About This Listing
This one has everything, including a fireplace in the master bedroom!
The cozy 1953 cottage exterior belies its size, amenities, the groovy modern interior that awaits you. Offstreet parking for up to three vehicles + additional on-street parking, all at no charge.
Brand spanking new renovations, original red oak hardwood floors, comfortable accommodations, and being close to everything make this great '50's bungalow--1250 square feet, three bedrooms, one bath in the hip but quiet and friendly Crestview neighborhood--the perfect destination for your Austin getaway! Great layout for families, couples, or friends heading to Central Texas.
Many thoughtful amenities have been included in this little B&B, whether your interests run to the Mid-Century but very modern feel of the place, to the well-appointed kitchen with a shelf of regional cookbooks and a freezer full of frosty beer mugs, to comfy chairs with a good reading light over your shoulder, or to the luxurious 400 thread-count all-cotton bed linens.
With all the comforts of home, you can start the day lounging on the big, cushy sofa in the living room with a big mug of hot coffee. If your day starts with your clan whipping up a tasty Texas breakfast, you will enjoy the open plan of the living room and kitchen, or you can grab a stool and hang out over the counter while they're rustlin' those pots and pans.
Those pots and pans go well beyond the beat-up skillet and saucepans you find in your typical vacation rental. This kitchen is well stocked in case you are folks who like to eat well, even when eating in! You'll find most everything you're likely to have at home, from ordinary to the specialty. Heading out to the big deck out back for margaritas under the big oak tree, and need a blender and some salt for the rim of your glass? No problem. Food processor? We got that. Champagne bucket? Check. Lasagna pan? You betcha!
The pantry is stocked with all the basics you wouldn't use up during your stay--flour, sugar, ketchup, mustard (spicy and regular), that margarita salt--those sort of things. You'll find the rest only two blocks away at the Minimax supermarket, a jewel of the neighborhood since 1953, but updated to accommodate the tastes of the residents of this upscale retro neighborhood. Whether your cravings run to a bag of Cheetos or a good bottle of wine--or you simply need diapers for the little one--it's right there.
When you get back from your day's activities, you'll find three very comfortable bedrooms (which sleep up to 7) waiting for you. There's even room for #8 if your crazy cousin takes that big comfy sofa.
When you come in for a landing, you want all the creature comforts, right? The huge Master bedroom offers a soothing and restful start--and end--to your day with a comfortably firm King bed, TV with expanded cable, a wood-burning fireplace (and a stack of wood just steps away), and private access to the deck A clever chair in the Master can become a comfortable twin bed as needed.
The roomy second bedroom offers a Queen bed, and you'll find a Double in the third bedroom, which also has the benefit of privately accessing the large deck out back. Generously-sized closets, comfortable beds, luxurious bedding, ceiling fans, and bedside reading lights round out the accommodations.
No, you don't have to do the laundry, but there is a washer and dryer for your use if you need to spruce up your duds while here. And if you want to throw in a load of towels before heading home, we'd be gosh-darned grateful.
• Dogs accepted with prior approval, acceptance of our pet agreement, payment of nightly rate of $10 per pet and a pet deposit.
• Due to the prevalence of cat allergies, we regret we are unable to accept feline companions.
• Smoking is permitted outdoors only. No smoking indoors.
At Casita Contenta, you will have access to the full house, with the exception of one tiny closet where we store supplies. You will also have access to the large deck out back and to the front and back yards.
Interaction with Guests
Our interaction with you is usually pretty limited, but we are available if you need us. Typically, the housekeeper or I will meet you at the property to check you in and provide a brief orientation (wifi access codes, instructions for the heat/air, fireplace, etc.), and answer any questions you may have. Then we will check in with you a day or two later, just to ensure you have everything you need. Usually, that's it, but you are always welcome to call if there is anything you need, whether it is a restaurant recommendation or directions to the closest grocery store or upscale shopping destination!
