About this listing
Convenience, privacy & amenities will make your extended stay most enjoyable in our diverse Columbia Heights neighborhood. Close to so many great things in the city, and easily accessible by Metro Rail or Bus (or taxi cab). Full kitchen with all amenities!
Well-equipped pet-free basement apartment with everything one would need to enjoy Washington, DC from the vantage point of a local!
Our house is a 12-minute (0.6 mile) walk to the Columbia Heights Metro Station, which will take you just about anywhere you need or want to go.
Our house is also just two blocks from a Capital Bikeshare station, if you're interested in biking around town (for a fee). Plus, there are buses available right at the corner, if you need to go downtown (south) or the other direction, toward Silver Spring (to the north).
Looking for vegan food? How about Indian/Pakistani delicacies? Are you a locavore? Love great pizza? How about Ethiopian food? Mexican food? Wine bar? Great local beer joint? We have all of these and more just 10 minutes or less by foot from our front door, and we're happy to guide you and make recommendations for any other interest you may have.
Your basement apartment has...
a private bedroom with a Queen-sized bed
a Double-sized sofa bed big enough for two adults (just slightly smaller than a queen-size), in the main living space
a fully-equipped kitchenette with electric stove and oven, microwave oven, garbage disposer, portable water filter, cabinets, a mini-fridge to keep your perishables, pots and pans, and place settings for up to 6 people (plates, bowls, glasses, coffee cups, silverware, etc.).
a private bathroom with a shower stall (sorry, there's no bathtub)
clean towels (weekly) and fresh linens (bi-weekly), hand and body soaps, dish soap, facial tissues, and paper towels
has a security-alarm system for extra peace of mind (though now that we've lived here over a year, we hardly feel that it's necessary)
is located in a diverse neighborhood for you to explore, with people & families from all over the world
has a front porch you're invited to use (when it's not too hot or too cold outside)
We're looking forward to hosting you for your Washington, DC adventure, work assignment, or as a stopping point on your way to your own apartment in DC!
Guests have access to our laundry (washing machine and dryer) for $5 per load (soap included). The basement apartment is basically all yours! We only need to come through once per week with the recycling and trash.
Interaction with Guests
We interact with our guests regularly, but only as much as the guest is comfortable with. Since our guests pass through the living room/kitchen of our house, we often see and speak with them briefly whenever our paths cross. However, the basement is secluded from the rest of the house, and we only need to pass through the basement about once per week to take out the recycling and trash.
What we LOVE about our neighborhood:
1. It's a diverse collection of locals - both old and new.
2. There is a diverse age range in our neighborhood - especially with Howard University students and long-time residents both residing here.
3. We're close to a lot of great places to eat, drink and have fun. There's locally-sourced food and beer, a vegan restaurant, an amazing bookstore, little cafes and great Ethiopian coffee, diverse ethnic foods at reasonable prices, great local and regional beers, a 24-hour grocery store, etc...
4. We are less than a mile from the Historic U Street Corridor, which now puts us close to the most active, diverse and fun area of DC - from the 9:30 Club, the Black Cat, and U Street Music Hall to the Lincoln Theatre and Bohemian Caverns - we have so much great music nearby!
5. It's a beautiful, green neighborhood full of trees.
6. We're close to convenient shopping at the nearby Target, BestBuy, and Bed Bath & Beyond.
Public transit is everywhere in our neighborhood:
1. Bikes - for rent just 2 blocks from our house
2. Bus - stops just 1 block from our house, heading downtown and towards Silver Spring (Bus 70 or Bus 79)
3. Subway/Metro - 0.6 miles from our house, which is about a 10-15 minute walk (Columbia Heights Metro)
4. Taxi Cabs - easy to find on Georgia Avenue, just outside our front door...
Other Things to Note
We're happy to help with anything you might need, and are happy to answer questions, help you find what you need, or share items from our kitchen!
No smoking, no pets (we have a cat upstairs). Please observe our quiet hours from 11 pm to 7 am. Please do not bring any other guests, friends or acquaintances to the house without prior approval. Please remove your shoes upon entering the house, and take them with you down to the apartment.