About this listing
Greatest Location! Large, classy, timeless, comfortable, private apartment out of an 1890's novel in Williamsburg, Brooklyn one block from the East River. So easy to get to Manhattan, and all the best places in the "Burg" Wifi/cableTV/air.
Fireplace works, but the place is kept warm in the winter by central heating, and cool in summer by air conditioning.
Greatest location on the Northside Williamsburg, Brooklyn Waterfront scene, my apartment is a wood beamed classic, with hard wood floors and restored original brick wall. It is the top (entire third floor) of a 1894 restored building on a very nice semi residential street block. The nicely outfitted apartment, "the country in the sky" as I refer to it, has a beautiful totally functional "Peerless" antique prewar stove for cooking, generous amounts of pots, a wood burning fire place and a full size refrigerator in the kitchen. The feelings are cozy, warm, cabin like yet elegant. The kitchen and living room are in the same open area. There is a dining room table that seats 4, a beautiful brand new couch that folds down to become a very comfortable queen size bed that sleeps 2. Beyond the living area is the large master bedroom with a full size bed that sleeps 2 with a large antique dresser and 2 riverside windows. Off the master bedroom is a large tiled classic bathroom with an antique skylight and large tub with shower, and a small bedroom with a twin size bed and riverside window that is nice as a separate rest area or a great place to put your luggage and things.
My location is the greatest and safe.10 minutes maximum in a cab or car service over the Williamsburg Bridge and you are in Manhattan. It is a short walk (3 min) to the North 6th Street EastRiver Ferry ( the scenic quick river route to Midtown Manhattan or lower Manhattan, please check schedules). Subways: L train ( gray line): First stop in Brooklyn, only one stop to Manhattan and a neat 10 minute walk passing shops, restaurants and street vendors to the very frequent Northside L train subway stop at Bedford Ave and North 7 St, (Everything you want to pick up to take back to the apartment is on Bedford Ave or Kent Avenue which are the walking routes to the subway). The JM subway that goes over the Williamsburg Bridge with wonderful views of the river and NYC skyline to lower Manhattan (Chinatown etc), is a little further (13 min walk ) through the South Side. After a night out in the neighborhood, you will find this quiet, comfortable, timeless place to come home to that takes up the third floor of a restored Williamsburg house. All East River parks are a short walk away with their spectacular river and skyline views. During the warm months the weekend flea/food markets down Kent Avenue/North 8 on weekends are fun and back dropped by the river and Manhattan skyline. Grand Street River Park is only a block and a half away. I love going there in the mornings with a cup of coffee and taking in the NYC view. The quaint restaurants and music clubs are amazing and abundant, the Williamsburg Market has all the groceries you need and frankly the only reason I would leave the "Burg" would be to go to a museum or ice skating at Rockerfeller Center. Indoor Flea Market on North 7th right off Kent Ave, "Mast Brothers Chocolate" on North 3rd off Berry, "Beer Garden" restaurant lunch, dinner, brunch with live music on Friday nights on North 3rd and Berry, "Sea" restaurant (Thai) on North 6, "Sweet Water" (Bistro) restaurant on North 6,
"Aurora" (Northern Italian) with great brunches, lunches and dinners is right around the corner as is "Coxley's" sport bar with 40 beers on tap and great chicken wings on Grand St. "Teddy's" rest and bar (American Bistro) on North 8, a landmark serves brunch, lunch and dinner and also has music sometimes at night, and the "Knitting Factory" music performance space and bar is 6 blocks away on Metropolitan. The best NY steak house, "Peter Luger's" reservations only, is in the vicinity.
The floor is divided in 4 areas: upon entering you are in the kitchen and living, dining room with a wall and door that separates this space from the large bedroom in the front, the large tiled bathroom and the smaller front bedroom. The living area can easily convert to a sleeping area for 2. The apartment is adorable and sleeps four comfortably. Much quieter than most apartments in the area. Heat, air conditioning, wifi, fine linens/towels and kitchen utensils are provided for guest.
Full laundry drop off service and dry cleaners is available a couple of blocks up the street at "Berry Cleaners" or 302 Bedford Ave. My personal assistant and great friend "Azul" and I will check with you on your arrival time, hand over keys and be close at hand for anything you need during your stay.
The apartment is an entire floor, so please limit yourself to it. Wifi is included and of course help yourselves to my spices, tea, coffee, anything in the refrigerator, and feel free to browse through my lovely books.
Interaction with Guests
I and my friend and assistant Azul are always close at hand and want your stay at my place in NYC to be the best. Never hesitate to call or communicate with either of us for any tips, suggestions, directions etc...
The neighborhood feels like a small village. It is very safe and has such a mixture of different foods, cultures, and restaurants. The Manhattan skyline views along Kent Ave can get no better and the wonderful Pier off North 5 on a Sunday afternoon is full of families, tourist and the occasional fisherman. During the warmer months there are outdoor flea markets and food markets of North 8 on the East River side. Bedford Avenue (3 blocks away) on the North and South side is filled with non chain restaurants, bars and shops.
Subways: North 7 and Bedford first stop in Brooklyn for the super frequent L subway (gray line) is an entertaining short10 min walk. Once you are on the train in 5 minutes you are in Manhattan going east to west underneath 14th Street which makes it easy to connect to all the lines going uptown or downtown.
