About This Listing
- recently remodeled 1+ br suite in historic bldg.
- top floor & lots of light!
- in highly acclaimed central & safe area, steps from beautiful Seine river shoreline
- outstanding public transport options
- run by an Airbnb “Superhost”
Fully-equipped kitchen: tableware, cookware, dishwasher, microwave, toaster, teapot...
(Updated 21 May 2012: We are proud to have earned the Airbnb "Superhost" badge which is awarded to selected hosts who have received outstanding reviews from previous guests and have made contributions to the Airbnb system and community to improve the overall experience of travellers).
(Update 21 September 2011: We are featured in the AirBnB "Paris Collection" which is a hand-picked selection of 40 Paris properties that the AirBnB staff feel are exceptional. Thanks to our guests for the fantastic reviews!)
WHAT MAKES IT UNIQUE
Renovated recently, with an interior designer's personal touch, this flat will appeal to those who prefer contemporary design but don't want to dissolve the old-world charm of original hard-wood floors and other features that are a quintessential part of living in an historic Parisian building. You'll find all the amenities and you won't find any clutter of personal belongings because we feel that it's an important part of the experience to feel you're coming to Your place -- not tiptoeing around someone else's stuff.
Located on the top-floor (with a small elevator), your bright and airy flat is luminous with south-westerly light from the living room window and morning light from the north-east facing bedroom window.
VERSATILE LAYOUT and PRACTICAL AMENITIES:
- Bedroom(s): 1 separated bedroom with a king-sized bed with high-quality ironed sheets and pillows. There's an air-conditioning unit in this room for the rare moments when it gets too hot.
- Versatile living-room area converts (if needed) to a 2nd bedroom at sleeping time with a ceiling-to-floor curtain that swings around for visual privacy from the rest of the flat. You can sleep 1 person on the comfy couch and 1 person in a single-sized fold-out bed. And/or pull out the double-sized Tempurpedic mattress onto the floor to sleep two people. Up to 4 adults can sleep comfortably in the living room area, but I designed it more for a family with children and would expect that the space would feel cramped if it were 4 adults sleeping in this area. There's no air-conditioning here, but a portable fan -- when strategically placed at the entry of the bedroom -- can circulate the air-conditioned air into this area if it gets hot. Otherwise, the evening breeze + fan is generally enough to be comfy during a typical Paris summer evening.
- In the curtain-opened configuration, a bar separates living-room from the kitchen area, allowing you to interact with each-other while making preparations in the kitchen. There's a TV connected to with channels from many different countries, high-speed wi-fi internet access and free phone calls to normal land and cellular phones of North America and France. Calls to other European countries, India, Brazil, Argentina, Australia are free too if you call normal fixed land-line numbers. A plug adapter for US/UK laptops is provided.
- Kitchen: fully equipped with microwave, oven, dishwasher, gas-stove, large fridge, toaster, kettle, pots/pans, tableware, etc. There's a fold-out table with enclosed chairs.
- Bathroom: Clean, spacious bathroom with bathtub/shower (unlimited French style on-demand hot water system (downside is that the water pressure is low by american standards) and a toilet in a separate room (making it easier to share bathroom facilities) Soap, shampoo, towels provided - the kind of high quality stuff you'll find in a boutique-hotel. A washing machine (with built-in dryer) is tucked away under the designer sink and custom-fitted counter-top. Hang-drying, hair-dryer, Iron & international plug adapter provided.
We've tried to make it feel like *your* home away from home - thus the punny name. Our own personal items are locked away. You'll have total privacy and lots of empty storage space. Plus we've stocked the kitchen and refrigerator with basics (coffee, tea, pasta, etc.) so you feel like you just came home to your very own Paris 'pied à terror'
Interaction with Guests
I am an Airbnb "superhost" which means you'll be taken care of professionally. I always answer my phone -- even at night (in case it's an emergency) and will usually go above and beyond to help you.
ABOUT THE NEIGHBOURHOOD:
A little known piece of history is that your flat is located on a patch of land which was once an island called "Ile Louvier". Around 160 years ago, the small offshoot of the river was diverted so this smallest sibling of the 3 islands in the center of Paris, became a part of the right-bank, leaving only 2 emblematic islands in the city's center.
Located in the highly acclaimed 4th arrondisement in heart of Paris, adjacent to the Saint-Louis Island, the botanical gardens (with a mini-zoo), the Latin Quarter, and Le Marais village, This idyllic location has been the the backdrop for many Paris romantic films including "Before Sunset" and "Midnight in Paris". You can stroll along the river, take a boat-ride, partake in the picnicking, dance tango or salsa, shop in the open-air farmer's markets, or browse the designer and antique shops. You'll be immersed in all that makes this area so quintessentially Parisian and attracts discerning locals to live here in one of Paris's most picturesque neighborhoods.