In the heart of central North Austin, you're only 8 miles and 15 minutes from downtown and five minutes from the upscale shopping destinations at the Domain and the Arboretum. Centrally located between I-35 and MoPac (Loop 1), and between Lamar Blvd. and Burnet Rd, you can hop in your car and be anywhere in no time.
No car? No problem! Catch the bus three blocks away, or enjoy an eight-block walk through this wonderful neighborhood and catch the new MetroRail train from the Crestview Station and enjoy a little site-seeing along the way. (see "Getting Around" for more info.)
The house sits in the middle of the beautiful Crestview neighborhood, which has a bus line on each side (along Burnet Road on the west and along Lamar Boulevard on the east) as well as one running right down the middle along Woodrow Avenue.
Your mass transit options include:
a) the regular MetroBus
b) MetroRapid (an express)
c) MetroRail (train)
Any of these will get you downtown to the Convention Center or near Zilker Park, site of SXSW and ACL Music Festivals. You can find all the following info by searching for Capital Metro in Austin.
Once on the site, click first on "Schedules and Maps", then on the option you want (MetroBus, MetroRapid, or MetroRail).
Next select the route (see below), then click on "southbound", then be sure to click on the tab at the top of the map showing "all the stops" and not just "timelines". To find your return trip, click on "northbound".
On Woodrow, you could catch the #5 bus, which will take you to 4th and Guadalupe, about 6 blocks west of the convention center. You would catch the #5 at Stop ID - 963, Stop Name - 7000 WOODROW & CULLEN, which is two blocks east and one block south of the property.
Along Burnet Road, you have access to the #3 MetroBus and the #803 MetroRapid, either of which would put you about six blocks west of the Convention Center. You would catch these buses at Stop ID - 5744, Stop Name - JUSTIN STATION (SB), which is two blocks west and two blocks south of the property. You could get off at Stop ID - 5867, Stop Name - REPUBLIC SQUARE STATION (SB) or Stop ID - 2153, Stop Name - GUADALUPE & CESAR CHAVEZ.
We are a bit further from the stop on Lamar Boulevard (Stop ID - 5538,
Stop Name - CRESTVIEW STATION), but still only about a 20 minute walk through the neighborhood. There you can not only catch the MetroBus #1 (also available at Stop ID - 474, Stop Name - 6814 LAMAR & JUSTIN) or MetroRapid #801, either of which would put you just a few blocks from the convention center, but you can also catch Austin's new MetroRail Red Line which will deliver you directly to the Convention Center (Stop ID - 5534, Stop Name - DOWNTOWN STATION).
Other Things to Note
•Maximum occupancy: 8
•Minimum stay: 2 nights; some special events dates (see below) have different minimum stays.
•Rental agreement required
•Rates vary during special events and holidays (SXSW, Austin City Limits, Formula 1, New Year's, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.).
Contact us for additional details.
PLEASE NOTE: Rental rates shown below do not include 15% hospitality tax imposed by the State of Texas (6%) and the City of Austin (9%).
These taxes are not included in Airbnb's rental rates or fees. A revised invoice to include the taxes will be sent upon confirmation of your reservation.
Feel free to contact us if you would like a more precise quote before booking or if you would simply like more information.
• For 1 or 2 people, $129 + tax per night.
• For each additional person, add $10 + tax per night, up to a maximum of 8 people.
• For 1 or 2 people, $735 + tax.
• For each additional person, add $10 + tax per night, up to a maximum of 8 people.
• For 1 or 2 people, 30 nights is $2855.
• There is no tax on stays of 30 nights or longer.
• For 3 to 8 people, please inquire for pricing.
HOLIDAYS & SPECIAL EVENTS
Special rates apply during holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve, and during special events such as SXSW, Austin City Limits, and Formula 1 Grand Prix.
An additional $100 deposit may be required for very large parties, during special events, or other special circumstances ($300 instead of the standard $200 hold placed on your credit card by Airbnb), but we will let you know if that's the case before you book. See Section 8C under House Rules.
