(La Maison de la Chicorée)
Best location for enjoying downtown New Orleans, including the French Quarter, and Marigny/Bywater neighborhoods. Cozy 19th Century house full of charm and good vibrations. Nice old bathtub inside & an outdoor shower, too!
- At the end of Bourbon St. on a pretty, well-lit block.
- Beautiful, 19th Century "Shotgun" House.
- Historic District; Picturesque Marigny-Triangle neighborhood.
- 1 block outside the French Quarter; 3 blocks from Frenchmen Street entertainment; 10 minute walk to Jackson Square; Short walk to Streetcar to Convention Center.
- Suitable for single traveler(s) or couples, or up to 3 max.
- 2 big rooms, divided by an open archway - yours, private.
- 1 double bed, 1 single bed, all in one large, shared space.
- Bathroom w/bathtub, shared with host, centrally located.
- FREE PARKING for 2 hours allowed on our street (10 a.m.- 7 p.m.) and overnight. AMPLE on-street FREE PARKING, 24/7 JUST 2 BLOCKS AWAY, where Residential Permits are not needed on the street.
- Outdoor shower w/hot water, bordered by palm trees.
- Faux Fireplaces in each room.
- Kitchen available for use when your host isn't sleeping (I usually sleep late after working a night shift; my room is beside the kitchen with no door in between). Working stove, oven, microwave, toaster, plates, cups, glasses, bowls, cutlery, pots & pans.
- Washer/Dryer available.
- WiFi signal available in kitchen and on back patio only. Numerous local cafes offer free WiFi, too.
- PLEASE NOTE THERE'S NO TV!!!
- Bike & Scooter rental nearby.
- Rental car not needed, in walking distance of a vast array of entertainment, shops & cafes; near to public transport.
- Central A/C and Heating; Ceiling Fans & High Ceilings.
- Personal mini-fridge in bedroom.
- Fully furnished with dressers, table & chairs, easy chairs.
- Towels, Washcloths, Organic Soap & Shampoos included.
- Self-serve New Orleans Traditional Coffee w/Chicory, and Barry's Irish Breakfast Tea is complimentary. Do-It-Yourself Cereal and Eggs will usually be in stock in the kitchen 4U to fix, too (depends on if I had time to "make groceries!").
- Back Patio has table and chairs & room to BBQ (although we have no BBQ at present, one could be purchased at the local hardware store with ease and upon request).
An Urban Oasis: On the front porch or back patio you'll hear the clip-clop of mules pulling buggies back to the barn around the corner; Freight trains' horns in the distance; Ships honking on the Mississippi a stone's-throw away; Birds; Frogs in the neighbors' pond; No loud music from bars or clubs. Smell night-blooming jasmine, coffee roasting in the warehouses downriver, and the tempting aromas that emanate from our diversity of local restaurant kitchens.
Guests enter the house through the front door, while your host enters through the back door via the alleyway (and may pass through your space when you're out for convenience's sake, or for housekeeping, coffee-making). So, it's essentially like 2 separate studio apartments, sharing a bathroom in the middle, and sometimes the kitchen, back yard, and front porch.
A note on cleanliness: The Chicory House gets 4 out 5 stars from its guests for cleanliness (please see our reviews below). It might have a little dust here and there, but wouldn't you, if you were over a 150 yrs. old? Your space and the bathroom are cleaned and sanitized, but be aware that it's not as pristine and posh as a new hotel!
I look forward to hearing from you with any questions, and to hearing a little about yourself and why you'd like to stay here when you visit The Crescent City.
Please note that preference is given to guests with a profile picture, and a brief if not detailed profile (or email) describing themselves. Minimum stay (preferred) is 2 nights, but 1 night stays will be considered during less-busy times of year.
- Robby B.
Robby was a great host, his home - a typical 150 years New Orleans shotgun shag - is absolutely beautifull. And it was never a problem, to share the rooms with Robby, because in this kind of house, they are laying all behind each other.
I don't want to explain all the comfort of our 3 night stay in several steps, because everything was great, the comfort, the ambiance, even the kindly hospitality Robby gave to us.
Maybe, I will come back to New Orleans next year with my wife and daughter (this time I was there with my two sons) , for sure Iwill choose Robby and his home again.
And let me say something espacialy: Robby is a very intellectual artist. It was a great pleasure, to discuss with him. Me and and my sons did it a lot, so Robby couldn't go to bed sometimes. It belongs to my family, I was a Philosphie-Teacher all my life and my sons are even my sons.
Robby ... Stay as you are and have a big Thank Youu. I hope to see you again.
Robby was an excellent host and I would more than happily stay at the chicory house on future visits to New Orleans. Robby kindly gave us suggestions as to key spots in the city which proved really useful during our stay. The accommodation was simple yet had everything required for a great stay and was situated very close to both Frenchmen St and Bourbon Street. Would definitely recommend.
My friends and I just stayed with Robby on our trip to New Orleans. He is a very nice and gracious host, and very easy going! He went over maps of the area with us, gave some recommendations on where to eat, and was just overall interested in our having a nice stay.
His location is perfect! Quiet setting which is good for sleeping, but yet just steps away from the French Quarter or Frenchman Street. We walked everywhere we went and always felt safe doing so, even at night.
We had a blast and couldn't have asked for a better trip!
The location of The Chicory House is perfect. It's a quiet street just blocks from the excitement on Frenchmen or Bourbon street. Robby is very knowledgeable and friendly. Everything was easy and we had a great time. I highly recommend staying here.
Robby was a great host for my colleague and I! His apartment was tidy and had great character (lots of fun musical flyers and cultural/historical decorations on display). We also enjoyed sitting on his back patio and relaxing for a bit before heading out to the nearby jazz scene. Based on the cleanliness of his place and his helpfulness with site seeing, I would definitely recommend Robby to anyone who is looking for a place to stay while visiting New Orleans.
Robby is a great host and a really cool guy. Very easy going and accommodating and I really enjoyed getting to know him. I arrived St. Patrick's weekend and he made sure I knew about all the parades and St. Pat's events going on and even invited me along with some of his friends to see one of the parades the night of my arrival.
His house is in an outstanding location right next to both the French Quarter and Frenchmen Street. Highly recommend.
My brother and I stayed at the Chicory House from March 5th-9th. Our stay was absolutely wonderful. Robby is a great host with a lot of insightful information and recommendations. The Chicory House was clean and had a great New Orleans feel to it. Not to mention the location is a stone throw away from both Bourbon Street and Frenchman Street. I would recommend the Chicory House for anyone looking for the full New Orleans experience. Hopefully there is a next time for us, we know exactly where we are staying!
Robby's place was nicely situated for exploring New Orleans. His suggestions for where to go for great food and entertainment were very helpful. We will go back there again the next time we are in NOLA.
Robby was a great host, his place was clean and comfortable with easy access to Frenchman Street and the upper end of Bourbon Street. We had our own access at the front of the house, so privacy was good. Nice neighborhood. Will stay again.
The house was conveniently located near all the action. Bourbon street was a short walk from here and Canalstreet can be reached within 15 minutes. Robby was very nice to offer us a tour with the highlights of New Orleans. He also showed us all the places where locals eat and where you can witness live music in the evening. we had a pleasant stay at Robby's!
This is the final rate, including any fees from the host and Airbnb.