About this listing
A wonderful, quiet, and secluded escape in the Poconos. Our home is very open and inviting, with tall cathedral ceilings and an open floor plan. Plenty of room to cook, relax, and sit out in the back on the deck or by the fire pit. Relax, enjoy!
Welcome to The Velvet Elk!
A Unique and Peaceful Retreat in The Poconos
Located in the very heart of the beautiful Pocono Mountains, our unique home in Pocono Lake is the perfect getaway or escape for both families as well as a romantic stay for couples. Bordered on all sides by shaded woods and a thick nature preserve, it is a calm and serene locale with an incredibly private back yard, as long as you don't mind the deer and wild turkey that cross through now and again! All viewable from our plant-speckled sunroom or newly built outdoor deck. There is a fantastically large 10 foot farm table in the sunroom for comfortable dining or game night by the blue flickering flame of the gas stove. The house is decorated in all directions with vintage radios and projectors and old movie posters. Lots of decorative lighting as well. It's a great vibe to spend a weekend or longer surrounded by.
Just 90 minutes from either New York City or Philadelphia, it is an easily accessible and short drive to the rolling dirt road leading to our house. There is a large U-shaped driveway, and a carport is available to accommodate your vehicle as well. This really is a remarkable and special place.
* Large backyard deck *
* Fire pit *
* Large glass-encased wood stove*
* 10 foot farm table next to ambient gas stove
* Large fully equipped open kitchen
* Newly renovated kitchen and master bath *
* 3 bedrooms (One master, 2 guest)
* 2 Full Bathrooms
* Comfortably sleeps 8
* Spacious sunroom with overflowing plants, farm dining table, and panoramic view of back yard and nature preserve
* 2-person jet stream jacuzzi in Master Bedroom
* Pool table in raised loft area
* Fully equipped kitchen with gas stove and dishwasher
* Hi-Speed Wireless internet throughout home
* Digital cable with HBO and Surround Sound stereo system
* Wireless control of living room stereo through iTunes
* Giant glass-fronted wood burning stove
* Large backyard deck with Gas grill
* 5 min walk to private community beach/pond as well as a larger lake
* Tennis courts, basketball courts, softball field, and kids play park (with community day pass)
* Small ski hill in winter
* Closet filled with games, sports equipment, and more
* In addition, you are minutes from all the hiking, biking, trails, lakes, and golf you can possibly imagine!
* Jack Frost Ski Resort is a 10-minute drive
* Camelback Ski Area is a 20-minute drive
* Tannersville Outlets are a 20 minute drive
* 2 night minimum stay
* Responsible party must be at least 25 years of age to rent. Prices are for up to 6 persons, additional charge per person, not including children under 3.
Please email with further questions. Thanks for your interest! - Don
Please check with Locust Lake office for guest pass information.
Interaction with Guests
I am available before, during, and after your stay for any questions or issues that may arise.
The Velvet Elk is located in a very quaint and quiet residential community, with 3 lakes interspersed throughout the village. The house is very private, with no direct neighbors, and located off a well attended to gravel road. There is a nature preserve directly behind the house, which makes sitting on the deck a pleasure for reading, relaxing, barbecuing, and enjoying the bluestone fire pit. The area is stellar for a nice walk, run, or swim in the lake. A great escape!
You'll best be served by arriving in your own vehicle. There is bus service to Mt. Pocono which is about 20 minutes from the house. But you would need a cab from there and it can be expensive. You will need to travel to get to any stores or restaurants as well.
Other Things to Note
* PLEASE NOTE * Rates may vary for PEAK SEASON or HOLIDAY RATES.
* LOCUST LAKE GUEST BADGES POLICY : Should you choose to use the community amenities such as beaches or tennis courts, etc, the residential resort community requires you to purchase a Guest Pass from the main office building. Sadly, they no longer accept owner badges. You would be responsible for any fines you might possibly receive otherwise. At last check, prices were as follows :: $6 day | $30 week | $100 month
WE HOPE THAT YOU ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS WE DO!! RELAX, MAKE YOURSELVES COMFORTABLE, AND ENJOY THE SURROUNDINGS. KINDLY LEAVE THE HOUSE AS YOU FOUND IT. THANK YOU.
* Check in: 3pm, check out: 12noon.
* A maximum of eight (8) guests may rent the property at one time. Prices listed are for up to 6 guests. Upon approval, additional guests, add $30 each per person/per day, and $50 per person towards security deposit. Failure to notify owner of additional guests will be deducted from security deposit.
* ADVANCE PERMISSION REQUIRED FOR LATE CHECK OUT. In cases where there are new tenants coming in on same day as your departure, we ask that you adhere to this. The cleaning service will charge additional fees if they cannot get in by noon to begin cleaning house, as they only have until 3pm to get it ready. If this should happen, these charges would be deducted from your security deposit.
