About this listing
NOTE PRICES ARE PER ROOM & NOT FOR THE WHOLE HOUSE. Three beautiful double bedrooms with two bathrooms (one ensuite), rented out individually, available in and old style South African house. Oregan Pine floors, pressed iron ceilings, fire place in dining room and living room, fully equipped kitchen.
The house, which sits on a hill, opens up from the living room onto a large beautiful deck nestled in trees and over looking the garden.
Each bedroom is decorated with beautiful artwork, and include queen size beds, small desks with chairs and cupboards.
The main bedroom has an en suite bathroom with doors leading out to garden and to a private outdoor shower beneath a large old Jacaranda tree.
The second bedroom, beautifully decorated, with a queen size bed and a in-room sink, has a view onto the garden.
The second bathroom includes a shower, sink and toilet.
There is ample closet space and shelves in the house. A security gate exists between the living area and bedrooms so you can sleep peacefully.
Included in the house are satellite TV, Alarm system connected to armed response and WIFI. Laundry and cleaning of cottage included once a week. Laundry at an extra cost.
We are a 10 minute walk from the vibrant and trendy 7th street in Melville. Melville, the cultural hub of Johannesburg, is well known for it's coffee shops, restaurants and lively nightlife.
There is public transport but it is best and quite cheap to rent a vehicle. Johannesburg is a huge city with vast number of things to see. While you can walk to a few places, most of the time a vehicle would be needed (taxi or rental). Also you cannot walk around at night for security reasons.
I have four dogs... who will give a very warm and LOUD welcome to the house but then settle down and get on with their own thing... if you have a problem with dogs please let me know and we will try to make arrangements.
PLEASE NOTE THAT I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANYONE WHO HAS NOT FILLED IN THEIR PERSONAL PROFILE PROPERLY - PHOTOS INCLUDED - AND BEEN VERIFIED. THANK YOU.
No real rules except that smoking should be done outside on the terrace. No overnight visitors please! Security gate must be closed at night and when you leave the house. If something does not work, please let me know and I will attend to it immediately. If you break anything please tell me. Enjoy yourself and please look after my house! :)
My host may be feel welcome in so many ways:
1) She picked me up, willingly!, from my hotel and took me to her place. (My hotel wasn't that far away, but, nevertheless, this was not something she had to do. And she did so willingly and with a smile and a laugh, and we got off to a wonderful start, which never ended.
2) She introduced me around to people in the vicinity.
3) She had a lot of food she had purchased just for me.
4) We talked: shooting the breeze.
5) She introduced me to her friends; told me about places I might visit.
6) Her house was just as advertised! Beautiful, clean, good wifi: it was an absolute pleasure to sleep there, work there, walk around in the house: just be there. A pleasure! My housemate, her other houseguest, was wonderful. This is important. When you share a house you don't want to end up with a housemate you cannot tolerate. Her judgement of whom to have in her home foreclosed the possibility of a housemate nightmare. Further, even with a housemate, I had my own private bath. I wanted for nothing!
7) The neighborhood was great. You walk just 10 minutes or so and you're in the heart of Melville with wonderful cafes and restaurants and street vendors. This is where I would meet my friends. It was the best place for me to stay in Jozi. The best. I wish I could go again. Tomorrow!
Mariella is great: super welcoming, extremely helpful, and very considerate. The house is great, too: Comfortable, beautifully decorated, clean, and I love the four dogs...Location is very convenient, as well. What can I say....if I could stay forever, I would!
This flat is an wonderful oasis and an island we immediately fell in love with. We spent a great time there. Unfortunately we never had the chance to meet Mariella. But her nice friend, her great neighbor and her cool dogs gave us a warm welcome.
This host has 7 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Mariella
I am a Swiss photojournalist who grew up in Kenya. I currently spend time between Johannesburg and Nairobi. I travel quite a lot but there is always someone on my property as I have some dogs who need caring for when `i am gone :)
Although the cottage is self contained, I or a friend will always be around to help you out in anyway so that your stay in comfortable.