About this listing
Stay in the middle of Pittsburgh's hottest neighborhood. Steps to lots of trendy shops, restaurants, coffee houses, and more. 3 miles or less to Pitt/CMU, museums, sporting venues, convention center. On public transit line--no car needed!
*Please send me a message to receive a quote, include your check-in and check-out dates and occupancy, since rates depend on length of stay and time of year. Further discounts for hospital personnel and those working on TV shows or films.*
This two story, one bedroom row house is a dedicated rental property on a quiet side street: you get complete privacy and quiet so you can really settle in and enjoy your visit to Pittsburgh.
It is possible to add a twin inflatable bed to the living room (modest fee applies) but it is a tight squeeze. This is a typical late 19th century laborer's house and because of the steep steps, is not recommended for children or individuals who have trouble navigating stairs.
- free WiFi
- fully equipped eat-in kitchen
- living room that seats four with TV w/ local channels & DVD player
- bedroom with queen bed
- brand new bath and laundry room
- all towels and linens, toiletries, hair dryer
- free on-street parking (around the corner, about 20 yards away)
- air conditioning unit in living room and bedroom
- great for short stays as well as extended stays
- keyless entry system - no scrambling around looking for keys!
Plus lots of little extras that make you feel more like the friend of a home rather than staying at an impersonal hotel:
- bookcase with games and books
- TV with local channels, DVD player
- DVD library
- welcome kit filled with information about the neighborhood, popular attractions, and recommendations for things to do and see during your stay
This property will likely not be a fit for you if:
- you usually stay in a hotel
- you'd dislike being on your own (including checking yourself in and out of the property)
- you feel uncomfortable in a working class, city neighborhood
- you find technology (logging onto WiFi, using TV remotes, keyless entry systems) to be a challenge
- navigating steep stairs would be a challenge
Part of the reason we can offer this property for about half the price of a hotel room is that we are energy and environmentally conscious and we ask our guests to be, too.
All of our properties feature:
- 100% CFL bulbs
- recycling glass, paper, and metal
- Energy Star-rated a/c window units
- energy-efficient heating system
- do only full loads of laundry
- ceiling fans to help cool rooms
- power strips cut down on "vampire power" usage
We ask guests to help do their part:
- turn off lights when leaving a room
- turn off fans and a/c units in summer, turn down heat in winter when leaving for the day
- turn off electrical devices when not in use
- reuse towels
Guests have complete access to the first and second floors of the property and it is 100% private. Keyless entry provides security and makes it easy to come and go.
Interaction with Guests
Once you book the space, you'll receive an email from me about parking, directions, and a property guide w/ more info about the property and neighborhood.
Once you check in I'm pretty much hands off. My philosophy is a bit different from many hosts and is simply this: you are coming to Pittsburgh for a purpose: to attend a conference, go to a class, attend a wedding, sightsee, catch up w/ old friends. You're not here to hear me jibber jabber on the phone to you every day--you're here to enjoy yourself.
But I am available by phone or email during your stay with questions or needs.
Are you looking for a walkable, authentic neighborhood close to everything? Welcome to Lawrenceville, a hip, trendy, up and coming urban, working class neighborhood. Check out my guidebook to see what's available just steps away from the house.
The shops sell everything from handmade, artisan soap to mid-century kitsch, all locally owned and operated.
The night life goes from the hipster to upscale and everything in between.
While the main thoroughfare of Butler Street is less than a block away, the house is tucked away on a quiet side street. So I think you get the best of both worlds!
Children's Hospital and West Penn Hospital are both 5 blocks away, and Shadyside Hospital is less than a mile away.
If you drive, there's street parking about 20 yards away (the property is on a fire lane, but there's parking close by).
Property is less than a block from a main bus line to get you to downtown, the strip district, shadyside, and oakland in minutes.
You can use public transit to get from the bus station/Megabus stop/AMTRAK to property in 15 minutes. You can use public transit from the airport to the property--for less than $5.
Other Things to Note
I love this neighborhood! I lived in this neighborhood about 15 years and would be happy to help with restaurant recommendations, steer you to local attractions I think you'll like, all with an eye to places often overlooked by native Pittsburghers and tourists alike.
Check in any time after 3:00 p.m., check out by 11:00 a.m. self checking in and out using keyless entry system.
Please make a reservation if the check in and check out dates are fixed, certain, and not subject to change. Absolutely no refunds will be made for early departures, shortened stays.
Sorry, but furry friends have to stay at home. This is also a smoke-free facility. All guests must be 21 years of age or older.
Maximum occupancy of two persons and a third if it is a baby or toddler. Kids are welcome, but the stairs are very steep.
WiFi is for checking email, doing web searches, and other basic functions; no online streaming of videos, no gaming permitted. Internet is free, so long as guests keep within their daily allowance. Guest responsible for all additional data/bandwidth overages, billed at $10/gig.