If you have questions, please contact us for additional details.
1. The property is furnished and includes refrigerator; gas cooktop and electric oven; dishwasher; dishware and utensils; bed linens; towels and washcloths; expanded cable television; and high-speed wireless internet.
The property DOES NOT include a telephone, and Guests are encouraged to bring cellular or other mobile phone service in case of emergencies. By accepting this reservation and renting this property, Guest and all invitees agree to hold Homeowner harmless for any situation—emergent or otherwise—which might have been mitigated by access to a telephone on the property. It is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premise.
2. Rental Party: The rental party shall consist of no more than eight guests. No pets or animals of any kind are permitted on the property unless a separate pet agreement is executed.
3. Maximum Occupancy: The maximum number of guests is limited to 8 persons.
4. Term of the Lease: Your reservation is for the number of nights stated in your reservation on the Airbnb website, with check-in on the first day 4pm Central time or later, and check-out on the final day by 11am Central time, and will not change unless previously agreed in writing. Check-in and Check-out times are flexible, dependent on the arrival and departure times of other guests, and our make-ready time. If you need an earlier check-in or a later check-out, please let us know. We’re happy to accommodate you if possible.
5. Minimum Stay: This property requires a 2 night minimum stay. Longer minimum stays may be required during special events or holiday periods. If a rental is taken for less than 2 days, the guest will be charged the 2-night rate.
6. Rental Rules: Guests agree to abide by the Rental Rules included in this agreement at all times while at the property and agrees to cause all members of the rental party and anyone else Guest permits on the property to abide by these rules at all times while at the property. Any violations of the rental rules may cause Guests to be liable for damages, fines, eviction without refund, and/or other fees as determined in the sole discretion of the Homeowner.
7. Access: Guest shall allow Homeowner access to the property for purposes of repair and inspection. Homeowner shall exercise this right of access in a reasonable manner.
8. Deposits and Fees:
A. The full amount of your total charges (including fees, property damage deposit, and pet deposit, if any) is due at the time of booking to confirm the reservation.
B. Deposits and fees paid are applied toward the rental rate, property damage deposit, and fees, and is non-refundable other than as outlined under section 9 of this agreement, “Cancellation Policy”.
C. Airbnb will place a hold on your credit card as a security deposit in the amount of $200. Airbnb will release that hold if there are no damage claims made by us within 48 hours. We may ask for additional deposit for very large parties, special events, or unusual circumstances.
D. Cleaning fee is $125. It may vary for very large parties, special events, or unusual circumstances, but we will make you aware of any variance in this fee as part of our initial quote.
If the premises appear dirty or damaged upon Check-in, it is the responsibility of the Guest to inform Homeowner immediately.
E. Prices and availability are subject to change until your reservation is paid in full and this rental agreement is accepted.
9. Cancellation Policy: If Guest wishes to cancel or alter the reservation, the reservation payment and/or deposit will be refunded as follows:
• 50% refund if cancelled up to 8 days prior to check-in, except fees
• 0% if cancelled less than 8 days prior to the check-in date
We encourage all renters to purchase travelers insurance.
10. This is a 100% non-smoking property. Smoking is allowed outside only. Ashtrays are provided on the deck, and Guest is responsible to ensure all smoking waste is disposed of safely and properly. Smoking waste not disposed of safely and properly will incur additional cleaning charges.
11. People other than those in the Guest party set forth in the reservation may not stay overnight in the property. Guest incurs a charge of $125 per person per night for any person not named in this agreement staying overnight in the property.
Any and all persons or pets in the property during the time of this rental agreement are the sole responsibility of Guest.
12. It is our hope that you will find the property to be a place where you can both celebrate with friends and family your experience of Austin, and also find it to be the peaceful, restful place that allows you to recharge your batteries and prepare for the next phase of your adventure here.