The JM subway is further (15 min walk to Marcy Ave stop) but goes over the Williamsburg Bridge and directly takes you downtown to China town, Little Italy, City Hall.
The buses are also close by(one around the corner).
The EastRiver Ferry is literally a three minute walk from the front door on North 6 and Kent and is the scenic quick way to get into Manhattan. Schedule is less frequent than subway though so be sure to check it.
A car service arrives in 5 minutes and charges $15 and up to take you into (email hidden)ce cars.
The most important thing I want is for you and your family to feel at home and have the best of times during your stay at my apartment. Let me know anything I can assist you with before arriving and throughout your stay. Its a cool place in a cool neighborhood. Here are the rules I 'd appreciate you following:
1. Respect other occupants that are in the building especially in the hallways, and limit yourselves to my third floor apartment. I know you are on vacation, but try to be noise considerate early in the mornings and after 10 pm at night.
2. Please lift your luggage if checking in or out early/late instead of rolling due to the hardwood floors in the hallways and the apartment.
3. Be neat, do your own dishes and beds and respect the nice furnishings we have provided you.
Please put all food in the refrigerator especially if it is in an opened container or bag. I have no roaches or pest and want to keep it that way!
4. Separate the recycling from garbage in the appropriate bags we provide. Tuesday night is the night to set out the bottles and rinsed plastic food containers in the clear bags provided. Friday night is garbage night. Either I or my assistant will pass by to pick it up on those nights, if you can't put it out yourself.
5. Do not leave any appliance on if you are not in the apartment. This includes the portable air conditioners which should be turned off or at least to low when you are out of the apartment.
6. Do not leave the tub running if you are not in the apartment.
7. Do not leave the stove or fireplace going if you are not in the apartment.
8. Please contact me or my asisstant via airbnb, calling or personal email for any doubts, wishes or concerns.
9. Do not dispose of anything like tampons, diapers, or paper towels in the toilet.
Only toilet paper please! Use the garbage can in the bathroom for tampons, Q tips, paper towels, diapers etc.
10. Do not loose the keys to the house or the apartment. $250 lost key charge.
11. Please do not leave food out on the counters, top of the refrigerator or table. Put all food items in the refrigerator. With food containers that are put in trash or recycling, make sure they are rinsed. There is a steel garbage can with a lid under the ladder going to the roof in the hallway. Please put your daily garbage tied with a twisty there. Recycling gets put out every Tuesday evening in the clear bags provided. Trash gets put out in black garbage bags on Friday night.
12. Enjoy my space, you are my friend(s), and let me or my wonderful assistant and friend Azul, know anything we can assist you with.
12. If you need to have somethin(website hidden)ed to you while staying at my place, I will facilitate my postal service address a few blocks up the street so you can be around on the town instead of sitting in the apartment waiting for a package.
13. No smoking of any kind in the hallway or apartment please!
14. Do not be drinking, smoking or hanging out on the fire escape. No children ever on roof or fire escape. These are to be used only as a fire escape!
15. As you leave the building's street door on the first level, make sure the door shuts behind you. I nor anyone else in the building have ever had a theft issue, the neighborhood is super safe, but it is NYC.
New climate control picture window in the spacious, elegant, well equipped kitchen/living room from which you see the tops of trees. It gives the sense of being outdoors! Sofa folds down too a very comfortable queen size bed to become a third sleeping opt
Azul and Maria were great in the lead up to our arrival and Azul was really flexible about meeting up and then showed us around the place. The apartment is everything it promises - its a great oasis away from Manhattan but close enough to all the great things around Williamsburg and a short trip on a really regular subway across the bridge. It also has one of the best showers I have ever used! Would totally recommend it to anyone!
Thank you, Maria and Azul. The apartment was perfect. Great location for exploring Williamsburg and Brooklyn. I'm sure we will be staying with you again!
Azull was vers kiendly with us, and we appreciated his welcome wehnelt we arrived and wehnelt we need ligoter for the gas.
Excellent place with a nice view !
Azur was very cool and helpful.
Good place to stay in NY !
The apartment was clean, cozy and impeccably charming. As pictured - in a great location near great restaurants, shops and vibes. Azul was extremely accommodating and the entire process was a breeze. Would stay there again!
Nice place in a great location. Our host was very friendly and helpful. He was able to offer excellent recommendations for places to go in the area.
We loved Williamsburg and would come back to this apartment.
friendly host, place was clean, good location
About the Host, Maria
I love life and appreciate all that has come my way. Every day is a blessing though I never have enough hours in the day to do all I have to do or want to do. While I am not in NYC, where I left an excellent freelance graphic design career working with Conde Nast Publications lastly at Vanity Fair, my husband and I maintain a private reserve in Costa Rica where we cherish and protect acres of primary and secondary rainforest. My favorite book is "The Unvanquished" by William Faulkner, which I read in Costa Rica, while pregnant with my son, where we were living on our reserve in a tin shack without electricity. A total Bliss! I love my gem in Williamsburg. I am involved and have sponsored many cultural events in the neighborhood. I love to ride horses! I deliver calves, raise chickens, tilapia, dogs, cows, and a beautiful son. I fix roads, love to cook, tutor, love modern dance, abstract art, and music of many types. Mother, wife... go fishing? You bet.