About this listing
(La Maison de la Chicorée)
Best location for enjoying downtown New Orleans, including the French Quarter, and Marigny/Bywater neighborhoods. Cozy 19th Century house full of charm and good vibrations. Nice old bathtub inside & an outdoor shower, too!
- At the end of Bourbon St. on a pretty, well-lit block.
- Beautiful, 19th Century "Shotgun" House.
- Historic District; Picturesque Marigny-Triangle neighborhood.
- 1 block outside the French Quarter; 3 blocks from Frenchmen Street entertainment; 10 minute walk to Jackson Square; Short walk to Streetcar to Convention Center.
- Suitable for single traveler(s) or couples, or up to 3 max.
- 2 big rooms, divided by an open archway - yours, private.
- 1 double bed, 1 single bed, all in one large, shared space.
- Bathroom w/bathtub, shared with host, centrally located.
- FREE PARKING for 2 hours allowed on our street (10 a.m.- 7 p.m.) and overnight. AMPLE on-street FREE PARKING, 24/7 JUST 2 BLOCKS AWAY, where Residential Permits are not needed on the street.
- Outdoor shower w/hot water, bordered by palm trees.
- Faux Fireplaces in each room.
- Not ideal setup for guests who want to cook a lot, but kitchen is available for use when your host isn't sleeping (I often sleep late after working a night shift; my room is beside the kitchen with no door in between). Working stove, oven, microwave, toaster, plates, cups, glasses, bowls, cutlery, pots & pans.
- Washer/Dryer available.
- Numerous local cafes offer free WiFi (no WiFi on premises).
- PLEASE NOTE THERE'S NO TV!!!
- Bike & Scooter rental nearby.
- Rental car not needed, in walking distance of a vast array of entertainment, shops & cafes; near to public transport.
- Central A/C and Heating; Ceiling Fans & High Ceilings.
- Fully furnished with dressers, table & chairs, easy chairs.
- Towels, Washcloths, Organic Soap & Shampoos included.
- Self-serve New Orleans Traditional Coffee w/Chicory, and imported Breakfast Tea is complimentary. Do-It-Yourself Pancakes and Eggs will usually be in stock in the kitchen 4U to fix, too (depends on if I had time to "make groceries!").
- Back Patio has table and chairs & room to BBQ (although we have no BBQ at present, one could be purchased at the local hardware store with ease and upon request).
An Urban Oasis: On the front porch or back patio you'll hear the clip-clop of mules pulling buggies back to the barn around the corner; Freight trains' horns in the distance; Ships honking on the Mississippi a stone's-throw away; Birds; Frogs in the neighbors' pond; No loud music from bars or clubs. Smell night-blooming jasmine, coffee roasting in the warehouses downriver, and the tempting aromas that emanate from our diversity of local restaurant kitchens.
Guests enter the house through the front door, while your host enters through the back door via the alleyway (and may pass through your space when you're out for convenience's sake, or for housekeeping). So, it's essentially like 2 separate studio apartments, sharing a bathroom in the middle, and sometimes the kitchen, back yard, and front porch.
A note on cleanliness: The Chicory House gets 4 out 5 stars from its guests for cleanliness (please see our reviews below). It might have a little dust here and there, but wouldn't you, if you were over a 150 yrs. old? Your space and the bathroom are cleaned and sanitized, but be aware that it's not as pristine and posh as a new hotel!
I look forward to hearing from you with any questions, and to hearing a little about yourself and why you'd like to stay here when you visit The Crescent City.
Please note that preference is given to guests with a profile picture, and a brief if not detailed profile (or email) describing themselves. Minimum stay - 2 nights, but 1-night stays may be considered last minute or within a few days or your visit.
- Robby B.
Other Things to Note
A bicycle may be available to borrow depending on bike repairs and so on. You can ask me about that!
- If you smoke, you MUST smoke ON THE FRONT PORCH, and dispose of butts in receptacle provided.
- No Pets!
- Guests are expected to clean up after themselves, wash their dishes, and so on.
- PLEASE help to conserve energy by turning out the lights & fans when you leave the room. Thank U!
- Guests are asked to put recyclables in a separate trash can (provided in your room). Glass is not recyclable in New Orleans (!), but metal, plastic tubs and bottles (please rinse), and paper are.
- Please don't leave the front or back door open or propped, because we want to keep flies and any other bugs out of the house!
- Your host will provide you with a clean, safe and comfortable home, but will not be held responsible for any loss or theft of property or personal injury experienced while staying at our home. Host has a safe on the premises in which guests may store any valuables, if they wish to entrust their valuables to him.
- If your host's bedroom door is closed, guests are asked to access the back patio via the alleyway, AND PLEASE refrain from using the kitchen until he's up and about.
- Loud conversation, partying, etc. is not allowed outdoors after 10 p.m.
- Guests badly soiling, staining, or damaging host's property may be fined for cleaning or replacement costs at the host's discretion.
- All amenities and aspects of the guest experience at the Chicory House are subject to change without notice.
Single bedroom, boxspring and twin mattress, adjoins front room. Large dresser, table, cube fridge, fan, table and chairs.