The home and all surrounding homes are privately owned, and you are in the midst of a quiet, family neighborhood; please be respectful of the privacy and quality-of-life concerns of our neighbors. This request includes excessive noise. Our neighbors are respectful, reasonable, tolerant people. As a result, any noise or disturbance prompting a complaint from a neighbor is considered excessive.
Remember, Guest agrees to cause all members of the rental party and anyone else Guest permits on the property to abide by these rules at all times while at the property. Any violations of the rental rules may cause Guest to be liable for damages, fines, and other fees. During the term of this rental, any disturbance at the property which results in a law enforcement entity visiting the property will result in a $500 fine regardless of whether Guest personally is the offending party.
13. The owner is not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illnesses which occur while on the premises or its facilities. The Homeowner is not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the guest. By accepting this reservation and renting this property, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premises. All guests unilaterally agree without exception to hold Homeowner blameless for any accident, injury, or negligence.
14. A great deal of care has been undertaken to provide you with a clean, comfortable, pleasant stay. Should you find something which doesn’t work or otherwise needs attention, please let us know right away. We want to do whatever possible to ensure you enjoy your time with us.
15. Help us keep the property and all furnishings in good order. Accidents happen. Let us know if something becomes broken or damaged.
16. Appliances must be used only for their intended purposes.
17. PETS are permitted only with prior approval, advance payment of a Pet Deposit, and the completion of the Pet Agreement.
18. Parking is limited to four (4) vehicles: three vehicles can be parked in the driveway, end-to-end. A fourth vehicle can be parked on the street in front of the home. Any illegally parked cars are subject to towing; applicable fines/towing fees are the sole responsibility of the vehicle owner.
19. Housekeeping: While linens and bath towels are included, housekeeping service is not included in the rental rate. It is available for guests staying 5 nights or more, at additional charge. Please inquire for details.
20. We suggest you bring beach towels if you will be visiting any of the water attractions in our area. We do not permit towels or linens to be taken from the home.
21. The fireplace is a vented wood-burning firebox. If you are going to use the fireplace, YOU MUST OPEN THE DAMPER INSIDE THE FIREPLACE AT THE TOP, or you will fill the house with smoke. Please do not throw any paper or other combustible materials in the fireplace. PLEASE REMEMBER TO CLOSE THE DAMPER AFTER THE FIRE IS OUT AND THE FIREPLACE HAS COOLED.
22. The sewage system is very effective; however, it will clog if improper material is flushed. DO NOT FLUSH anything into the sewer system other than toilet paper. No feminine hygiene products should be flushed at any time. If it is found that feminine hygiene products or anything other than toilet paper has been flushed and results in clogging the septic system, you could be charged damages of $500 or more.
23. Storms: No refunds will be given for storms. We strongly recommend travelers’ insurance.
Due to the prevalence of cat allergies, we regret we are unable to accept feline travel companions.
We love dogs and happily accept a maximum of two (2) well-socialized canine companions within the following parameters:
a. Weight not to exceed 75 lbs.
b. At least 1 year old
c. Spayed or neutered
d. Current on rabies shots and all other vaccinations.
When a pet agreement is executed between Homeowner and Guest, Homeowner authorizes Guest to keep the specific pet(s) described in the Pet Agreement and no others on the property until the associated Rental Agreement terminates. This authorization is subject to the terms and conditions of the rental agreement and this addendum.
Homeowner may, in Homeowner’s sole discretion, terminate this authorization at any time if Guest’s right of occupancy ends or if Guest or other occupant violates the pet rules described herein.
The permission granted herein shall be limited to a certain pet or pets, with the following details documented by an accredited veterinarian. This information must be provided at least five (5) business days prior to check-in. This may be in the form of a photocopy of the pets’ charts, immunization records, or a letter from your veterinarian, as long as it contains all the following information:
Type of Pet: (Canine)
Owner’s Name :
Spayed / Neutered?
Date of last rabies vaccination?
