About this listing
An ideal spot for enjoying downtown New Orleans, only 1 block to the French Qtr., in the eclectic & fun Marigny District. Charming, late-19th Century home full of good vibrations. Nice, old bathtub inside & an outdoor shower, too!
New: We have WiFi!
- Beautiful, 19th Century "Shotgun" House located on a quiet, well-lit street.
- 1 block outside the French Quarter!; 3 blocks from Frenchmen Street Jazz Clubs; 10 min. walk to Jackson Sq.; 5 blocks from Bourbon St. Bars; 5 blocks from Streetcar to Convention Ctr. & Central Business District Hotels.
******* PLEASE do select the red "+ More" tab (below) and take a minute to read the FULL description before inquiring! Thank you so much!! *******
- Suitable for single traveler(s) or couples, or up to 3 max.
- 2 big rooms, divided by an open archway - yours, private.
- 1 double bed, 1 single bed, all in one large guest-space (your host's separate bedroom is in the rear of the house, guests are in the front).
- Bathroom w/bathtub, shared with host, centrally located.
An Urban Oasis --
On the front porch or back patio you'll hear the clip-clop of mules pulling buggies back to the barn around the corner; Freight trains' horns in the distance; Ships honking on the Mississippi a stone's-throw away; Birds; Frogs in the neighbors' pond; No loud music from bars or clubs. Smell night-blooming jasmine, coffee roasting in the warehouses downriver, and the tempting aromas that emanate from our diversity of local restaurant kitchens. If I'm home, I'll make you a fresh pot of Cafe Du Monde Chicory Coffee anytime, babe! (Or, you can always make your own when I'm out).
- FREE PARKING for 2 hours allowed on our street (10 a.m.- 7 p.m.) and overnight till noon the next day. AMPLE on-street FREE PARKING, 24/7 JUST 2 BLOCKS AWAY, where Residential Permits are not needed on the street.
- Outdoor shower w/hot water, bordered by palm trees.
- Faux Fireplaces in each room.
- Not an ideal setup for guests who want to cook a lot, but the kitchen is available for use when your host isn't sleeping (I often sleep late after working a night shift; my room is beside the kitchen with no door in between). Kitchen offers: Stove, oven, toaster, plates, cups, glasses, bowls, cutlery, pots & pans, reverse-osmosis water purifier built into kitchen sink.
- Washer/Dryer available.
- Please Note: There's NO TV!
- Bike & Scooter rental nearby.
- Central A/C and Heating; Ceiling Fans & High Ceilings.
- Fully furnished with dressers, table & chairs, easy chairs.
- Towels, Soap & Shampoos included.
- Guest Suite offers: hair-dyer, iron & ironing board, microwave, record player & modest vinyl collection, radio/CD player, deck of cards, eye masks (for sleeping), purified water & glasses, bottle opener & corkscrew, portable cold-storage bag for icing food or beverages, sewing needles & safety pins, condiments, magazines, books, CDs, Mardi Gras masks & beads and a modest collection of eclectic art on display.
- Self-serve New Orleans Traditional Coffee w/Chicory, and imported Breakfast Tea is complimentary. Do-It-Yourself Pancakes and Eggs will usually be in stock in the kitchen 4U to fix, too (depends on if I had time to "make groceries!"), but the kitchen is often not available in the morning! I offer to fix breakfast for interested guests if by chance our schedules are in-synch, and it is at all possible and convenient.
- Back Patio has tables and chairs & room to BBQ (although we have no BBQ at present, one could be purchased at the local hardware store with ease and upon request).
A note on cleanliness: Your space and the bathroom are cleaned and sanitized before each visit, yet please be aware that it's not as pristine and posh as a new hotel!
Please note that preference is given to guests with a profile picture (if possible?), and a brief if not detailed profile (or email) describing themselves and the purpose of their visit. Thanks!
Minimum stay - 2 nights, but 1-night stays may be approved if requested last-minute, or within a few days or your visit.
I look forward to hearing from you!
