About this listing
Bouganvillea is the largest room in our lovely holiday apartment in a seaside village. There are 2 double beds and it is spacious so it is a great family room or can accomodate a group of up to 4 friends sharing a room.
Welcome to a tropical hideaway, in a seaside village in the North Coast of Trinidad, West Indies. The private apartment for rent is located about 8 minutes walk from Maracas Beach. Come and relax, de-stress and rejuvenate in a quiet country setting near the seaside. We offer a fully furnished apartment which can sleep an entire family or group of friends. It is a self-catering flat with a fully equipped kitchen and all amenities. We can arrange transport to and from the airport for our international guests, simply give us your flight details for a quote. We can even help plan your stay and arrange sightseeing adventures.
Bouganvillea is a large bedroom which contains 2 double beds
fully furnished kitchen - pots, pans, dishes, glassware, all appliances (stove, oven, full refrigerator/freezer, microwave)
dining room - dining room furniture
secured parking on premises which are fenced for your safety and comfort
USD 100 per couple/ 2 sharers for Bouganvillea room (off-peak)
USD 130 per couple/ 2 sharers for Peak Season (Carnival, Christmas, New Year's etc)
USD 40 per extra person, max 4 persons per room. Please note that while children under the age of 3 are free, older children will pay a rate of $25 per night.
Prices quoted are per bedroom, there are 2 bedrooms for rent in this apartment so please view separate listing if this room is not available for your stay. Please note that cleaning fees will be charged in accordance with the duration of your stay- USD 50 per week. If you wish to book the entire apartment please inquire in writing.
If you would like us to pre-stock the kitchen with food, please send us a list and we can organize this for your arrival.
Wondering what set's Maracas Hideaway apart from the rest? Let us count the ways!
- Prepare to be blown away by our Trini warmth, love and hospitality! We will cook you a hot local meal to welcome you when you check in. We can take you to the supermarket to get your groceries, currency exchange, and show you around the area to get you settled in.
- Less than 10 min walk to Maracas Beach, the most popular beach in Trinidad on the North Coast. Many shops and amenities for tourists. Sample our local cuisine, buy some souvenirs or local craft. Buy some fresh fish from the fishermen and cook it yourself for dinner!
- Lovely tropical weather all year around so you can enjoy sand, sea and sun, with some showers in between
- Experience our multicultural society and festivals- Divali, Eid, Christmas, Easter - each with their own traditions and traditional food
- You can sleep under the stars in the comfort of our porch if you like
- Bedrooms are air conditioned and windows keep out insects but you can enjoy the cool breeze if you like
- Take a nature adventure: enjoy a cool morning or afternoon stroll in our garden, nestled by the lush green hills. Be sure to take photos of the splendid yellow poui and rich orange blossoms of the immortelle, local fruits and vegetables grown specially for our kitchen. You can taste some of the local produce in season. See lots of butterflies and let the singing birds wake you instead of the alarm clock!
- Experience our local multicultural cuisine - a culinary feast to die for, homecooking at its best. Orders will be taken by our sweethand cook for local dishes for example dhalpourie and curried chichken, curried duck, doubles, shark and bake, breadfruit pie, oil down with saltfish, callalloo and coocoo, sada roti and choka, buss up shut, pastelle, Trini black (rum) cake and lots more.
- Book a cooking lesson with our chef to learn how to make your favourite local cuisine when you reluctantly leave
- Sample our local homemade fruit drinks, wines, varieties of ice cream, jams, Trini pepper sauce, anchar or kutchelar.
- Enjoy breakfast on Maracas beach when it is unspoilt and you have it all to yourself - truly an amazing experience to be treasured
-See the fish playfully flying out of the water or feel them swimming around you, tickling your feet
-Book island tours or transport to and from the airport, beaches, shopping areas with King David Tours
-Meet the locals in the neighbourhood, get a real feel of life in Trinidad
-Dine under the moonlight and stars
- Relax under the coconut trees and pick your own coconuts to enjoy the refreshing coconut water and jelly
- Barbeque your own meat or freshly caught fish
-Laundry service available US 25 per load (wash & dry)
bedroom, kitchen, dining area, balcony, garden with local produce
Interaction with Guests
While we do not live on the premises, we are there on weekends and will be present when we have guests to check you in and ensure you feel welcome. We are happy to assist with travel arrangements, sightseeing, local cuisine.