Guest agrees to comply with the following Pet Rules:
1. Guest will pay an additional rental fee for the pet in the amount of $10 per night.
2. We love dogs. Heart-worm preventive is highly recommended.
3. All pets must be leashed at all times unless inside the home with all doors and windows closed. The City of Austin has a strong leash law and it is strictly enforced. Dogs must be on leash at all times unless in an area clearly marked as off leash. (Austin does have “dog parks” where off-leash dogs are welcome.)
4. Guests will promptly remove any pet waste from the property, and is responsible for the clean-up of any/all of their pet’s waste, whether on the property or in the neighborhood. Failure to do so will have a significant impact on pet deposit.
5. Pets are not allowed on any furniture inside the home at any time, with the exception of the living room sofa. Any evidence of pets on furniture will incur extra cleaning fees.
6. All pets are to be treated with a topical flea and tick repellent such as Advantage or Frontline three (3) days prior to arrival. Given our warm climate and recent mild winters, fleas and ticks are rampant in this area and can cause harmful/fatal illness to humans and pets.
7. Pets must not mark or cause damage to premises or furnishings. If damages are caused, the cost of the damage will be deducted from security deposit.
8. Guests must prevent pets from producing excessive noise. Our neighbors are reasonable people. Any noise at a level that disturbs neighbors will be considered excessive. No pet may disturb the rights, comforts, or conveniences of other persons near the property.
9. Pet will not be left outside unattended, but will be under Guest’s supervision at all times.
10. Pet will not be tied or tethered to any fixed object on the property.
11. Homeowner assumes no responsibility for illness or injury to pets or humans which may occur while on the premises. Guest is liable for any personal injuries or property damage caused by pet, and agrees to hold Homeowner harmless for any liability created by the pet.
12. The Guest shall be solely responsible for the pet while on the property. Guest will comply with all applicable statutes, ordinances, restrictions, and other enforceable regulations regarding pets in effect or as amended. It is the responsibility of the Guest to become informed of all applicable statutes, ordinances, regulations, and restrictions in any jurisdiction into which the pet travels.
13. Guest is responsible and liable for any damage to the property caused by any pet. Guest will pay all reasonable and necessary costs to clean, deodorize, de-flea, and repair any doors, walls, flooring or floor coverings, draperies, wallpaper, windows, window blinds, screens, furniture, appliances, sod, fences or walls, landscaping, and any other part of the property.
14. Guest indemnifies and hold homeowner harmless for all damages, costs of litigation, and attorneys’ fees for any action brought by any person against homeowner related to any act of any pet. Each Guest who signs this Pet Agreement is jointly and severally liable for any damages or obligations under this Pet Agreement, regardless of who owns the pet(s).
15. Homeowner reserves the right to amend this pet agreement at any time at his sole discretion. Guest must abide by any amendment to these pet rules after homeowner provides written notice of such amendment to Guest.
The terms of this Agreement are negotiable among the parties. This is intended to be a legal agreement, binding upon final acceptance. The parties agree to the terms and conditions of this Rental Agreement, as evidenced by its acceptance herein and/or any subsequent use of the property.
Finalizing your Reservation
To confirm your reservation, please:
a. Review and accept the Rental Agreement online through the Airbnb website.
b. Make your payment. Acceptable payment methods are outlined on the Airbnb website. Please contact us or Airbnb if you have questions.
You will receive emails from Airbnb and from the Homeowner confirming your reservation is complete.
Thanks for choosing Casita Contenta for your Austin stay!
As soon as you walk through the door, you'll know you've chosen the perfect base camp for your Austin adventure!
Earl was a wonderful host. He made himself very available. The neighborhood that the house is in was also great!
We loved our stay at Casita Contenta. The house is lovely. It looks just like how it is in the pictures. It exudes a very homey atmosphere and the only regret we had was staying at this listing for just 2 (website hidden) is a great host. He warmly welcomed us to Happy House. We enjoyed our quick visit to Austin mainly because we had a place we looked forward to coming home to after a tiring day of sight seeing. It was indeed a home away from home. Definitely staying here again if my travels take me back to Austin in the future. Thanks so much, EC!