WHY THE LOCATION IS IDEAL:
Very accessible (2 to 7 minutes walking) to all kinds of public transport: bus, metro, city-bikes, boat, and even the direct RER train which can take you to Musée d'Orsay, Louvre, Eiffel Tower, and Versailles. There's a boat "Batobus" dock on the opposite side of the river where you can make a round-trip to the Eiffel Tower and take in the city's beautiful bridges and medieval architecture along the way using the hop-on-hop-off option.
Our street has a separated bike lane and there is an adjacent "Velib" city-bike station from where you can rent a bike for 2€ per day. Bicycling in Paris by using the innovative bike scheme is one of the best ways to enjoy the city. You're lucky to be at the cross-roads of many different bike-paths taking you to all directions in the city.
You can easily get to the airports using the metro/train. (Details on meeting time and the pros/cons of various transfer options will sent to you in a few days prior to your arrival and with your booking confirmation. See "House Manual").
EVERYTHING in the SURROUNDING AREA (5-20 minutes walking distance):
- Your flat is across the street from one of the top-ranked Paris bakeries called "My father was a Baker"
- A mini-convenience store, open until 10:30pm every day, is a block away.
- Cafes, pizzerias and a wide selection of traditional French bistros catering to discerning local clients are all within walking distance.
- A supermarket (Franprix), an organic store (Bio C' Bon), pharmacy, doctor, hospital, credit-card machine, florist, wine, cheese, and other specialized shops, open-air farmer's markets (the "Marché Maubert" -- the oldest known Paris open-air farmers market and The Bastille market on the canal just north of the Bastille).
- An avant-garde contemporary art museum "La Maison Rouge" and the outstanding Paris urban design museum called "Le Pavillon d'Arsenal"
- Great areas for strolling: Le Marais (aka "the village"), the Saint-Paul Village, and Place des Vosges, Notre Dame and Saint Louis Island
- The Botanical Gardens and Natural History Museum and a mini-zoo are across the river.
- On Sundays, the road along the river is closed to cars and open to pedestrians, roller-bladers, and bicyclists.
- Cinemas, Opera, and night-life (jazz clubs, lounges, cafes & bars) in the Bastille and Marais areas.
- One of the best Thai-massage spas in Paris to relax those muscles from your long journeys and sight-seeing.
Many public transport options (bike, metro, train, bus) and easy connections to airports, Versailles, Disney, and South of France. Bike paths all around and parking garages close by. There's even a public boat dock.
Other Things to Note
This really is an amazingly central location along the river that runs thru the most historic and beautiful part of Paris. Check out the 100s of happy reviews from previous guests. We are Airbnb travellers ourselves and have tried to make this the kind of experience (amenities and service) that we'd want if we were the travelers.
We've lowered the nightly rate by 33% thru 2015 to compensate our future guests for any potential inconvenience due to construction noise (and loss of a beautiful view) from the nearby construction site of a 7-story luxury building. The noise risk is only between 8:30am to 5pm on weekdays when the crew operates. Although our recent guests have confirmed that noise during these hours is less than what other flats in an urban environment have from neighbors or street noise, we want you to be aware (and hopefully pleasantly surprised).
1. As we live and work in a different part of town, check-in/out must pre-arranged and punctual. Your check-in can be any time after 12pm and your check-out can be any time up to 10am. Please calculate you arrival time (see Directions for estimates) and let us know a 30-minute time frame for your arrival. If you arrive early, do not wait in the halls (to be respectful of the building's other residents). If you arrive more than 30 minutes later than your pre-arranged time, please contact me as soon as possible to make alternate arrangements to get the keys. To balance the needs of both the arriving and departing parties, please accept that your bags must arrive and depart with you as per the check-in/out times above. The major train stations nearby (Gare du Nord, Austerlitz, Lyno) have large lockers. This is not a hotel with a 24 hour front desk and a place to store your bags.
2. Only the guests that you registered at the time of booking are allowed inside the flat. You cannot sublet nor share any of the information provided with anyone that is not on the registered guest list. Do not let anyone who arrives unannounced into the flat. Sometimes there are scam artists who will try to mislead you by saying they are from the utility company or some other scam.
3. If you enjoy smoking, there's a small balcony off the living room where you can step out in the fresh air - a good experience even if you don't smoke. Please close the window behind you so the smoke doesn't blow back into the flat. Since you don't know the level of sensitivity nor expectations of the subsequent guests, please do not smoke inside the flat under any circumstances. If a smoking odor is present when housekeeping arrives after your check-out, the fabrics (curtains, couch cushions, mattress liners, etc.) will be professionally cleaned at cost which is more than the amount of your security deposit (which will be forfeited).
4. If you forget to return the keys by check-out time, we will have to make a claim on your security deposit to offset the cost of key duplication and/or lock replacement.
