About This Listing
Touring musician's studio apartment in Chicago's Logan Square neighborhood.
While I am a musician by trade, I like to design and create things. As you can see, my apartment is full of pieces that I've made from scratch or repurposed - old doors, plumbing pipe, milk crates, whatever else I can find that catches my eye! While most studio apartments in Chicago are tiny, this one is spacious with room for 2 in the full-size bed and one on the sofa if necessary. There is also a separate kitchen, dining room, bathroom with shower and tub, closet, and coin laundry downstairs.
This apartment is in Chicago's Logan Square neighborhood, on the near northwest side of the city. You have easy access to the Blue Line at Logan Square (to O'Hare, downtown, Wicker Park, etc.), and the Fullerton bus (east to Lincoln Park and the lakefront). The neighborhood is full of the best restaurants and bars in the city. Some of my favorites are Scofflaw (recently named the Best Bar in Chicago), Tula, Wasabi, The Boiler Room, and Revolution Brewing. There is also plenty of live music nearby at places like Cole's Bar and The Whistler. For your groceries, The Dill Pickle Food Co-Op is close-by, and Cermak Produce and Tony's are within walking distance.
Parking is safe, free, and relatively easy on nearby streets, and the area is extremely bike-friendly.
I am a professional musician and educator in Chicago, originally from Indiana. Other than playing music, I like to stay active, eat well, and hang out with my dog, Moose.
I ask that you treat my house with respect. Please take care not to damage any of my furniture or belongings, and clean up any messes you make. As long as the apartment looks as good when you leave as it did when you arrived, I will be happy!
No smoking inside the apartment - there is a back deck if you'd like to smoke.
Charles is very helpful and response very quickly! Even though the electric was accidentally out early in the morning, he helped to sort out quick! Very nice and artistic location with easily access transportation. Bus is right next to the door and walk to train in 10 mins. Nice neighbourhoods and it is real good for a short stay :)
Viewing on web seemed a good value economic solution to spending a week in W/City! The reality is somewhat different, first the good points, about this apt:
1. Once found its relatively near Logan Sq CTA Blue line.
2. Nrth Spaulding is reasonably quiet street for (website hidden) has a full range of amenities.
4. The apt always had plenty of hot water.
Now to the more basic truths:
1. Charles advised that the keys Had been left at Big Tony's pizzaria. Matters went rapidly downhill thereafter when access through the front door via the various keys provided did not work. 1 hour later after knocking on every door in the block a kind young lady showed me how to get in through the back gate. This whole episode repeated itself 2 nights later when in torrential rain I couldn't even get in through the rear gate and was rescued by another resident who was having equal problems, he eventually climbed over the fence. By now I was seething.
2. The apt is shabby and the bathroom dirty. Nail for hooks do not pass muster, especially as Charles continually request guests to respect his apt, the assumption being it is pristine, which it is certainly is not, more very down at heal!!
3. Charles left no information on local shops, but more pertinently try as I might I couldn't find a cup or mug in the apt so had to have my morning coffee in a bear glass, although he does have a cafeteire!! Really Charles even the most laid back musicians use mugs!!
4. Then there was the next door neighbours who parted loudly all Saturday night on the back porch, leaving their mess around all week.
5. What proved most galling is that whether Charles, kept on sending me emails to make sure that I left by 11am on the day of departure, which on the day after I arrived seriously hacked me off. Charles then compounded this misdemeanours by sending me further emails asking for access to retrieve some vital possession, to which I agreed, only for Charles to fail to appear, another black, black mark!!
6. Finally Charles failed to warn me about the renovations ongoing and access being required through an early morning knock on the door! So the entrance lobby remained dirty all week.
This review seems at odds with many parts of your stay in my apartment, possibly out of frustration for what seems like a mostly unpleasant trip for you, which I understand and apologize for.
Regarding the keys: I use the set of keys that were lent to you to get in to my apartment through both the front and back door with no problems, as do other guests that have stayed with me. When you told me that you had trouble with the back gate, I contacted the building manager first thing in the morning to ask him to check on it and repair it if necessary.
Regarding information on local shops: You asked me for recommendations for local bike shops, which I sent three within walking distance, and a cab service, which I recommended two. Both responses were sent within 30 minutes of your receiving your messages.
Regarding noise from the neighbors: You mentioned my neighbors during your stay, but said that they were "disarmingly nice" and that everything was "AOK" - implying that nothing needed to be done. Had you asked me to talk to the neighbors, I would gladly have done so.
Regarding your checkout: an 11AM checkout was listed when you booked your stay at my apartment and was displayed on the confirmation that you received from Airbnb. Sometimes this information is overlooked by guests, so I sent you two reminders, with you responding to neither.
Regarding my request to get in to the apartment: I was in need of something that I left behind and asked when you planned to be home the following day so I could swing by. You responded that you were leaving around 9:30am, but sent that message in mid-afternoon, after you had left. I thanked you for the response and did not make plans with you to come by the apartment or ask you to alter your plans to accommodate me in any way.
It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your stay in my place, but it seems necessary to give some sort of rebuttal to most of your points listed above.
Great place in Logan square..... Perfect for a short stay! Located near transportation and was clean and comfortable.
Clean, comfortable, and well decorated place in a great location. Charles was helpful and quick to respond to questions. The blue line is a 10 minute walk and there are several excellent restaurants and coffee shops in the neighborhood.
Charles apartment is well located, short walk to the metro so it is really easy to get to downtown. It's also close to lots of awesome restaurants and bars (a must try, Lost Lake!), perfect for evening plans. The neighbourhood is awesome, lively but peaceful at the same time. It's a small studio, but extra cosy for two people, beautifully decorated. We felt at home. Charles made it really easy for us to pick up the keys and quickly replied when we had questions. Totally recommend it!
This host has 18 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Charles
I am a professional musician living and working in Chicago, IL. I regularly travel the country for shows, in addition to teaching a few college courses. I love my tiny apartment, both cooking and being cooked for, my dog Moose, and music.