About this listing
This amazing duplex is located in the heart of Portland's most unique neighborhoods. Alberta Arts District always has something unbelievable to look at (people riding bikes while juggling), amazing restaurants to eat at (home to Portland's culinary creativity), fun pubs to have a drink (locally brewed beers won't disappoint), and loads of independent stores to purchase gifts (adorable dresses, funky jewelry, await you). The best part is the house is in the heart of the area. It's the location you hope to get when book a vacation rental. Walking distance to all on Alberta, 15 minutes from the airport, 10 minutes to the heart of the city. There bus stop is a block away making public transportation a breeze. If you have a car there is a free off street parking all around.
One major perk about renting this house is the coupons our lovely neighbors have shared for our guests. Frock Boutique, Tin Shed, The Wax Skin Spa, I Am Yoga (bikram yoga studio) Garnish NW Store, Digs Inside and Out, Mimosa Studios, Bin 21, Cork Bottle Shop, Crafty Wonderland....You get discounts to all these wonderful places! So eat, drink and shop- all a stroll away and all at a discounted price!
High Gear (the upper level of the duplex) has 4 bedrooms, and 2 bathrooms. An open living, dining, and kitchen area. The first floor houses 3 of the bedrooms. 2 with queen beds and the third with a bunk bed (double lower and twin above). The first floor has a full bath with walk in shower. The second floor houses a fourth bedroom, loft area, and full bathroom.
The kitchen is fully stocked from coffee grinder to microwave oven to blender. You will be able to cook up a feast and eat in comfort at the wood dining table adorned with beautiful dishes.
Outside there is a small front porch to take in your morning coffee. The side yard has a large picnic table, a super cool kids play structure, teeter- tooter, and yard games. A fun spot to run free!
The house had been newly gutted and remodeled using sustainable and local materials, and has inspiring touches throughout the house. It promises to be one of the best vacation rentals in all of Portland. The house was designed only as a vacation rental , it's well thought out for travelers needs, and you won't see personal belongings in closets. The house and linens are professionally cleaned and the house is fanatically maintained!
For larger groups, this home can also be rented with the lower unit (https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/775426) which has an additional 3 bedrooms and sleeps 6 for a total of 15 people.
The whole house is yours.
Terms and Conditions- High Gear & Low Gear – Front Break & Rear Break_2105
1. CHECK-IN TIME IS AFTER 4:00 pm PST AND CHECK-OUT IS 11:00 am PST. No early check-in or late check-out unless approved in advance. You will be charged $100 early or late check out fee for checking in/out at times different then 4pm and 11am.
2. This is a NON SMOKING house. Smoking is allowed outdoors.
3. No PETS – Tenants are not permitted to bring pets into the house.
4. SECURITY DEPOSIT- A security deposit of $500 is required. It is fully refundable within (14) days of departure assuming the house is left in good condition. Tenant waives the right to their deposit by violating any of the written policies. A portion, or the entire amount, of security deposit will be kept by the owner for any damage caused by the tenant to the rented property. Tenant will also be liable for the cost of repairs for any damages that exceed the amount covered by the security deposit.
5. CLEANING Fees & Lodging Taxes – Tenant shall pay a non-refundable cleaning fee of $95 for low gear and $115 for high gear/front break/rear break plus 12.5% Portland lodging taxes.
6. Tenants are expected to uphold the following responsibilities:
a. No damage is done to the house or its contents, beyond normal wear and tear.
b. No parties in the house.
7. CANCELLATIONS – If you need to cancel up to one month in advance, you get the full payment back minus any service fees. Between a month and 2 weeks you get half the payment minus any service fees. Two weeks up to reservation there is no refund. Any changes that result in a shortened stay or early departure do not warrant any refund.
8. RATE CHANGES – Rates subject to change without notice.
9. FALSIFIED RESERVATIONS – Any reservation obtained under false pretense will be subject to forfeiture of advance payment, deposit and/or rental money, and the party will not be permitted to check-in. This includes false or misleading statements about the number of guests who will be staying at the property.
10. Maximum people allowed in the houses – Low Gear= 8/ High Gear= 10/ Front Break= 10/ Rear Break =12 at any time unless prior arrangements have been made with owner. This rule is established so that there aren’t parties at the home.
11. Quiet hours- Please respect the neighborhood with keeping the noise down after 10:00pm-8:00am.
12. WRITTEN EXCEPTIONS – Any exceptions to the above mentioned policies must be approved in writing in advance.
We felt welcome.
The description was accurate.
The location was ideal for our purposes.
Super great spot. Right on Alberta near tons of great restaurants. No complaints whatsoever.
Beautiful home right in the middle of a fascinating neighborhood. Definitely a place we would recommend. The house was perfect for our extended family of seven people, close to public transportation and lots of parking. We loved the bike lights, the outdoor play structure, and the open lofty feel of the home. It was so well decorated and obviously well thought out for a vacation rental.
AMAZING! The house was situated right in the middle of everything happening on Alberta St! It was beautiful, clean, and very comfortable. Walking distance to fantastic restaurants (some of which offer discounts for staying at the house!) It was super hot during our stay, but the air conditioning worked great and there were a couple fans provided. The kids loved the play area, and it was nice to see a highchair and pack & play provided. Our only regret was only being in town for 1 night! Next time we want to stay longer!
What starts off as being the perfect location follows up with a really well set up, equipped, and comfortable place. The property has been designed to serve as a vacation rental. Everything you might need is at your fingertips. Very fast internet, easy to control temperature, and lots of space as well.
Perhaps the best part is the host. She was constantly available for questions, and responded back in minutes. I texted looking for something in the kitchen, and it honestly was faster to wait for a response then to start looking.
Though we stayed in this place as a couple, it is well set up to handle a large family or group. I particularly like the ability to barbeque outside in the shared picnic area while not missing any of the exciting action on Alberta. If you don't want to cook, every conceivable cuisine at every price point is near by.
We had a great time, and as we are frequent travelers to Portland, plan to stay here again.
Our hosts were incredibly communicative and helpful. The house was big enough for our group of 5, and quite gorgeous and we didn't want to leave! Right on Alberta, across from a great coffee shop and right in the middle of all of the action. Would definitely stay there again if I were traveling with a big group.
Amazing, Amazing home. Michelle was great and very accessible both during booking and just before the trip. The house was in the PERFECT location--close to bars, restaurants, the freeways, the airport, cool shopping. It was just phenomenal. If you are looking for the quintessential Portland experience, look no further than Shift. The street noise is a little loud, but we were all able to sleep, including my 2 year old daughter. If you are bothered by noise you may want to book elsewhere, but the trade off is that you won't be in the heart of the action of have the accessibility to bars and restaurants that Shift offers. We wanted for nothing during our stay. The house is fully stocked and upgraded with everything you could need, including stuff for kids like a high chair and pack and play. They've really thought of everything. My one recommendation to the owner would be to add a video of the home to this listing because quite frankly, the photos don't do it justice. This time I came with just my mother and my daughter and invited my local sister and husband to stay and for high gear (the upstairs rental) we had more than enough space. Next time I'll be back with my husband and son because I can't imagine staying anywhere else when we are in Portland. Thanks again for everything, we'll see you soon!
This host has 59 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Michelle
We are a husband and wife team who love to travel and love designing houses. Hence the start up of our business Encircle Design and Build. We adore Portland and think its, if not the, then one of the best cities in the USA. We are excited to share our home and neighborhood with you as it offers so much. In the house there is a list of recommendations of what to do and see in PDX!