5. As is customary in this type of short-term vacation rental, there's no housekeeping service during your stay. However, if you request it at the time of booking, we can arrange laundry, ironing, or cleaning services with our professional housekeeper at the rate of 20€ per hour. Also, if you book for longer stays of 7+ days we will provide complimentary fresh sheets and 2 hours of housecleaning per week.
6. With all of the options available nearby for fun and merrymaking, we expect that you'll preserve the quiet and calm of the building (e.g. not hosting parties, wearing hard-soled shoes on the hardwood floors during sleeping hours, polka dancing, drum circles, etc.).
7. If you take great photos or videos of the building, the flat, furnishings, or the view, please ensure its for personal use only. Please do not post photos or videos on social media -- or any other publicly accessible medium -- which identify the exact location, Airbnb, or any property or individuals associated with this listing without prior explicit written approval from us.
This is a great home to stay in Paris and we wish we could stay longer . The house is at same as the photo /web described , cosy and everything there. The best of all is the location and conveniences as it is in centre Paris. It's in a safe neighborhood. We had a little problem with the booking as I wrongly double clicked and with help of Airbnb and Yvonne we all worked out. Otherwise I might involved with penalties due cancellation. When we arrive near the house , Richardo was there to bring us in . Give us introduction over the access of the building and the rooms beds etc. everything was smooth and hopefully next time we visit Paris we are able to stay here again.
Yvonne is a wonderfully charming host who provided a spot on apt with great directions on appliances and truly amazing and helpful guidance to the neighborhood.
And we never met her in person, which was zero problem since:
- she is very responsive to emails, helping us prepare our visit
- her friend Ricardo met us, a truly amazing and helpful person
- by phone her warmth and welcome came through
Ivonne's apartment in Paris worked great for my wife and I. It's in a good area at the edge of the 4th near Bastille and the Marais and the amenities in the apartment were great - especially the extra adapters and coffee! You also don't have to worry about safety coming back late in the evening since there's a police station accessed through the ground floor.
One thing to remember is to print your itinerary before arriving as it includes the door code to the building which wasn't in the pre-arrival email. We had a little trouble getting in at night since we didn't know the code. There is a fair amount of work going in a building being built across the alley and they do work on the weekend so if you're not an early riser, noise may be an issue but it wasn't for us since we didn't spend that much time in the flat. Water pressure isn't great in the shower but that's pretty standard in Paris. My wife went for an inexpensive blowout (translation: brushing) at a local salon. Overall though it's a great place and Ivonne was very helpful.
I arrived at the location at the time planned. The person meeting me was a few mins behind schedule, not a problem. He was literally running down the street when I saw him. Very nice guy and apologetic. So again, no worries. He helped me with my bag to the apartment.
Experienced travelers are probably aware of this but a lot of buildings in France (Europe in general) have steep stairs. The unit is on a high floor. The elevator is basically a closet. SO if you have physical limitations, something to consider. I , personally was not bothered by taking the steps. Not trying to discourage anyone, just be aware if you are suffering from any physical conditions that make using steps an issue.
The apartment itself was great. Everything you need for a stay in an apartment was there. Toiletries, Towels, Dishes, etc. There was even a small heater in the bedroom, which came in handy because I get chilly at night.
Nice big windows, comfortable bed, big sofa, nice TV, Nice kitchen and the WIFI worked well. Most people don't spend much time inside when in Paris but its a great place to come back to after spending the whole day walking around.
There was a guide to Paris personally created by the host, which was great as well as published guides.
The location is spot on. Near multiple train lines, the river and walking distance to shopping, La Marais , sites, etc. I stayed alone but I imagine a group of 3-4 would be fine there.
I have no complaints and would rent here again, no questions asked.
Communication was excellent from my initial inquiry to arrival in Paris.
The apartment was located perfectly. We arrived at the Gare de Lyon so it was only 10 minutes to walk. Everything went very well and Ricardo and Ivonne were very kind. We had a great stay in Paris with our 90 year old grandmother. She will never forget these days.
Ivonne's description of her flat "Home Sweet Home" was spot on. Comfortable and provided all the comforts of home. We would stay there again in a heartbeat. We were able to communicate with Ivonne via text and her response was immediate. Thanks again!
This host has 66 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Ivonne
I am happy to offer you accommodation in my beautifully renovated apartment. I take several trips a year (because my husband and I have families on separate continents and we love to travel) and stay in vacation rentals, boutique hotels and bed & breakfasts. And that means that I bring home the best ideas from these places. You'll see my attention to detail in the amenities I provide. And I'll be happy to share my knowledge of the area and life in Paris over a drink. And I want to hear about your hometown, your travel stories, and the good, the bad and the ugly of the places you've seen.