Thanks, Cherry! It was great having you and your family visit Casita Contenta! Happy trails, and here's hoping those trails bring you back to Austin again soon! There's just so much to see and do here, ya know? ;-)
If anyone has a chance to rent to Cherry, DO IT!! You won't regret it for a second! Great guests!
The casita is a lovely, well-maintained home in north Central Austin. The home has three bedrooms, each one unique, a comfortable living room, a fun kitchen, and a spacious deck in back. The neighborhood was developed in the early 1950s and gives you a good idea of the old Austin and the new. Within walking distance is a quaint shopping district with a small grocery store, a good deli, and a helpful hair salon. Within a short drive is Burnet Road, with lots of neat places to eat and quick access to points north and (website hidden) is a welcoming host, who makes sure that you are doing okay and has many suggestions about what to do in the neighborhood and about town.
EC was a great host! Those house is super comfy and conveniently located. I'd definitely stay here again.
From the moment I booked Casita Contenta, Earl or EC, as he is more apt to go by, was (email hidden) answered all of my questions (and there were quite a few) promptly and thoroughly.
When we arrive to the neighborhood and as a first timer in Austin, I was pleasantly pleased at the quaint little neighborhood.The homes had so much Austin charm from the succulents and cacti in the yards to a giant T-Rex sculpture in one of the neighbors front yards. Immediately, I fell in love with the area. Casita Contenta was no (website hidden) has refurbished much of the home with a 1950s charm. The home was completely comfortable (King Size bed and deck, anyone?) and we had access to anything and everything we might need including a dishwasher and washer and dryer, but also a 1950s style hair dryer and toaster (I might add they worked as well as any other)!!
If you need recommendations for restaurants or travel, EC also was happy to give plenty and offer a little background and history for many of the neat restaurants in Austin. We took EC up on his recommendation for Little Deli and it was awesome.
I would be more than happy to stay again at the Casita Contenta when I next visit Austin and I do hope that I can do so soon!
This lovely house had ample room for our large party and this is my second time renting it! EC is a fantastic host - clear and timely communication with a great attitude. I asked to add an additional night after we made the initial reservation and somehow our total cost went down! EC said he had applied the weekly credit so we ended up paying less for our needs. Talk about amazing host service. Thank you so much EC! We will be back time and time again.
About the Host, Earl
Doesn't the name Earl sound like I *should* be from Texas? :-)
Well, I'm a native, from a small town, who came to the Austin area for one of Willie Nelson's picnics back in the day. I fell in love with the place and decided I had to live here,. So I packed my gear and I've been here since 1976!
Random facts about me:
--Like to travel and have done a fair amount but want to do more!
--Wear contact lenses.
--Have a 1959 Studebaker restoration project I need to get to
--Have four dogs, all rescues. Two of them were planned. (thanks Patti ;-) They are a bit of a hindrance to the travel thing, but my friends who have dogs love to travel too, so we work it out. Plus, they're great dogs. Ask to see pictures of Gizmo, Rocket, Big Red, and KneeHigh.
--Sometimes wish I'd gone into architecture or advertising, but I work as a headhunter for a large technology company and greatly enjoy it.
--Converting this house to a short-term rental has been a labor of love since I lived here for 20+ years until 2000. It's been fun getting it ready for you!
--Collect (my friends might say "amass") Mid-Century Modern furniture and iconic American collectibles. Ask to see my Zorro lunchbox!
----I've stayed in hotels and I've stayed in vacation rentals. I like the vacation rentals better. I think you will too, and you'll like what you find in the little home-away-from-home I've prepared for you here in Austin.
--Love listening to '50's R&B on vinyl.
--Am a really nice guy, or so I'm told :-)