Maracas is a humble seaside village but our neighbours are very friendly and welcoming to our visitors. They will look out for you and if you give a friendly hello they will be happy to chat. Some of the villagers own local minimarts, shops or stalls along the beach.
There is a short cut through the village to the beach in less than 10 min. You are welcome to rent a car if you wish, otherwise, we can arrange for taxi to take you around. There are local taxis/minibuses on the main road which go into Port of Spain. You can park securely on our premises as it is fenced for your safety and comfort. We can arrange transportation to and from the airport if you require this.
Other Things to Note
Please note that internet reception is patchy in the North Coast due to the hills. We would advise our foreign guests to add a local package to their mobile phone to facilitate improved internet access.
Please note that smoking is not permitted in the apartment. Cleaning fees will be deducted if this rule is broken.
Cleaning fees of $50 per room per week are charged
No pets are allowed
Please note that only guests booked via Airbnb are allowed, extra guests are not permitted.
Damages will be deducted from security deposit.
I stayed here with a friend for Carnival March 2014. We had a great time. Leela was great, she made sure we had everything & took us grocery shopping. The house itself was very comfortable, clean, & we felt safe. We shared the house with another couple that was staying in the other room. They were nice & we hardly saw them. Maracas beach was a 10 min walk through the village, which was not bad at all. Neighbors/village was pleasant. The beach was amazing. The airport is approximately 1 1/2 hr away & POS was about half an hr away. Not too much struggle getting to the parade on Mon & Tues we linked up with a dependable driver. It worked out great for us during Carnival b/c we love the beach and we had access to it at all times esp on Ash Wednesday for the lime on Maracas Beach. I would def stay here again when I come back for Carnival.
During our vacation, we had a bag/wallet/passport stolen and a family member who had emergency surgery and was in ICU back in the states. This definitely put a damper on things and was EXTREMELY stressful. We thought our time at Maracas Hideaway would reduce that stress but it was exactly the opposite. Leela was not understanding of our situation and when we arrived at her place and realized we wouldn't feel safe staying in her home, we lost the money we paid for our reservation. Of course, the policy is the policy, but I believe in doing "the right thing" when someone has such misfortune on a "vacation". The other review about this destination indicates Leela and her family were staying in the house at the same time, which is the only way I would recommend staying at this location. Unless you are indigenous to this area, your safety is at risk in this village. Additionally, I got a "slick"/untrustworthy feeling from Leela during our dealings and was shocked by the scolding and manipulative ways with which she handled this very unfortunate situation.
Please note that this case has been mediated by Airbnb and they denied Jane's request for a full refund after reviewing the evidence.
Less than a week before check in, Jane emailed that she had an emergency, so would be returning to the US. On checking the Airbnb rules, she emailed that one of them would check in instead. I called her US phone in an attempt to make alternate arrangements with her only to find by email that she never left Trinidad, that her sister looked after the emergency and both she and her Trini boyfriend would be checking in on New Years day. So I prepared and my husband and I waited all day and emailed all day from Maracas. Late in the evening, she emailed that she was with family in Sangre Grande and would check in at noon Jan 2nd. My husband and I got into a terrible accident while returning the night of Jan1st. We too had family from London whom we would have loved to spend time with. I still went to check Jane and partner in on the 2nd, traumatized though I was from the accident. Instead I found a note tied to the gate.
All this time and effort wasted, a simple phone call would have sufficed but Jane refused to make it. Up until this point, she never indicated that her wallet was stolen--this would have happened during her stay with her own family. Please note that all our other guests -foreign and local have been walking to the beach over the years without having to worry about safety. The villagers are protective of our guests even during their midnight walks. Our area is fenced to protect our guests and the garden from the neighbour's chickens, cows etc from doing damage to our crops. Sorry you didn't give us a chance to prove to you otherwise Jane. Better luck next time. It is still a romantic, restful,healing place. My best wishes to you. Leela.
This host has 4 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews