(La Maison de la Chicorée)
Best location for enjoying downtown New Orleans, including the French Quarter, and Marigny/Bywater neighborhoods. Cozy 19th Century house full of charm and good vibrations. Nice old bathtub inside & an outdoor shower, too!
- At the end of Bourbon St. on a pretty, well-lit block.
- Beautiful, 19th Century "Shotgun" House.
- Historic District; Picturesque Marigny-Triangle neighborhood.
- 1 block outside the French Quarter; 3 blocks from Frenchmen Street entertainment; 10 minute walk to Jackson Square; Short walk to Streetcar to Convention Center.
- Suitable for single traveler(s) or couples, or up to 3 max.
- 2 big rooms, divided by an open archway - yours, private.
- 1 double bed, 1 single bed, all in one large, shared space.
- Bathroom w/bathtub, shared with host, centrally located.
- FREE PARKING for 2 hours allowed on our street (10 a.m.- 7 p.m.) and overnight. AMPLE on-street FREE PARKING, 24/7 JUST 2 BLOCKS AWAY, where Residential Permits are not needed on the street.
- Outdoor shower w/hot water, bordered by palm trees.
- Faux Fireplaces in each room.
- Kitchen available for use when your host isn't sleeping (I usually sleep late after working a night shift; my room is beside the kitchen with no door in between). Working stove, oven, microwave, toaster, plates, cups, glasses, bowls, cutlery, pots & pans.
- Washer/Dryer available.
- WiFi signal available in kitchen and on back patio only. Numerous local cafes offer free WiFi, too.
- PLEASE NOTE THERE'S NO TV!!!
- Bike & Scooter rental nearby.
- Rental car not needed, in walking distance of a vast array of entertainment, shops & cafes; near to public transport.
- Central A/C and Heating; Ceiling Fans & High Ceilings.
- Personal mini-fridge in bedroom.
- Fully furnished with dressers, table & chairs, easy chairs.
- Towels, Washcloths, Organic Soap & Shampoos included.
- Self-serve New Orleans Traditional Coffee w/Chicory, and Barry's Irish Breakfast Tea is complimentary. Do-It-Yourself Cereal and Eggs will usually be in stock in the kitchen 4U to fix, too (depends on if I had time to "make groceries!").
- Back Patio has table and chairs & room to BBQ (although we have no BBQ at present, one could be purchased at the local hardware store with ease and upon request).
An Urban Oasis: On the front porch or back patio you'll hear the clip-clop of mules pulling buggies back to the barn around the corner; Freight trains' horns in the distance; Ships honking on the Mississippi a stone's-throw away; Birds; Frogs in the neighbors' pond; No loud music from bars or clubs. Smell night-blooming jasmine, coffee roasting in the warehouses downriver, and the tempting aromas that emanate from our diversity of local restaurant kitchens.
Guests enter the house through the front door, while your host enters through the back door via the alleyway (and may pass through your space when you're out for convenience's sake, or for housekeeping, coffee-making). So, it's essentially like 2 separate studio apartments, sharing a bathroom in the middle, and sometimes the kitchen, back yard, and front porch.
A note on cleanliness: The Chicory House gets 4 out 5 stars from its guests for cleanliness (please see our reviews below). It might have a little dust here and there, but wouldn't you, if you were over a 150 yrs. old? Your space and the bathroom are cleaned and sanitized, but be aware that it's not as pristine and posh as a new hotel!
I look forward to hearing from you with any questions, and to hearing a little about yourself and why you'd like to stay here when you visit The Crescent City.
Please note that preference is given to guests with a profile picture, and a brief if not detailed profile (or email) describing themselves. Minimum stay (preferred) is 2 nights, but 1 night stays will be considered during less-busy times of year.
- Robby B.
Robby's place was nicely situated for exploring New Orleans. His suggestions for where to go for great food and entertainment were very helpful. We will go back there again the next time we are in NOLA.
Robby was a great host, his place was clean and comfortable with easy access to Frenchman Street and the upper end of Bourbon Street. We had our own access at the front of the house, so privacy was good. Nice neighborhood. Will stay again.
The house was conveniently located near all the action. Bourbon street was a short walk from here and Canalstreet can be reached within 15 minutes. Robby was very nice to offer us a tour with the highlights of New Orleans. He also showed us all the places where locals eat and where you can witness live music in the evening. we had a pleasant stay at Robby's!
Robby is a great host. He makes you feel at home and can give you a lot of information about what to do in the city. His house is cosy, clean and at a great location. Wouldn't have want to stay anywhere else in New Orleans!
The Chicory House was awesome! Robby greeted us with a tour, coffee, and a lot of suggestions for restaurants, bars, and music venues that all turned out great. The house itself was a really cool old shot-gun style home with a nice little porch and beautiful backyard garden and patio with an outdoor shower. The best part about staying here was the location--two blocks out of the quarter and two blocks away from Frenchman st. If I'm ever back in New Orleans I hope it's available. Thanks Robby!
Robby was a considerate host. We had to change our booking by one day, and Robby was flexible. We had plenty of privacy. Our two bedrooms were at the front, and the host's bedroom was on the other side of the bathroom. No hallways in a shotgun house - one room leads to the next. The kitchen was at the back.
Robby provided a map and some suggestions, and hooked us up with a friend who was able to rent bikes to us. It was a great way to see New Orleans.
The best part of staying at the Chicory House was the location - walking distance to Bourbon St. action, the French Quarter, the ferry, etc. And safe.
Bathroom was clean, as was the floor of the bedrooms and linens. Beds could have been a little more comfortable.
Superb location! Quiet street but blocks away from the French Quarter and Frenchman Street clubs. Room and bathroom were clean, sheets were fresh and beds were confortable. Robby was an excellent host and available for advice on where to go and what to see. The furnishings are not posh - but that was no matter as we were out and about enjoying the city whenever we were not sleeping. Overall a great experience!
This place is outstanding.
To say that the location is ideal is a big time understatement - literally steps from Bourbon street yet still kinda out of the craziness.
The house/room was plenty clean with a lot of nice touches and Robby went out of his way to make sure we were comfortable.
Stay here - as long as I'm not in town that weekend.
My teenage boys and I had a wonderful time in New Orleans over Xmas and Robby Brennan was a great host. His place is very conveniently located in Marigny, a few blocks from the french Quarter and Frenchman street and great jazz venues and restaurants. Robby, although absent during our stay, was thoughtful and considerate and checked on us regularly to make sure everything was going well. The place was comfortable for 3 and was pleasantly decorated with books, CDs, posters and painting. The place would gain a lot more points with a thorough cleaning. Overall, we were very happy with our stay and recommend the Chicory House for its convenient location and kindness of its host.
Robby's a super cool,mellow dude. He was really nice and help full and even made a special trip to get me and my wife some food. He made our second wedding anniversery even more relaxing . I highly recommend staying at his pad. thanks brother...