven setting instructions) he even mentions bringing linens and blankets which we did. If visiting in the winter I do suggest bringing extra blankets because of the cold. I do believe there were some there but they would need to be washed after the stay which is reasonable but inconvenient with a noon check out time (at least for us).
Our group of 7 adults stayed at Don's home for a ski/snowboard weekend. Don's retreat was far more special than the pictures suggest. The home was clean, spacious, rustic, and tastefully decorated/designed. It is obvious that much care was invested in this home.
On our second day we realized that the home was low on gas (which only impacted the stove/oven and a gas heater in the home) and the extreme weather was limiting the gas company from responding promptly. We contacted Don, and he immediately offered a variety of solutions. With much diligence on Don's behalf, he was able to get the gas company to refuel the tanks while we were out on the mountain. What could have been a major hiccup actualized into a temporary inconvenience.
Please be sure to receive the home instruction PDF PRIOR to arriving to the home. There is quite a bit of information in the manual that will make your even more enjoyable.
Our ONLY disappointment was that we were there in the winter and couldn't appreciate the fire pit and backyard. Even with pile ups of snow, the backyard looked pretty amazing.
I would definitely recommend this home for anyone traveling to the Pocono area!
A true pocono gem!
This is a great cabin and perfect for a weekend with friends. We spend a weekend here and had a great time, we were three couples, 2 young children and one baby and this house accommodated us all very comfortably. The host was very flexible with and was easy to communicate with. The house is nicely furnished and has extra blankets and pillows, all we needed to bring were sheets, towels and food and it felt like home. The pool table is a great addition and the fact that it was on another level, away from the bedrooms, was great. The cable tv came in handy and the well equipped kitchen made it easy to prepare all of our meals. It was close to the outlet, market and slopes.
I would highly recommend this cabin as we will definitely be back. Thanks for a great weekend!
We felt right at home at Don's. The kitchen is well stocked. The house has all the latest devices to enable streaming music and videos. Even in some frigid weather, we stayed warm and a nice bonus was having firewood delivered. The house isn't far from restaurants, bars, and grocery stores. There's even an outlet mall nearby. Highly recommend staying here!
Our ragtag group of both people and pets had a wonderful time at The Velvet Elk. The house was exactly as pictured - spacious, well stocked, quiet with adorable decorations everywhere. The master bedroom had a heated blanket (which everyone loved). There was something wrong with the oven's temperature gauge (it would not go above 350) and the DVD player in the living room wouldn't open but luckily enough for us there was a Roku box, Apple TV, cable and our own X-Box that we lugged with. We would definitely go back and hope to visit again during the summer to take advantage of the outdoor equipment - deck, fire pit, grill, etc. Thanks for the wine Don!
The Velvet Elk was perfect! It was exactly the quiet, beautiful cabin we were looking for in the Poconos. The Velvet Elk was homey and comfortable. Don was an excellent resource before & during the trip. The home comfortably slept eight people. This was a great relaxing getaway.
Traveler. Musician. Appreciator of life. I take a lot of pride working on making my home as cozy as possible for friends, family, and guests alike! This home is much cared after, and most definitely not your traditional "rental." You'll find a lot of interesting old radios and projectors and posters throughout the house, and there will probably be more when you decide to return! It's close to all the local skiing, and has a very private an open backyard for your non-winter BBQ'ing and stargazing by the fire pit.
The Velvet Elk has been our favorite getaway for over a decade now and every trip there is re-invigorating. Personally, I especially love making a nice fire in the wood stove and staring at the flames...until I get hungry again. But I digress.
I'll be available anytime by phone if you have questions regarding your stay, or are in need of directions/suggestions. I know you'll love it there!