All the best,
Guests enter their guest suite house through the front door, while your host enters the house through the back door via the alleyway. The host may, for convenience's sake or for housekeeping purposes, pass through the guest suite when guests are out (as the front door is only accessible via the guest suite).
So, it's essentially like 2 separate studio apartments, wherein guests have access to a shared: Bathroom (located in the middle of the house), kitchen, porch, back yard and laundry room.
Interaction with Guests
Sometimes I work days, sometimes I work nights, sometimes I work all night till dawn (I'm an actor in film/tv, theatre, and pedicab driver, too). Sometimes I'm able to hang out with interested guests, and I do indeed enjoy conversation and the company of my guests. But, I offer all my guests privacy and space as would be considered appropriate and normal.
The Historic "Marigny" neighborhood was built in the 1800s, the first neighborhood built outside the French Quarter. It boasts the Frenchmen St. Music Club scene -- Frenchmen boasts over 10 live-music venues and top-notch restaurants all just 3 blocks from the House -- There's no better place to catch New Orleans Jazz & Brass Bands! And, we're on the downriver edge of the French Quarter, or "Vieux Carre (Old Square)," with The Chicory House just a block away from the many delights on offer in our colorful Quarter (established in the year 1718).
The Marigny neighborhood offers entertainment galore: In addition to its fun live-music venues and a diversity of Louisiana-inspired, American & international restaurants (many offer free delivery) and numerous all-night bars, one can enjoy: Theatre, dance, comedy, burlesque, art galleries & markets and karaoke, too. There's street performers & food vendors, coffee-houses with wifi, tattoo parlors, wine shops, health-food stores, supermarkets (24hrs.), 24-hour convenience stores - delivery available (with beer, wine & booze, sandwiches and take-out dinners), daquiri shops, seasonal parades, parks, thrift stores, antique shops, record stores, bicycle rental, yoga studios & fitness clubs. Tropical trees, flowers and stunning architecture abound -- such an incredible place to walkabout by day, and enjoy nightlife after hours, too. (There are numerous local LGBT-friendly venues, as well -- All are welcome in "Da Marigny").
In walking distance of all Downtown & French Quarter destinations.
Close to public transportation to Riverfront/Convention Center, all points Downtown, Uptown, and in Mid-City.
Rental car entirely unnecessary!
Cabs and Uber available 24/7.
Recommended: United Cab
For personalized service, ask me for the cell number for Mr. "L.W.", a trusted friend, New Orleans native, and United Cab Driver.
Other Things to Note
A bicycle may be available to borrow depending on bike repairs and so on -- You can ask me about that!
You'll find maps, tourism books, and a my personal Visitor's Guide upon check-in.
- If you smoke, please dispose of butts in outdoor ashtrays provided.
- No Pets!
- Guests are expected to clean up after themselves, wash their dishes, and so on.
- PLEASE help to conserve energy by turning out the lights & fans when you leave the room. Thank U!
- Guests are asked to put recyclables in a separate trash can (provided in your room). Glass is not recyclable in New Orleans (!), but metal, plastic tubs and bottles (please rinse), and paper are.
- Please don't leave the front or back door open or propped, because we want to keep flies and any other bugs out of the house!
- Your host will provide you with a clean, safe and comfortable home, but will not be held responsible for any loss or theft of property or personal injury experienced while staying at our home.
- If your host's bedroom door is closed, guests are asked to access the back patio via the alleyway, and to please refrain from using the kitchen until he's up and about.
- Loud conversation, partying, etc. is not allowed outdoors after 10 p.m. (As per agreement with our kind neighbors).
- Guests badly soiling or damaging host's property may be fined, at the host's discretion, to offset any cleaning or replacement costs, in the event any such damages are not covered by AirBnB insurance policy.
- Amenities, aspects & terms of the guest experience at the Chicory House are subject to change (but don't worry, we will inform guests of any changes as soon as is possible). Payment and refund terms are NOT subject to change after confirmation of reservation.
The back yard, a nice place to relax under palm trees surrounded by tropical plants -- with an outdoor shower with hot water and privacy, too.