One room available in the Homes for Hackers house fully wired with Google Fiber gigabit internet.
Perfect opportunity to visit Kansas City and test out your latest app, startup idea or consumer hardware on a gigabit fiber-optic network. We now have a total of 18 ethernet jacks positioned in 7 different rooms in the house to plug directly into a hard line, accessing Google Fiber. We typically experience upload & download speeds of 800-900 Mbps over ethernet and 150 Mbps over wifi. One block from the Google Fiber Space.
Click on the Street View tab above to see a 3D tour inside the hacker house using (website hidden) Maps Street View.
The other rooms in the house are already in use by up to 4 startup entrepreneurs as part of the Homes for Hackers program. Excellent collaborative opportunity to bounce ideas off of other entrepreneurs and hackers that are also staying in the house. In fact, by renting this room you are directly supporting startups and entrepreneurs in Kansas City. Homes for Hackers is also a member of the KC Startup Village, around a dozen startups in a 2 block radius, including the 3 startups at this location. Find out more at HomesForHackerscom & kcstartupvillageorg.
Plenty of desk space around the house to work, with whiteboards in 3 different rooms.
The bathroom is shared. The accommodation itself is very basic. Kitchen is fully equipped and available for your use but breakfast is not included.
Ample parking spaces. Walking distance to the Country Club Plaza upscale shopping area and Westport restaurants/bars/coffee shops.
- Don’t do anything illegal in the house
- Please don’t have girlfriends/boyfriends sleep at the house without prior permission.
- Please clean up after making food in the kitchen within a couple hours.
- Please don’t leave the coffeepot on
- If you use anything in the kitchen, please make sure you leave it clean.
- The sewer pipes are REALLY old. Please don’t flush anything except paper and poop down the toilet. Flush often and please don’t use a lot of paper to overload the system.
Thanx for letting me stay at the hacker house while in town! I wasn't in the house much, but while there i had a pleasant experience. The other guys staying there where super cool and welcoming. My bed and room was comfy enough for me, and the neighborhood was fine. Walking distance to whatever i needed.
The Google Fiber Hacker House is a great place to connect to the Kansas City startup ecosystem. I found the residents of the house to be welcoming and friendly. Highly recommend.
The Hacker House is great! I came for the Google Fiber, but stayed for the awesome peeps : ).
* Find out beforehand which bedroom you'll be staying in, since it's possible that no one will be around when you arrive. There are bedrooms at the bottom of the stairs (with bunk beds), at the top right of the stairs, at the top left of the stairs, past the kitchen on the right, and past the kitchen on the left. The stairs to the two upstairs bedrooms are pretty steep, so make sure that you won't be in either of those rooms if that's a problem.
* If Ben has given you the door code and no one is around when you arrive, then just let yourself in. You'll also need to use the code to lock the door from the outside.
* The bathroom is found connected to the kitchen through the door to the left of the sink.
* The only other door (off the dining room) is just storage.
* The house's driveway is to the left of the house. Six months of the year there may be an RV parked there, but it doesn't go anywhere when it's here. One car can park between it and the street.
* If the driveway is blocked, then there's lots more parking space behind the house that you can get to using the alley. From the north, access the alley using Seneca Ave, between the utility pole & the low chain link fence. The alley is a dirt road and it's quite a bit bumpier from the south. However, you can access the alley from 45th Ave, or from a number of businesses on State Line Road.
Depending on the current guests, the bathroom can be single guys / hacker "clean". Organized & tidy, but not necessarily spotless. As long as you're aware of this and can live with it, then you'll love everything else about the Hacker House.
If you're staying long enough that you'll need the fridge or freezer, then depending on how many other guests there are, space may be an issue. Check out how much space you'll be working with before you make a grocery run.
Nice place, Unfortunately, Could not find many people to exchange ideas and experiences, as the site remained almost empty throughout my stay, but what a cozy place where you can test the full potential of fiber (website hidden) even alone. Place clean and as described I recommend.
My colleague Mike stayed here during my reservation, he said: My stay at the Hacker House was great. There was lots of working space, great Internet (including Ethernet jacks everywhere, including the bedroom), full kitchen facilities and a convenient location.
My stay was great. Ben made sure everything was setup for me and kept up with my hectic, delayed transportation. He even allowed me to stay an extra night to compensate for my late arrival. I got to talk with the guys at the house and hope I had stayed more to get to know them better. All in all, everything was perfect and I would certainly be back.
This host has 1 review for other properties.View Other Reviews