* Please leave the house and grounds in the condition you found them upon your arrival, and pack out trash at the end of your stay (trash bin is at the top of the driveway). Cleaning service WILL CHARGE EXTRA to take out your trash. PLEASE NOTE: If you do not securely close the trash lids and trash bin, there is a significant chance that animals may get into it. If the cleaning service has to pick up any littered trash due to poorly secured bins and barrels, there will be a $50 fee deducted from the security deposit to clean up the area.
* With the exception of the secured fire pit in the back yard, no fires of any kind are permitted on the grounds, evidence of such will result in loss of security deposit. The renter understands, that by signing this agreement, he releases the homeowner of any liability in regards to injuries caused by any fires created by renter or his/her guests. Renter acknowledges and accepts all these risks associated with fire, and agrees to release homeowner of fault in any case of injury to him/her and their guests.
* PET POLICY - Well-behaved and small pets are welcome (prior disclosure and approval necessary) with an additional $100 refundable security deposit. WE ASK THAT YOU KEEP PETS OFF BEDS AND OTHER FURNITURE.
* A full book of guidelines/house instructions will be available before your arrival. Please provide us with your email address after booking and we will send you a PDF of the house information, along with your unlock code for the from door.
* It is recommended the Tenant bring their own towels and linens. There are some provided there for you, but we have found that often they may not be returned to the proper place after a previous guests stay and you may have to search for them. Hence the recommendation. But there are some there. Likewise we recommend you bring some toilet paper toilet and cleaning detergents. There is usually some in place before your arrival. If so, please be courteous and replace what you use before you leave for the next guest. Please wash whatever house blankets or available linens/towels you use before you leave. Cleaning service charges extra for this.
* No vehicles of any kind are allowed in the backyard.
* For rentals over 14 days, tenant will be responsible for their share of utility bills during their stay.
* We ask, due to the high costs of heating a large house, that you plan on bringing or picking up some bundles of wood for the fireplace. In a pinch, you are welcome to borrow from the wood shed off of the driveway.
* There is NO SMOKING of any kind inside of the home. Burns on the carpet from smoking will be subtracted from your security deposit. Please step outside, and be sure to clean up the remains after you are through. Thank you for respecting this.
* All doors and windows must be securely closed and locked. Please turn off all lights and fans, and most importantly, if you use the heat, PLEASE RETURN TO THE OFF POSITION, OR TO 55 DEGREES IN THE WINTER MONTHS.
* Please note, the home security system will be deactivated during your stay. If you will be later than the 3pm arrival, please let us know. In addition, please be aware that after 12pm on your day of departure, the security system will AUTOMATICALLY RE-ARM itself.
* Finally, you must agree to relax and enjoy your stay! Thanks again!
The house was quite roomy and comfortable for a group of six. The backyard space was excellent and the entire house was clean and orderly. Don was a great host, easy to communicate with, providing thorough instructions prior to our arrival. Everyone in our group had a great experience and wished we had a few more days to enjoy the house!
They left us a bottle of wine and popcorn :) The backyard was so private and we loved the firepit. The house is very spacious.
We had a wonderful family weekend at this lovely place. Clean, quiet, spacious, and with artistic decorations everywhere, love it!
Very sweet and cozy place to stay over the weekend! We enjoyed the backyard grill, the fire pitch, and almost everything there. Nice community, too. Feeling refreshed to have a morning stroll, or fishing by the lake.
Wonderful home and location! My friends and I stayed here for Memorial Day weekend and had a great time. The house was very spacious, clean and welcoming; it easily accommodated the five of us. The fully equipped kitchen and outdoor grill was perfect for cooking large meals. Also, I had great communication with Don before my stay. Highly recommended!
We were a group of 8 people and two cats who stayed at Don's incredible house in the Poconos for easter. We had a lovely time and the house is exactly has described, if not better.
Don was a very kind and accommodating host who gave us advice on trails, hikes and nearby grocery stores + restaurants. He also let us check out later than planned which was super great.
Unique retreat in the Pocono's is the perfect description for this lovely home. The house was definitely unique and just the thing for a group of city girls to get away for a nice girls weekend. The house had everything we needed to be comfortable and the host Don was very easy to work with. The house has a cozy and unique atmosphere. We truly enjoyed cooking and eating in the sun-room, playing board games by the fire and soaking in the Jacuzzi! We were so impressed and the bottle of wine to welcome us was a lovely touch!
About the Host, Don
Traveler. Musician. Appreciator of life. I take a lot of pride working on making my home as cozy as possible for friends, family, and guests alike! This home is much cared after, and most definitely not your traditional "rental." You'll find a lot of interesting old radios and projectors and posters throughout the house, and there will probably be more when you decide to return! It's close to all the local skiing, and has a very private an open backyard for your non-winter BBQ'ing and stargazing by the fire pit.
The Velvet Elk has been our favorite getaway for over a decade now and every trip there is re-invigorating. Personally, I especially love making a nice fire in the wood stove and staring at the flames...until I get hungry again. But I digress.
I'll be available anytime by phone if you have questions regarding your stay, or are in need of directions/suggestions. I know you'll love it there!