Stay with Sherpa family in Kathmandu to get a real authentic experience. Our house is located close to the Bodnath Stupa, the most popular attraction in Katmandu.
This was my first time in Kathmandu, and I couldn't be happier that I had a chance to stay in this place while my visit. Ngima and his family were really hospitable and kind, always offering their help and appreciating my own freedom to come and go as I wanted. It was a pleasure to share some time with them. I would like to say special thanks to Ngima for telling all the stories, inviting me to see life of Sherpa community and trekking up to the Kopan Monastery with me one morning. It was all really mind opening.
Location of this home is perfect if you're not so into touristic places, but want to see how everyday life runs on the narrow streets of this lively city. Still Boudhanath Stupa is only few minutes walk away and bigger streets can be reached quite quickly too if needed. House itself is clean and cosy, and if electricity goes off (which happens quite often) you can still have light, thanks to solar panels. And if you need to be connected to the outer world, wifi works ok all the time.
It was a pleasure to stay with Ngima and his family and I can highly recommend this place!
If there is one, single reason, why people should book into this property, it is simply because of the amazing people you got to share the place with. The unassuming Ngima, as the head of the family, have many inspirational stories about his life and his community, which put me into shame thinking of how little I have contribute in my life. On a cold winter night, listening to his stories with a bottle of drink, chirped in by laughters from other family members, is just not a way of how I thought Im gonna spend my night in Kathmandu, but it is something to be remembered off.
Apart from this, Ngima himself is very well equipped to arrange for your trip. Whatever cross your mind, be it flying over himalaya or too-last-minute decision of gazing at Phewa Lake in Pokhara (I have fickle mind, hehehe), he would surely be able to arrange it for you.
The room itself is comfortable and I would say can fit 2 people easily. You have access to the toilet which is located right opposite the room, and kitchen is just downstairs. The location is prime as it is not within noisy Thamel, but instead just 10 minutes walk away from Boudhanath, which make a pleasant walk early in the morning. Having said that, it is only a 10 minute drive by taxi to Thamel. There is wifi, which works even when there is no electricity, and the fact that Ngima have his own car and driver made great flexibility to any of his guest's journey.
I had more than one reason to come back to this place. I wish more people would have the pleasure to share their time with this family :)
I had a good experience staying with Ngima's family. The house is clean, the food is good and my room was comfy.
The fast internet connection and the washing machine were a big plus for me. Most importantly I had the privilege to stay with a family that welcomed me in the kindest and most heartwarming way. The younger son Tashi showed me some of the most famous spots of Kathmandu which I had not discovered by foot without him. Big thanks also to Prawol for the guidance and help with all of my questions.
Ngima and his family are such a great and authentic way to experience Kathmandu, he is so helpful and knowledgeable about all of the things to see and do in Kathmandu and Nepal and happily helps to make the arrangements.
The location is good, not in the hectic city centre and close to the amazing Boudha Stupor which is such a cool place to shop, eat, drink and people watch.
wurde von Ngima vom Flughafen abgeholt, hat wunderbar funktionniert. das zimmer ist sauber, bett und kommode, klo gegenueber, waschbecken auch, leider keine dusche! sehr netter Familienanschluss, fragen immer, ob man noch was braucht, sehr aufmerksam. das Quartier liegt auf der anderen Seite von Thamel, daher immer mit dem Taxi rueber.
I had the pleasure of being Ngima's and Kami's first AirBnB guest in their house in Kathmandu. They and their kids took really good care of me and i had a couple of delicious Nepalese meals with them. I've know the family for many years and they are really nice and special people. Ngima has worked himself up from coming from a very poor family, to owning his own trekking company. He has even founded and helped finance 2 schools, a small hospital and a monastery in his remote home village near Mt Everest. And he has traveled to many different countries. It is very inspiring to hear his stories.
Here are some things that will be helpful to know before you stay here:
* The private bedroom is basic but quiet and clean
* There are occasional scheduled power outages in Kathmandu, but they have some battery powered lights throughout the house to get by during these periods that can last a couple of hours
* Since Ngima runs his trekking business out of his home, they have free Wifi. That was a huge plus to me. It even works during power outages, since they have back up power.
* The house has a nice rooftop terrace. Great for lunch (and probably dinner / breakfast as well during the right season).
* The bathroom has a combined shower / toilet. It all works fine, but it may be surprising to guests who are not used to this setup. I think it's pretty common in Nepal.
* The house is nice and has 3 stories (your private guest room is at the second floor), located on a small side street. It's hard to find by yourself, but Ngima or his driver (yes he has a driver for his trekking business) can pick you up at a convenient place. I think they can even pick you up from the airport for a reasonable fee. Ask Ngima.
* The Bodhnath Stupa is about 15 minutes away on foot. I used an offline map on my phone to find the shortest way. I walked over during early morning (was awake early due to jetlag). It's a fantastic place to breath some spirituality and have a great cup of coffee in one of the coffee shops over there (i went to Aryia Cafe).
Overall I highly recommend staying with Ngima, Kami and family. They are very nice people and they will make sure your stay in Kathmandu will be great.
This is the final rate, including any fees from the host and Airbnb.