Stay onboard at a renovated ship from 1929 on the Amstel river. The boat has central heating, hot water, solar energy, located next to a park, WiFi, outside deck, and a great 360 degrees panoramic view. You have your privacy whenever you want.
Beautiful houseboat/ship on the Amstel river, 15 minutes from city center by bike or public transport. Boat is located next to the Martin Luther King park - so it's really quiet as there are no other houses nearby (except for neighboring boats). In the summer you can swim in the Amstel, sit outside on the deck in a Fatboy or relax in a hammock.
There is broadband internet (via wifi) and heating for the colder days.
1. Boats were built the move stuff, not people. Therefore the ceilings are not very high. If you are taller than 1.85m, you will not be able to stand up straight everywhere.
2. Streetview: these images were shot during the Parade street festival. This is a 2 weeks festival in August - which is great, fun, but noisy. For the rest of the year, the park is quiet and there are no fences or porta potties either.
3. I can't host more than 2 persons.
Please note that I'm not offering the entire houseboat. It includes the depicted bedroom - and of course you can make use of the living room, bathroom, and the deck. I will be there as well ;-)
* By car. Directions provided by your gps/satnav or (website hidden) Maps are very accurate. Generally you can park the car in front of the house, at cost. Parking meters in Amsterdam are not very friendly - they don't except cash, only Dutch debit/credit cards. Probably easier is paying with your mobile phone using Parkmobile. See (website hidden)
* By public transport.
- From Schiphol, you can take a train to either Amsterdam Central Station or Amsterdam RAI. From Amsterdam Central Station, take tram 4 to Victorieplein (around 20 minutes). From Amsterdam RAI, take tram 4 to Victorieplein (around 5 minutes). It's a 7 minutes walk from Victorieplein to my place, by following Rijnstraat in southern direction. When you get to the big junction, do not cross the bridge, but cross the park on the left side of the bridge.
* By taxi. Taxis are quite expensive in the Netherlands and certain rates are fixed. From Schiphol expect approx. €40. The trip from my area to Schiphol is fixed at €33.
Hope to welcome you on board of this magical boat.
Interaction with Guests
I like to ensure my guests have a great stay in Amsterdam. Helping them out with their questions and needs. I'd love to share live experiences and having great conversations if my guests are open to that. Otherwise, I'm just a fly on the wall.
* Close to both the city center, as well as the highway and train stations
* Many shops and supermarkets in the neighborhood, open from 8am to 2am.
* Next to a park
* Quiet at night
* By public transport:
It is a 7 minutes walk to Victoriaplein. Here you find busses and trams, bringing you to several locations including downtown in about 10 minutes. There is also a nightbus (#354) that runs every 30 minutes during the weekend and less frequent on weekdays.
* By bike:
Amsterdam is the bike capital of the ... world? Anyhow, bring your own bike or rent one (for around €10 a day) and extend your radius, avoid pain in your feet or being dependent on Public Transport
If you have a Car2Go subscription, bring your card. There are over 250 electrical Smarts.
Other Things to Note
Free access to most museums!
I have 2 cards (aka Museumkaart) that provide free access to most museums in the Netherlands (incl. Anne Frank, van Gogh, Rijksmuseum). You can borrow them and obviously must be returned (as they cost €120). If you need them, please let me know.
Food: we are vegetarian - you can stock meat or fish in the refrigerator but upon your leave, take it with you.
Toilet: the boat has pumps to get dirty water to the sewer system onshore. Please do not throw anything in the toilet except anything that comes out of your body.
Smoking: we are non-smokers - you can smoke outside on the deck, whatever burns.
Shoes: we ain't Japanese, but prefer if you take off you shoes indoor.
Pets: we have a cat - he is young and lively - but not allowed in your bedroom.
Heater: when it does cold, you can switch on the heater (and switch it off when you leave or go to bed)
Key: I'll give you a key to the house and obviously, return it
Other folks: Do not bring in any other people unless we know upfront
Rules: we don't like rules. But at the same time it can help build stronger relationships and understanding - as we all come from different backgrounds.
Martin is a very nice host, we had to amazing days in Amsterdam and his house Boat. Thank you!
It was a pleasure to stay at Martins housboat. Its really nice, cosy and such a authentic way to live in Amsterdam. Martin is a really nice guy he ist friendly and helpful.
The housboat is in a calm district and if you wanna go to the City Center you can go by Tram 4 very easily.
The boat was clean and nice!
Our stay at Martins houseboat was great. It was beautiful and defenitely worth a try.
At winter times it might be a little too cold in the bedroom, but in summer it should be great to sleep there.
You only need 15 - 25 min to the city centre by taking tram no. 4.
Martin is a lovely host and gave us some really useful tipps during our stay at amsterdam.
The uniqueness of this houseboat was all we hoped for and more. Simple design, clean, comfortable and a huge bed. Although we didn't meet Martin due to his schedule he provided us with Museum cards and a spare couple of canals tours.
The train is around a 20 minute stroll or tram is a little closer. This meant a very quiet and peaceful sleep.
Caramel the cat was a great substitute host.
Would definitely stay again.
It is the best experience to live Amsterdam!!! Just a few minutes by walk from the tram and the city centre, on a beatiful river, near a windmill...and the boat is really wonderful, the bed very confortable, all very spacious, the evening we take a bath in the bath tub, it was really romantic and refreshing!!!
All was unforgettable!!!
Martin is really friendly and available, is a very interesting person!!!
We recommend this houseboat, we think is the best accomodation to live your holiday in Amsterdam!!!
Thank you so much Martin!!!!
Martin est un hôte super sympa, il nous a mis à l'aise dès notre arrivé.
Le bateau est plus qu'à la hauteur des photos et il est très charmant.
Martin nous a donné des astuces pour se déplacer et les endroits à visiter.
Le bateau est situé à quelques minutes à pied du Tram (ligne 4 pour aller au centre ville d'ailleurs) et quelques minutes de transports ensuite.
Quand nous reviendrons à Amsterdam nous louerons sans hésiter son bateau.
See you soon Martin.
Martin was very helpful and very understanding especially in let us do a late check out.
The boat is cosy and the atmosphere quite and magical.
A unique experience!
I am born and raised in Amsterdam. Have been travelling extensively and came to the conclusion that Amsterdam is one of the most fantastic places to live. Besides the beauty of the city, people are generally quite open minded and can express their feelings in English (or at least show you the way to the nearest coffee house).
Next to that, I have a 12-year old daughter, a 3 year old cat and love to hang out. Music is a big passion, as well as kickboxing, nerdy stuff and art festivals. Maybe you run into me at Burning Man (without the hat).