About this listing
An apartment to yourself in a 100-year-old, quiet, brick 4-plex with natural woodwork throughout. Enjoy your privacy with the company of a friendly feline, hundreds of books and vinyl records, and one of the fastest web connections in the nation.
IMPORTANT: Kitty present! You will be sharing the apartment with a beautiful, pudgy cat named Assata. If you're bothered by or allergic to cats, this might not be the place for you!
This two-bedroom apartment (one of the bedrooms is currently used as an office/storage and will be locked) is in a classic brick four-plex in the heart of Whittier, situated between Uptown and Downtown Minneapolis.
• One bedroom with full size bed
• Small futon in sunroom that can fold out to sleep one person.
• Full size Aerobed if needed.
• Off-street parking and plenty of nearby street parking
• 46” television w/Roku
• One of the FASTEST internet connections in the country. Fiber optic 1 gbps up/down.
• If you know how to properly handle records, feel free to use the turntable and spin from my vinyl collection!
• Fully equipped kitchen
• Laundry available in basement (Thursday-Sunday only)
• Ornate dining room and beautiful woodwork throughout
• Fenced in backyard with fire pit and barbeque.
Assata is very affectionate, a little overweight (we're working on that), and rather lazy. She adores people and is suspicious yet friendly around dogs. For guests staying longer than a few days and/or folks that don't want to deal with typical cat duties (food/water/litter), let me know so I can arrange for someone to stop by.
• Guests have the whole place to themselves! Bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, dining room, living room, and sun room.
• 1 off street parking space
• Free laundry facilities in basement (Thurs-Sun only)
• Super fast (1 gbps) internet + wifi. Roku with Sling TV (+HBO), Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Spotify Premium, WatchESPN, Disney and more!
Interaction with Guests
You probably won't see me! If the listing is up, it's usually because I'm working abroad or otherwise out of town. Keys will be left for you and you will receive contact info for people nearby who will be available if you need any help or have any questions.
• Close to bus lines on Lake Street, Nicolet Avenue, and Lyndale Avenue
• Great location with “Eat Street” to the east, Lyn-Lake to the south and west, and the Wedge and downtown to the north.
• Less than a mile and a half to the heart of Downtown Minneapolis.
• A couple blocks away from the Midtown Greenway bike path. Rental bikes available nearby.
• A block and half from a small park with a playground and basketball courts.
• 0.7 miles to Minneapolis Institute of the Arts, 1 mile to Lake of the Isles, 1.4 miles to Walker Art Center, 2.4 miles to Target Field, 3 miles to the University of Minnesota.
• 15 minute drive from MSP airport and the Mall of America.
One off-street parking spot is available. Bicycle rentals are available nearby. Many different buses stop within a 2 block radius of the apartment. If you have a Car2Go membership, you can use one of the many smart cars in the neighborhood for $0.41 per minute.
* Be respectful of neighbors
* No smoking
* Well behaved dogs allowed if they are friendly with cats. There is a fenced in back yard.
Where to begin? Assata’s House is a sweet haven for both weary travelers and occasional vacacionistas eager to explore the fine city of Minneapolis. It is on the second floor of an older but charming brick building on a quiet, peaceful, tree-lined street. If I didn’t have any pressing business to do in this city, I could simply spend the entire day curled up beside Assata with a book in one hand and a glass of pinot noir in the other on the comfy divan by the tall windows looking out into the street.
Donovan’s, or rather, Assata’s place is not only spacious, but also full of character. Thick, sturdy wood frame the windows and doors, Persian rugs brighten up the hardwood floors (and also sometimes double as Assata’s scratching pads), and interesting art pieces (many of which seem to have been collected from extensive travels around the world) deck the living room, dining room, and bedroom. We unfortunately didn’t have the chance to meet Donovan in person, but I imagine that these features all reflect his interesting personality. By the way, the walls of the bedroom are lined with various academic diplomas, certificates, and awards!
Also, don’t bother packing reading materials in your suitcase to pass your time during your stay at Assata’s apartment, because Donovan’s shelves house a fascinating collection of books. When you get tired of reading, you can spin a record on Donovan’s phonograph. His record library includes classic rock, indie, and alternative selections, and even Bob Dylan albums!
The fenced backyard has a delightful little patio set under a tall, shady tree, plus a barbecue grill--perfect for picnics. In one corner sits a small wooden planter box that grows rhubarb, cilantro, basil, and other herbs. I got to pick some basil leaves to chop up and sprinkle on top of the pasta I cooked in Donovan’s kitchen.
Assata’s and Donovan’s home not only made my stay in Minneapolis more comfortable and convenient, but also made it possible to feel the pulse of the city and experience what it’s like to live as a local, albeit very briefly. In Assata’s house, you are never a stranger!
Donovan was fantastic; super responsive via text and the Airbnb messaging system. Everything was tidy and delightful at his great apartment, and his cat Assata is wonderful! Would visit again the next time I'm in Minneapolis!
Donovan's place was fantastic. It was clean, lovely, and the neighbourhood was perfect for us (art store nearby, vegan resto's, fantastic organic grocery store). We absolutely LOVED Assata, the cat. It was so nice to have a cat to cuddle at the end of each day. We also appreciated the air conditioning. Donovan was quick to reply to any questions we had. We felt very at home with the records, books, and general decor. Thank you for making our stay in Minniapolis so lovely!
My wife and I stayed at Donovan's because we wanted a comfortable and well-located jumping off point for exploring the city. Our expectations couldn't have been more exceeded. The apartment was homey and beautiful, and right smack in the middle of an amazing part of town. Not to mention wonderful Assata! As long as Donovan continues to so graciously lend his apartment, we will absolutely be staying here again.
Donovan was a fantastic host! He was very flexible with my travel schedule, and very communicative in terms of answering my questions and getting back to me quickly.
The apartment was clean, comfortable, beautiful and in a great neighborhood.
I will definitely stay here again on my future travels to Minneapolis and I recommend it to anyone looking for a cozy apartment.
Donovan was an absolute dream to work with. He was friendly and communicative leading up to and during our stay. The apartment was well decorated, clean, and stayed surprisingly cool. We were mere blocks from great bars and restaurants on Lyndale. We would definitely stay here again in the future!
Apartment was beautiful, location excellent, and Donovan a great communicator. Would be my top choice for a future stay in Minneapolis!
This host has 14 reviews for other properties.View Other Reviews
About the Host, Donovan
I recently moved back to Minneapolis from NYC where I studied cognitive neuroscience. Now I help design video games. I've traveled to over 40 countries and don't plan on stopping anytime soon!