Amazingly delicious baker just across the street. Closes at 8pm and on weekends and holidays.Bd Morland Paris IDF 75004
Open every day until 22h or 23hBd Morland Paris IDF 75004
2 minute walk to nearest metro.
Amazing space with contemporary art exhibitions that are always interesting. If you need aesthetic bite-size nourishment that happens to be 5 minutes away, this is your place.Boulevard de la Bastille Paris 75012
Catch a hop-on, hop-off boat that will take you all the way to the Eiffel Tower, with stops along the way for other great Paris attractions.Quai Saint-Bernard Paris IDF 75005
You can use the street parking which is free on evenings and weekends. Or you can park at this nearby garage.Agrippa d'Aubigné St Paris 75004
On warm evenings, you can find salsa and tango dancing aficionados dancing in the open air along the seine. What an enchanting sight.Quai Saint-Bernard Paris IdF 75005
Start your Paris orientation here. Paris of the past and future can be seen here. If youre into urbanism and architecture, this place is made for you.blvd Morland Paris 75004
Delicious and organically grown groceriesBd Henri IV Paris IDF 75004
Our favorite neighborhood restaurant.Boulevard Henri IV Paris 75004
Nearest pharmacy. not open on sundays. theres another one just another 3 minutes of waking away at the Bastille.Boulevard Henri IV Paris 75004
4 minute walk to this metro station Line 7 which can take you to the Latin Quarter, or Opera, or the famous Pont Neuf, or all the way to La Villette for music and entertainment for the family
Probably one of the best traditional Thai massages youll ever have. Walk-in service often possible.Rue de Lesdiguières Paris 75004
Amazing selection of personally picked wines. Very knowledgeable, friendly and patient owner who speaks English.Rue Jacques Cœur Paris 75004
designer building which hosts amazing exhibitions. theres a free terrace you can access on the top floor for a gorgeous view looking over the seine and many landmarks.Rue des Fossés-Saint-Bernard Paris Ile-de-France 75005
5 minute walk to metro line 1 which connects you with Louvre, Arc de Triomphe, Royal Palace and other top tourist destinations.
Our second most favorite restaurant in the neighborhood. Homemade traditional french food. Small but good wine selection. Very fairly priced.Rue Saint-Louis en l'Île Paris 75004
Must see multi-story over-the-top designer latin-themed bar oozing with decor. Also has restaurant and tapas bar on the mezzanine from where you can take in the dancers below.Rue du Faubourg Saint-Antoine Paris Île-de-France 75012
Pharmacy which is open SundaysBoulevard Beaumarchais Paris 75004
If only a Starbucks will do.Rue de la Roquette Paris Île-de-France 75011
From here you can catch trains to Italy, Switzerland and the med coast. You can also catch local trains to Disney and Fontainbleau or La DefenseBoulevard Diderot Paris 75012
Great place to bring the kids for a natural history museum, zoo, botanical gardens, a merry go round... or just a great stroll as a couple. stop for tea at the Mosquee on the other side.Paris IdF
delicious coffee from around the world. A nice walk along the river to this place.Rue de l'Hôtel de ville Paris Île-de-France 75004
Sometimes you just want a delicious burger. This place makes em with a French touch.Rue Jean du Bellay Paris 4e arrondissement 75004
Check out the Ile Saint Louis neighborhood along the beautiful stroll to this landmark. Then cross over the river to the Latin QuarterParis IdF
If its cold, youll love going to this restaurant for delicious fondue or raclette.Rue de Charonne Paris Île-de-France 75011
The streets radiating out from this square are wonderful to explore in the Latin quarter.Pl. de la Contrescarpe Paris IDF 75005
Supermarket, open daily until 21h30, open Sundays until 1pmRue du Bourg Tibourg Paris 75004
Nearest hospital for emergencies. Walk 2 minutes to our metro stop and take line 5 two stops to Saint Marcel. Its 2 minutes by taxi or 20 minutes walking across the bridge AusterlitzBoulevard de l'Hôpital Paris IDF 75013
Farmers market on Sundays until 2pm.Boulevard Richard Lenoir Paris IDF 75011
If its raining, duck into here and browse the books. Ask why this store is so famous.Rue Bûcherie Paris 75005
Check out the dive jazz bar of the Latin QuarterRue de la Huchette Paris IDF 75005
A low key bar/café popular with the locals. Almost always buzzing with a talkative crowdRue de Seine Paris Île-de-France 75006
A bit further out, but our favorite place that happens to be right next to the Louvre. Great for a coctail to relax after a day at the LouvreRue de l'Amiral de Coligny Paris Île-de-France 75001
For something off the tourist beaten path, go for a walk along this former rail-line-come-park.Paris 75012
Book ahead and you might have one of the best meals of your stay. Amazing wine selection you can spend hours going thru. Also has a cave to take home gift wines.Rue de Surène Paris Île-de-Franc 75008